Thread: Recommended Dip Nets for Copper River

Default Recommended Dip Nets for Copper River

I'm soliciting advice on what type of dip net members are using on the Copper River. I have a 3 foot hoop type made by Ron Fuller in Chugiak. I have had good success with it in certain spots, but it was not very effective in those areas where I needed a longer handle such as standing on a rock outcropping about 6-10 feet above the water. It seemed that those who were using a rig that appeared closer in shape to a landing net with a very long handle were having much better success in those situations.

Where would I find something like that, BJ's in Anchorage?

Thanks in advance.

I have bought them at Walmart and Sam's Club, but I didn't see them there this year. I did see them at Three Rivers Fly & Tackle in Wasilla. I also saw the replacement Donalson bags at Walmart for $40, so I picked one up. Nothing worse than shredding a bag when the fish are running and standing there mending nets while the fish rush past. Good fishing.

My favorite dipnet net has become a 3' hoop from Donalson's with a smaller mesh than the typical gill net. Prevents most gilling and makes getting the fish out SO much easier. If you're drifting or dipping an eddy with a good current you don't really need a gill net to keep the fish in...just yank it when you feel the bump. If I'm in a really good eddy that has more fishing depth, I'll break out a bigger net to maximize my coverage.

Thanks guys.

what about if I am dipping from a boat? I am a rookie dipper and will be heading to the copper on a boat this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    what about if I am dipping from a boat? I am a rookie dipper and will be heading to the copper on a boat this weekend.
    I just got back from the Copper 7 hours ago. Best net from a boat? The small ones! We watched so many people launching that had these huge round Kenai Nets. The smaller nets are quicker to bring up (hand over hand). I have a much smaller net than everyone else due to a long ago wrist injury - 9 times out of 10 this net "out nets" the midsized nets. Good luck on your trip - we caught 120 Reds in 6 hours and had a blast!