Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! New bow string maker, tuner in Fairbanks, Alaska

Smile Hello! New bow string maker, tuner in Fairbanks, Alaska

Hello there! I am a bow string maker in Fairbanks and just wanted to introduce myself!

My wife is 3rd generation Alaskan from Homer and I am from AZ with 30+ years bow hunting. I got into making strings for myself 14 years ago and have been making them since. My strings are no rotation, no stretch and no shoot-in time. I have not had the opportunity to hunt up here yet, but I am really looking forward to it. This is God's Country for sure!

I also tune bows, install the strings. I handcraft wooden recurves and longbows also but not selling yet.

Look forward to everyones posts and thanks for having us on here!

When you get 'unbusy' with strings lol, I'd like to check some of the sticks out. I'm going like a mad man for a few weeks. Shoot me an email akdan76@Yahoo.com

I also do Flemish twists, usually give strings away instead of selling. I have too much junk LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    When you get 'unbusy' with strings lol, I'd like to check some of the sticks out. I'm going like a mad man for a few weeks. Shoot me an email akdan76@Yahoo.com

I also do Flemish twists, usually give strings away instead of selling. I have too much junk LOL!
    We do not have any bows at the moment, probably not until August or later. Getting settled from the move and of course working fulltime. I will shoot you an email when one is done. Flemish twists, sure, we do those too. We can't afford to give them away.
    Custom: Compound Bow Strings, Custom Bows, Custom Muzzleloaders

Welcome!

Hope your new business is successful and leaves you time to pursue that which you have made your livelihood

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

How do your strings compare to little john strings and other string makers over on archery talk? There was a string maker in Tucson he was a bowtech dealer as well. He made some of the best strings out there. Then one day he closed up shop stop making strings and retired. He had a part in running the Sunrise 3d Shoot as well in Arizona. Man I wish he would of kept making strings. Anyhow what do you pre stretch them too? what material are you using and most important what colors you have. What I hate most guys claim no peep twist but string gets installed and you have to shoot it 100-200 times to get the string settled in.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    How do your strings compare to little john strings and other string makers over on archery talk? There was a string maker in Tucson he was a bowtech dealer as well. He made some of the best strings out there. Then one day he closed up shop stop making strings and retired. He had a part in running the Sunrise 3d Shoot as well in Arizona. Man I wish he would of kept making strings. Anyhow what do you pre stretch them too? what material are you using and most important what colors you have. What I hate most guys claim no peep twist but string gets installed and you have to shoot it 100-200 times to get the string settled in.
    I have been making strings since 2004, I have used a variety of material over the years and have found that a 100% Dyneema string such as Dynaflight 10 or 8190 from BCY does trhe trick, or Brownells Fury strings.

I have a stretching process that does ensure that once installed you will not have any shoot-in times, not even 5 shots...the string will never move again...this is attained thru a 2 hour stretching process that I developed over the years...the strings I produce truly do not stretch or rotate.

Right now the products I am using are BCY Dynaflight10 and BCY 8190. As of July 1st I will be switching back to Brownells new Fury string.
    These strings are truly strings that perform as advertised and I have customer account of that.

In my current string inventory from BCY material I have black, white, flo orange, purple, flo green, mtn berry, tan, cedar, pink, baby blue, blue, red, silver. As of July 1st we will not be using any of the above colors unless requested by a customer. Our string material will be Brownells new Fury string which will give us black, white, medium brown, dark brown, blue, red, forest green, flo pink, flo orange, flo purple, flo green, gray, bronze, natural cedar, and teal.

The new string material will yield the same performance as the BCY product, with some durability added, the no rotation, no stretch and the outright performance of a string is not in the material, but in the making process....a good stringmaker can make an excellent string from any dyneema based material and that includes the old stuff like dynaflight 97 and others....the new string material out on the market today is somewhat hype by the string mfgrs BCY and Brownell....most of it is not needed....but most buy into the new material as being better.

I could send you a string made out of dynaflight 97 and one from 8190, all aspects of our string performance would be made from both sets...absolutely no difference.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! I will be happy to answer anything you have!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Welcome!

Hope your new business is successful and leaves you time to pursue that which you have made your livelihood

Juli
    Thank you Juli!

hey just checked out your site, looks pretty cool! I take it you aren't doing this full time yet? I would like to see another archery shop open up here ( the last guy left because of issues with his lease?). I like going to a local shop for my fishing/hunting stuff.

I do have a question:
    whats the diffrence between a custom string and say the string that came on my bow? (other then just that yours look pretty sweet). also how often should someone replace their bow string?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    hey just checked out your site, looks pretty cool! I take it you aren't doing this full time yet? I would like to see another archery shop open up here ( the last guy left because of issues with his lease?). I like going to a local shop for my fishing/hunting stuff.

I do have a question:
    whats the diffrence between a custom string and say the string that came on my bow? (other then just that yours look pretty sweet). also how often should someone replace their bow string?

thanks
    Thank you about the site! VistaPrint makes it easy to set up...lol Yeah, not fulltime...YET. In August we can start selling custom bows and that may propel us into the funds to open a shop. Would love to open up.

Custom strings as opposed to factory strings is this: Ours and handmade so they are just better quality all the way around. We take pride in our strings and without machines building them we can see any defects that may occur. Plus with handcrafted strings they are no stretch and no rotation because we can take the time to use the correct process that a machine could not do. They usually last longer too. The thread is the same most likely, its the process that makes it different.

Usually once a year is good for strings. Some hunters though like to take our in the field because there is no shoot in time and in case their string stretches too much or breaks or whatever they can slap our on and go without having to take the time to shoot-in to settle the string in.

If you need anyting. juet let us know. We are trying to get my bow up here soon so we can go to some meets. Maybe we will see you around!

I would certainly love to hear your input about reasons for replacing strings yearly. I always thought it was only necessary to replace them when they started showing serious fraying or flaws...I do check mine regularly and wax it regularly also.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Why don't you sell on archery talk any more?

The only reason we say that is because that is the average that people need them. Yeah, when they are frayed, etc... There is no set time.

To be honest, because of about 20 people who I have never done business with, including some of the admin. Not one of them bought strings from me nor requested strings. I will never ever go to Archery Talk and if anyone here is a fan of that forum, cool, glad they can get something out of it but that place is not for me. They try to keep their views high so that advertisers will buy spots. The advertisers do not care how the views are high, just that they are there. When you have admin saying, "We do not want drama." but then totally encouraging it, meh... forget them. There are good people who go there but about 20 people who are just there to stir up problems and lies. There have been several who have been harassed off of there and I know several who refuse to go there for that very reason. Archery Talk means nothing. I am not about to bring that drama into this forum. If you bought strings from me or my counter part, then have it out right here on this public forum. If not, then leave it lay.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakIslandArchery View Post
    The only reason we say that is because that is the average that people need them. Yeah, when they are frayed, etc... There is no set time.
    Thanks! I was wondering if I was not taking proper care of my bow/bowstring.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakIslandArchery View Post
    To be honest, because of about 20 people who I have never done business with, including some of the admin. Not one of them bought strings from me nor requested strings. I will never ever go to Archery Talk and if anyone here is a fan of that forum, cool, glad they can get something out of it but that place is not for me. They try to keep their views high so that advertisers will buy spots. The advertisers do not care how the views are high, just that they are there. When you have admin saying, "We do not want drama." but then totally encouraging it, meh... forget them. There are good people who go there but about 20 people who are just there to stir up problems and lies. There have been several who have been harassed off of there and I know several who refuse to go there for that very reason. Archery Talk means nothing. I am not about to bring that drama into this forum. If you bought strings from me or my counter part, then have it out right here on this public forum. If not, then leave it lay.
    Slow down there skippy. First off I think AT is a joke and has been since it's changed from archers retreat back in the beginning. Not sure what issues you had there nor do I care. I do however frequent AT classifieds and an occasional sub forum and have used the services of a string maker or two there. Your buisness name is Kodiak Island and I am from Alaska and would of remembered seeing it over there if I did. I didn't so I asked a simple question. But you are correct lets leave the drama out of this forum it has enough of its own..

For the record I buy lots of strings and like giving my money to the local archery buisness and most know me. If you want to sell strings you might want to post up some pics..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Slow down there skippy. First off I think AT is a joke and has been since it's changed from archers retreat back in the beginning. Not sure what issues you had there nor do I care. I do however frequent AT classifieds and an occasional sub forum and have used the services of a string maker or two there. Your buisness name is Kodiak Island and I am from Alaska and would of remembered seeing it over there if I did. I didn't so I asked a simple question. But you are correct lets leave the drama out of this forum it has enough of its own..

For the record I buy lots of strings and like giving my money to the local archery buisness and most know me. If you want to sell strings you might want to post up some pics..
    lol, sorry... But those guys have been ruthless over there and honestly one or two pop up just about everywhere I have gone to and so I am a little defensive...lol sorry about that!

We never sold on AT. It's just too much of a pain. I have some pics on my profile page... We advertise on Craigslist, facebook and also word of mouth. We have sold some locally here in Fairbanks already. Only been open a month. We have a facebook page as well and there are pics on our website which is in my signature as well.

DSC_0078 (2).jpgphoto 5.jpg

Here are some photos!

DSC_0118.jpgRecurve.jpg

Here are some more. Hope you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

Man you hoyt shooter just one peg below matthews shooters LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Man you hoyt shooter just one peg below matthews shooters LOL.
    Ha I'm safe. I don't shoot hoyt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast