Thread: Help... ran out of Roe!

Default Help... ran out of Roe!

Does anyone Know of anyone who is willing to sell me some cured or none cured roe, i ran out this weekend fishing for kings, i did not think i would go through so much for one weekend. Any ideas let me know, please no comments on store roe it sucks and is way to expensive.

Is it even legal to sell roe? I was under the impression it wasn't legal to sell sport caught fish or parts

good question idk i can barter, never really looked up the regs, figured it was since the alaskan bait company sells roe at the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    good question idk i can barter, never really looked up the regs, figured it was since the alaskan bait company sells roe at the stores.
    My guess is the Alaskan bait company has a permit to do so.
    Just like the canneries can sell fish and fish parts because they have a state isssued permit to do so.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

that is a good point, ill ask the troopers tomarrow if it is legal to trade dead eggs, only thing i have read was that you can not able to trade or use any eggs from a different river system that is not cured. If anyone has a link to the rule id appre*****e it.

that is a good point, ill ask the troopers tomarrow if it is legal to trade dead eggs, only thing i have read was that you can not able to trade or use any eggs from a different river system that is not cured. If anyone has a link to the rule id appre*****e it.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Page 4 (only page at that link) of the statewide sport fishing regs from here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.sc_sportfish

"Sale of sport-caught fish unlawful: No person may buy, sell, or barter sport-caught fish or their parts."

I would guess the roe you get at the store or "bait shops" is not from sport-caught fish. Most likely harvested from commercially caught fish, the same way fish is obtained for sale through the grocery stores.

Ya i saw that also but i saw parts being indicated that its the actually parts, such as cheeks and so on. I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is... Definately dont wanna break any rules, but thats kinda weird to not allow roe to be sold if someone does not have a need for it anymore, ie the casters or the dip netters.

Ya i saw that also but i saw parts being indicated that its the actually parts, such as cheeks and so on. I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is... Definately dont wanna break any rules, but thats kinda weird to not allow roe to be sold if someone does not have a need for it anymore, ie the casters or the dip netters.
    If you don't mind, please post the answer you get from the Troopers. I'm sure there are a number of people who would like to know for sure one way or another.

Ya i will post what they tell me, because bait is bait , does not make since to force someone who has cured the eggs and would like to sell some to a friend. I see no way of disturbing the ego system or inhibiting unfair trade, specially since it will be put to waste anyways.

Ya i will post what they tell me, because bait is bait , does not make since to force someone who has cured the eggs and would like to sell some to a friend. I see no way of disturbing the ego system or inhibiting unfair trade, specially since it will be put to waste anyways.
    I would guess (just my opinion) that the reasoning is that they don't want to create a market for sport-caught fish/wildlife. It has the potential to lead to people misusing the sport fishing/hunting systems for commercial gain.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That may be bait to you, but it's food to others. Just like salmon bellies are bait to some folks and food to others. Just like fish heads are bait to some folks, and food to others.

Fact is that sport-caught fish, in whole or in parts, cannot legally be bought, sold or bartered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That may be bait to you, but it's food to others. Just like salmon bellies are bait to some folks and food to others. Just like fish heads are bait to some folks, and food to others.

Fact is that sport-caught fish, in whole or in parts, cannot legally be bought, sold or bartered.
    Bingo, straight to the point
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

....I have a trooper contacting me tomarrow to make sure what the rule really is...
    ...Ya i will post what they tell me,...
    So...what did they tell ya?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would guess (just my opinion) that the reasoning is that they don't want to create a market for sport-caught fish/wildlife. It has the potential to lead to people misusing the sport fishing/hunting systems for commercial gain.
    Not to be confused with say.... Guiding.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Not to be confused with say.... Guiding.
    Completely different thing.

Ok I have found the answer, and before I stat this I do not want anyone to think my intentions of breaking any form of rules. Fish or any part of the fish including a fin can not be sold or bartered in any form but according to the trooper "it can be given away and money could be given away also as a donation or gift", the second fish and game person I spoke to also informed me that it is not to be sold for the intent of making profit or inspiring poaching, but it was suggested that this rule is ..... how do I say this .. in the realm of jay walking. So let me rephrase my question to everyone since I have found out it is indeed illegal to sell roe. Does anyone have any roe they can give me with out any form of promised compensation of their generosity.