Thread: Electric Cannon Dowrigger question

Default Electric Cannon Dowrigger question

My first experience with these, have used Scotty's exclusively. My cannons have the auto up feature, but unlike my scotty riggers, there aren't any beads installed to stop the process. Does the Cannon system use these?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Electronics count the depth by magnets on older versions and the new ones just use the wire as a ground so when it departs the water it stops.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I use these in a smaller boat. When using the auto up it would slam the weight into the pole just as it stopped because not enough time once it was out of the water. I added a heavy 12" rubber snubber between the line and lead weight. This shuts it off with the weight at water level instead of slamming into the pole. Works much better. On 5 th year with no problems to date.

Using the rubber snubs works because it breaks the small electrical circuit that takes places when the metal cable is in the water. hat's my understanding of how it works anyway.

I've thought about switching to a braided cable, but I'm not sure how the auto-stop feature would work. Anyone else?

(I'm probably over thinking this or my "understanding" is completely wrong...wouldn't be the first time!)

If you go synthetic the auto stop feature will not work as synthetic does not conduct. There is a whirr or whine noise with the metal cable when trolling. After reading a trolling book, that noise is supposed to be desirable. The key is the metal cable with regards to the auto stop which is really nice. Won't work with synthetic. Just fyi...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Using the rubber snubs works because it breaks the small electrical circuit that takes places when the metal cable is in the water. hat's my understanding of how it works anyway.
    You are correct that is why the rubber snub works. It breaks the electrical current while weight is in the water. Without it it would be coming up so much that even after the electrical break it would hit. With the snub it is easier to clear gear. Hit the auto up on the down roger that got the hit. Immediately hit the other after releasing the pole. While you real in the line both down riggers are up with weight at water level and not banging into the boat. Saves a king wrapping around the down rigger cable. At least that is the way we do it. With silvers we will turn into the side with a strike trying for a double. It seems that changing the speed slightly may entice a strike if in a school. If the double does not happen we usually clear as well.

Why woudl you clear gear after a hit??
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Why woudl you clear gear after a hit??
    Often with inexperienced young anglers and I got tired of losing fish due to wrapping the cable or tangling in the other line. It became easier to clear then deal with mess. It will depend on fish but if the make a run under the boat It seemed I was toast. It usually happened as they got close.

Leave the boat in gear, fish won't run at it, no tanlges with the riggers, and the other rods are still fishing. Fish runs and burns all that energy off away from the boat and you don't have to worry about fish running at the boat and keeping line tight. Big fish, circle em, sounds bat *^&% crazy I know, but wait till your double, tripled or quaded up with kings on becuase your gear is fishing when it wold be dead in teh water or hanging in the rack. Me, I'd rather hook 3 and land 2 than hook one and land one. I considered changing up until my buddy, a hardcore west coast troller said no, "you loose way fewer fish doing it your way". I'm batting about 85% on hookups to landing so far this season.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Thanks I will give that a try. Do you keep it at the troll speed or do you back off on speed. I am assuming that when you say circle the big fish you are referring to turning in so that the fish is on the inside of boat and your other line is on the outside, assuming 2 downriggers and not stacking lines. I am always looking to learn new ways. I am an old dog but I do learn new tricks. Thanks for the info.

I run 4 riggers, but ya, I turn to the side that gets me out of traffic if there is any or the side that has teh elas gear. i the end I net all my fish off the stern so if the fish bolts he goes away from the gear, not under the boat. Just make a big circle, keep teh fish off of eatierh quater. Back teh speed down if needed and good to go.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com