Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help... ran out of Roe!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default Help... ran out of Roe!

    Does anyone Know of anyone who is willing to sell me some cured or none cured roe, i ran out this weekend fishing for kings, i did not think i would go through so much for one weekend. Any ideas let me know, please no comments on store roe it sucks and is way to expensive.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Is it even legal to sell roe? I was under the impression it wasn't legal to sell sport caught fish or parts

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    good question idk i can barter, never really looked up the regs, figured it was since the alaskan bait company sells roe at the stores.

  4. #4
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    good question idk i can barter, never really looked up the regs, figured it was since the alaskan bait company sells roe at the stores.
    My guess is the Alaskan bait company has a permit to do so.
    Just like the canneries can sell fish and fish parts because they have a state isssued permit to do so.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    that is a good point, ill ask the troopers tomarrow if it is legal to trade dead eggs, only thing i have read was that you can not able to trade or use any eggs from a different river system that is not cured. If anyone has a link to the rule id appre*****e it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    that is a good point, ill ask the troopers tomarrow if it is legal to trade dead eggs, only thing i have read was that you can not able to trade or use any eggs from a different river system that is not cured. If anyone has a link to the rule id appre*****e it.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

    Page 4 (only page at that link) of the statewide sport fishing regs from here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.sc_sportfish

    "Sale of sport-caught fish unlawful: No person may buy, sell, or barter sport-caught fish or their parts."

    I would guess the roe you get at the store or "bait shops" is not from sport-caught fish. Most likely harvested from commercially caught fish, the same way fish is obtained for sale through the grocery stores.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Ya i saw that also but i saw parts being indicated that its the actually parts, such as cheeks and so on. I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is... Definately dont wanna break any rules, but thats kinda weird to not allow roe to be sold if someone does not have a need for it anymore, ie the casters or the dip netters.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Ya i saw that also but i saw parts being indicated that its the actually parts, such as cheeks and so on. I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is... Definately dont wanna break any rules, but thats kinda weird to not allow roe to be sold if someone does not have a need for it anymore, ie the casters or the dip netters.
    If you don't mind, please post the answer you get from the Troopers. I'm sure there are a number of people who would like to know for sure one way or another.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Ya i will post what they tell me, because bait is bait , does not make since to force someone who has cured the eggs and would like to sell some to a friend. I see no way of disturbing the ego system or inhibiting unfair trade, specially since it will be put to waste anyways.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Ya i will post what they tell me, because bait is bait , does not make since to force someone who has cured the eggs and would like to sell some to a friend. I see no way of disturbing the ego system or inhibiting unfair trade, specially since it will be put to waste anyways.
    I would guess (just my opinion) that the reasoning is that they don't want to create a market for sport-caught fish/wildlife. It has the potential to lead to people misusing the sport fishing/hunting systems for commercial gain.

  11. #11
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Ya i will post what they tell me, because bait is bait , does not make since to force someone who has cured the eggs and would like to sell some to a friend. I see no way of disturbing the ego system or inhibiting unfair trade, specially since it will be put to waste anyways.
    That may be bait to you, but it's food to others. Just like salmon bellies are bait to some folks and food to others. Just like fish heads are bait to some folks, and food to others.

    Fact is that sport-caught fish, in whole or in parts, cannot legally be bought, sold or bartered.

  12. #12
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That may be bait to you, but it's food to others. Just like salmon bellies are bait to some folks and food to others. Just like fish heads are bait to some folks, and food to others.

    Fact is that sport-caught fish, in whole or in parts, cannot legally be bought, sold or bartered.
    Bingo, straight to the point
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  13. #13
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    ....I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is...
    Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    ...Ya i will post what they tell me,...
    So...what did they tell ya?
    "Grin and Bear It"

  14. #14
    Member .300wby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would guess (just my opinion) that the reasoning is that they don't want to create a market for sport-caught fish/wildlife. It has the potential to lead to people misusing the sport fishing/hunting systems for commercial gain.
    Not to be confused with say.... Guiding.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Not to be confused with say.... Guiding.
    Completely different thing.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Ok I have found the answer, and before I stat this I do not want anyone to think my intentions of breaking any form of rules. Fish or any part of the fish including a fin can not be sold or bartered in any form but according to the trooper "it can be given away and money could be given away also as a donation or gift", the second fish and game person I spoke to also informed me that it is not to be sold for the intent of making profit or inspiring poaching, but it was suggested that this rule is ..... how do I say this .. in the realm of jay walking. So let me rephrase my question to everyone since I have found out it is indeed illegal to sell roe. Does anyone have any roe they can give me with out any form of promised compensation of their generosity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •