Thread: Rookie boat owner and dipnetter

Default Rookie boat owner and dipnetter

So last fall I bought a 15 foot zodiac with a 35 hp Suzuki engine.(two stroke so no kenai) Had the engine serviced to make sure it was good to go. Now my only problem is this is the first year I can dipnet and I have never really operated a boat before. Any suggestions on where its most likely ill have decent results with a boat in an area that isn;t to tricky to operate? Thanks

Anchorge area? Kenai?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you, I'd hit the Kasilof for dipnetting. Put your boat in on the beach, and run up into the mouth. No 2 stroke restrictions, good deep water, lots of fish, not so much traffic. Just my .o2

I'm from the anchorage area but i'll dipnet anywhere the fishing is good. Thanks for the info about the kasilof. i'll do some research as to when the season opens.

What jktimm said - great place for a beginning operator - I would definitely NOT plan on a trip on the Copper at this point.

so im not a picky Alaskan yet. with that being said, are copper reds that much better tasting? than kp and ksilof?

The oil content of salmon is directly proportional to the length of drainage they have to travel up to spawn, as it corresponds to how much energy they need to make the journey home.

Shorter rivers tend to have fish that is a bit drier - but are still great table fare. Sockeye on the Kenai or Kasilof are usually HUGE and bright relatively speaking; I know many folks that prefer them over Copper for this reason.

You will be thrilled with fish from the Kasilof for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    so im not a picky Alaskan yet. with that being said, are copper reds that much better tasting? than kp and ksilof?
    Yes, they are the best tasting of all reds, but no fish is worth dying for...a rookie boater in a 15 foot zodiak, has no business on the Copper River...unless they have a death wish.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Default Kasilof first boat dipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    If I were you, I'd hit the Kasilof for dipnetting. Put your boat in on the beach, and run up into the mouth. No 2 stroke restrictions, good deep water, lots of fish, not so much traffic. Just my .o2
    This is first rate advice for the equipment you have. The downside is that so few people do it there that you might not have anyone to follow, to find the spots that produce the best for boats there. If that's the case, just stay beyond all nets as you cruise by the shore dippers. Know that at the Kasilof (unlike Kenai) the boaters and shore dippers share a single place, so it is cozier. Shore dippers like boat dippers because their passage by "scares" a bit of a wave of fish into nets just as the boat is almost there.

Also you can just turn off your motor a sec and talk to the shore dippers; they'll tell you where to go (in a good way I bet - let me know).

"never really operated a boat before".. Take a Coast Guard boat course as soon as possible. Catching fish is secondary to safely operating a boat! You do not get a lot of second chances in Alaskan waters be they salt or fresh, oceans or rivers.

Default What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    Good advice. Check the tide tables so you've got at least 1/2 a flood. Launch from the South shore. Bigger version can be found here. Subtract roughly 20 minutes difference for the mouth of the Kasilof.

Whats the horse power needed for kaslof with a 2 stroke jet? And 18 footbaluminum boat?
    Semper Fi!

I have a 15 foot zodiac with a 2 stroke 40hp motor on it and I would not take it to the copper - I have not seen the copper where they dipnet, but I would not do it.

PS. The scales stick to a zodiac like superglue - wash it seriously good right away. Reds don't have a ton of loose scales like a silver - nonetheless they stick good to the rubber.

I'm just back from the Kasilof a few hours ago. There was a guy, his wife and his kid operating an inflatable Zodiak, about 10 ft long with a 3.5 hp nissan outboard. He told me they had netted 16 fish on that tide to my 8. (Two nets going to my one.) He lost power and drifted into us once, then, later, I saw hi pulling his own nets out of the prop.

I also two larger aluminum boats on the river today At any rate, Kasilof is a good place for your boat as there is little boat traffic and no need for big boat or big horse power. Plus, with your 2 stroke, it is pretty mush your only option.

I do suggest that whoever is your boat operator only operates the boat, if possible. Let others net, club, and gut your fish.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I'm just back from the Kasilof a few hours ago. There was a guy, his wife and his kid operating an inflatable Zodiak, about 10 ft long with a 3.5 hp nissan outboard. He told me they had netted 16 fish on that tide to my 8. (Two nets going to my one.) He lost power and drifted into us once, then, later, I saw hi pulling his own nets out of the prop.

I also two larger aluminum boats on the river today At any rate, Kasilof is a good place for your boat as there is little boat traffic and no need for big boat or big horse power. Plus, with your 2 stroke, it is pretty mush your only option.

I do suggest that whoever is your boat operator only operates the boat, if possible. Let others net, club, and gut your fish.
    Kasilof is a great place to learn how to dip with a boat. Don't let slack tide fool you...the fish are still there out in the middle swimming in place. If you find one, do short loops in that area, rather than long drifts along the edges.