Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof kings

Default Kasilof kings

Any news on Kasilof king fishing? Recommendations on a charter captain?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Any news on Kasilof king fishing? Recommendations on a charter captain?
    Nearing guide service he's catching fish every day! 907-252-8856

Most charters are hooking into fish everyday

Gregg brush with EZ limit
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Mark Wackler at fishology

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I was down there this weekend. With as much guide pressure it is getting it will get impaired like Kenai as well if they don't restrict it somehow. I watched a guides client hook a fish wear it out, another client netted it pull it out of the water bang against the boat, row to shore, pull it out of the water multiple times for pictures and then had to revive it for 5+ minutes for it to probably go off and turn belly up. If that these cherished fish are treated all for a picture and some money to exchange hands, we won't have king fishing for any of us much longer!

Insanity. Have we learned nothing from The Kenai ?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I was down there this weekend. With as much guide pressure it is getting it will get impaired like Kenai as well if they don't restrict it somehow. I watched a guides client hook a fish wear it out, another client netted it pull it out of the water bang against the boat, row to shore, pull it out of the water multiple times for pictures and then had to revive it for 5+ minutes for it to probably go off and turn belly up. If that these cherished fish are treated all for a picture and some money to exchange hands, we won't have king fishing for any of us much longer!
    Where in the hell are the fish cops when ya need them.........huh?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Where in the hell are the fish cops when ya need them.........huh?
    There on the Kenai wondering where all the fisherman are.

Greed and narcissism know no bounds!

Been on the river a lot and noticed a lot of people fighting fish to death. Please, land your fish quickly, and when they run down stream into the fast water, don't stand there and hold it in the current, follow it down around the corner and into slack water. Seen several fish played to death being fought against the heavy current areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Its already over for this river too, it wont sustain that kind of pressure and its been that way the past two years already.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Been on the river a lot and noticed a lot of people fighting fish to death. Please, land your fish quickly, and when they run down stream into the fast water, don't stand there and hold it in the current, follow it down around the corner and into slack water. Seen several fish played to death being fought against the heavy current areas.
    I've noticed that a lot up here. People go to the river with inadequate gear for catch and release fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    I've noticed that a lot up here. People go to the river with inadequate gear for catch and release fishing.
    In my opinion it should be single barbless hooks as well.

Ironically in the mid 90's it had just as much guide issues as it does now. There's just a load of people fishing that river! With the kenai closures/limit's its only getting worse. It's been a few years but I remember not having room to get into a hole without being on top of another boat!

As the state goes to more and more limited or complete closures, the other rivers we're fishing will get just as hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Ironically in the mid 90's it had just as much guide issues as it does now. There's just a load of people fishing that river! With the kenai closures/limit's its only getting worse. It's been a few years but I remember not having room to get into a hole without being on top of another boat!

As the state goes to more and more limited or complete closures, the other rivers we're fishing will get just as hammered.
    In the 90's they supplemented the run with hatchery kings 10x more than they do now. The local hatchery was run by the commercial fisheries division. The hatchery fish now come from the ANC hatchery from ship creek stock from my understanding.

Either way any run that was supplemented by the anchorage hatchery that closed when the power plant on Eielson shut down, is going to take awhile to rebuild now that stockings coming back around. The 5 year plan is going to take a bit.

The wild run was to my recollection never catch and kill fishery so everything was stockers only. Which is fine by me. regardless it was a bumper boat derby just above trajillo's! I've pulled a few kwicks out of my anchor rope off that river. Found better less crowded and closer fishing elsewhere (without spending 20bucks to launch/pull out!). Its looking like we may be down that way in a couple weeks...might have to give the float a go again see how she's doing.

Kasilof has been catch and kill for both wild and hatchery fish until this year, and that by EO. Two that I have caught on my fly rod this year were wild, and I have seen plenty of other wild fish released.

I have been down to People's Hole for two weeks now, and have seen plenty of kings caught, and caught a few myself. They are thick enough to be foul hooked fairly easily, and those poor fish get played to death if caught by the tail or in the back.

I have never seen enforcement down on the river. In all the years I have fished there, the only time I have been stopped was up in the parking lot. People are aware of that, and shenanigans go on that shouldn't.

In my opinion, the Kasilof is the Kenai's little step-sister and becomes a sacrifice when the Kenai is not open for kings.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Either way any run that was supplemented by the anchorage hatchery that closed when the power plant on Eielson shut down, is going to take awhile to rebuild now that stockings coming back around. The 5 year plan is going to take a bit.

The wild run was to my recollection never catch and kill fishery so everything was stockers only. Which is fine by me. regardless it was a bumper boat derby just above trajillo's! I've pulled a few kwicks out of my anchor rope off that river. Found better less crowded and closer fishing elsewhere (without spending 20bucks to launch/pull out!). Its looking like we may be down that way in a couple weeks...might have to give the float a go again see how she's doing.
    That would be the Elmendorf power plant.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We've seen brownshirts down on the corner at the bottom of the people hole a few times, a couple of plain cloths troopers as well.

For some reason I thought we had to release wilds the last couple times we fished it. Its been awhile and my memory is picture perfect ha! I remember having to specifically look for that adipose and we let wilds go..that was mid 90's.

If the upper copper closes we'll likely be down next week during the week. Have friends coming up who have family down that'a way. I'd rather be fishing than sitting in someones house lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast