Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the alaska surfing forum?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Sitka too. Cold Salt Surf Shop was there a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure Kevin shut down his surf shop. Some very good surfing near Sitka. That's where I learned.

Didn't know you could surf J.S.

Here are some pix I took on Saturday at Lena Cove in Juneau.

Nice pix. Looks kinda breezy. Any idea of the wind speed/direction? Did you paddle out or were you just taking pix? Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Didn't know you could surf J.S.

Here are some pix I took on Saturday at Lena Cove in Juneau.

I was just taking pix. I'm a skier in the winter (and not crazy enuff to do the liquid water thing)

She was a full gale from the North. Sustained 35 mph winds, gust to 45 easy. A lot windier beyond the point on the right.

I thought 1st that was a joke but people really are surfing on that pictures...amazing..isn't that cold for them?

We go to Yak by ferry most every summer for the last 14 years ... always find some waves. Many different breaks, Not too cold with a good wet suit and few people. My daughter and I just returned from Nicaragua ... nicely shaped waves but always people. Additionally there is great kite boarding in Haines at the river mouth ...My son, not me, does that. There can be wind chop waves in Haines that can carry a board but short little ride and much colder than Yak.
    Julia

This is an awesome thread! I just moved back here last year from Hawaii and I've been suffering from wave withdrawals. I've definitely seen waves in Homer that were ride able. One thing I thought about was standing waves in the rivers. There are a lot of fast moving creeks and rivers here so there must be some standing waves around. I think that could be a blast too. In case you don't know what a standing wave is, here is a video.

Vince

I'm always on the lookout for standing waves. I spent years on Oahu surfing (surfers and sinners welcome) and always looking to get back on the water with a board.

I've been thinking long and hard about windsurfing. I haven't ever seen anyone wind surf here? Not the same thing, but perhaps even more suitable for it. Too bad dry suits are so expensive, or I think we'd see a great many more people on the water in most respects.

I still haven't found a good wave around here. Wish I still had my old Ben Aipa, or my Dennis Pang.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Iím not sure if he is still doing it but Scott Liska was running a boat out of seward. He would take people out to Montague. He had full gear and boards. Iíve gone out with him a few times and found good waves every time. It use to be called Alaska Surf Safaris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12