Thread: US releases boat to China after illegal fishing

Default US releases boat to China after illegal fishing

And yet people blame the commercial guys here in Ak!
    Seriously they should have let the boat pick up its nets they had set and then impounded the boat and sold it at auction.
    They also should have seized the cargo and used the fish to feed the hungary here in Ak or elsewhere in the USA.
    This is what i think we should do more often. Certainly would make them think twice. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...op/255066.html
    or this http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rmen/?page=all
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Nothing makes sense anymore. We let bad guys go free as a matter of course and punish those who do well.

Meanwhile in Homer a Homer-ported longliner showed up over-quota with under sized halibut along with fillets on ice in the hold and illegal bycatch (lingcod) as well. NOAA seized the fish and the boat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Nothing makes sense anymore....
    You said a mouthful there for sure......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Opps i think they hit a iceberg . oh darn. hope they can swim back home, if not they can help the little fish grow. sucks we owe so much money to china we look the other way. 40 years ago that boat would of just gone missing.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

the boat should have been used as a target for the coast guard... Wonder how many 40mm boffors rounds it would take before going under?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    And yet people blame the commercial guys here in Ak!
    Seriously they should have let the boat pick up its nets they had set and then impounded the boat and sold it at auction.
    They also should have seized the cargo and used the fish to feed the hungary here in Ak or elsewhere in the USA.
    This is what i think we should do more often. Certainly would make them think twice. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...op/255066.html
    or this http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rmen/?page=all
    They hadn't set the nets, just pitched them over the side so they wouldn't get caught with them.

They were turned over to the Chinese Coast Guard, who had Officers on board the Morgenthau.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Of course glad they're patrolling but I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars the US spent just dealing with this one boat that they did not even seize to try to recoup expenses.

Having the chinese observers aboard, I bet they had a deal just to send'm home when they found'm......

Mores to pity that we'll treat our own citizens far far harsher than a foreigner doing the same thing.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Of course glad they're patrolling but I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars the US spent just dealing with this one boat that they did not even seize to try to recoup expenses.

Having the chinese observers aboard, I bet they had a deal just to send'm home when they found'm......

Mores to pity that we'll treat our own citizens far far harsher than a foreigner doing the same thing.
    Not too sure that siezing the boat would help recoup anything. By seizing the boat, we would be taking on all the expenses associated with the boat. Harborage costs, repairs and maintenace (the boat was noted to be leaking polution), pay someone to deal with 1000 lbs of salmon (process it? dump it because its adulterated?) Everyone knows that boats are big-azzed holes in the water in which to pour money....this one would be no different.