Thread: Anchorages outside of Resurrection Bay?

Default Anchorages outside of Resurrection Bay?

Where do you overnight after a trip to the Chiswell Islands? Is there anywhere close that's well protected? I have spent a few nights in Agnes Cove and found it agreeable but have not tried any of the coves to the northwest of Aialik Cape. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Also if you have experience with any good places to overnight on a trip back from Montague or Cape Junken that would be helpful too. Most trips I head back to the harbor and overnight in the slip but gas is expensive and it would be nice to delay the trip back.

Ideally the Lethcoes would write a "Cruising Guide for Resurrection Bay and Beyond". Their Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound is a fantastic resource.

I have heard from folks that you can tuck back in Ailiak and that area - would be the closest. I go back to port, but I have small boat.

I haven't overnighted there, but Chat cove is fairly well protected. You can go further up the bay and tuck into Paradise cove, but then you'd be running the same distance as from Agnes.

One thing about those coves, they get fairly deep fairly close to shore so anchoring with sufficient scope and keeping away from shore might be a challenge.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16682.shtml
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have a "Cruising Guide to Western Southcentral Alaska, Kenai Fjords" By Mark Ward 2010. It looks like 5 of the first 8 anchorages listed would be something to check out. The drawings and descriptions seem have most the information needed. It list 19 anchorages between Cape Aialik and Gore Point.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    I have a "Cruising Guide to Western Southcentral Alaska, Kenai Fjords" By Mark Ward 2010. It looks like 5 of the first 8 anchorages listed would be something to check out. The drawings and descriptions seem have most the information needed. It list 19 anchorages between Cape Aialik and Gore Point.
    Where did you purchase that guide? I don't see it in the bookstore on this site (outdoors directory) and its not on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Is there a local shop in Anchorage that sells it? Google has failed me

I have anchored overnight in Paradise Cove in Three Hole Bay. It is pretty well protected. It is deep so you have to anchor in fairly close to shore. The nice thing in comparision to Agnes which is probably a compareable distance is no one else used it while I was there. The three coves were worth exploring just to see new areas. The rock fish were plentiful if you wanted to catch some dinner. I also use it as a relaxing lunch spot if the water is getting rolly. There are a number of nice places to explore in Aialik Bay that do not get the traffic of Resurrection Bay due to distance required..

"Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords" is a nice guide book for the area with a lot of historic information as well. If you are up for a bit of a run Taz Basin on Granite Island is a nice spot to overnight, though it can be extremely weather dependent.

Deak
    Inside the "Cruising Guide" it says to contact Mark Ward: mvward@anmc.org
    1304 W. 13th Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501

I have a 2010 version

I also agree "Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords" by David Miller, Wilderness Images Press is useful.

Thanks!
    I just tried the mvward@anmc.org address and it is no longer a good address.
    I found another email address for the author of the cruising guide on the Facebook page for the Seward Yacht Club. I messages him there and I'll let everyone know if that's a good contact method. Maybe there are other people here that would like a copy too.

It seems to me I picked up a copy of the Cruising Guide at Title Wave Books