Thread: Kayak Angler get together June 28 - Whiskey Gulch

Default Kayak Angler get together June 28 - Whiskey Gulch

A repost from the Sea Kayaking section....

I wanted to post a heads up for all folks. There will be an informal gathering of a bunch of us kayak anglers on June 28. Tentative plans are to HQ out of Whiskey Gulch. Fishing will be allowed from Ninilchik down to Homer. Fishing tournament is for halibut starting Saturday and ending on noon Sunday. No kings this year to avoid hitting any of the spawners. We should have a few decent prizes for participant. Currently we expect a dozen people or so. Best of all, it's free!!!

It's a small group. Come fish with us or come down and say hello and check out the setups.

PM me for more information or add a comment here!

Here are the general rules we have so far... borrowed from NWKA's online tournament.

2014 NWKA Alaska Yak Classic Rules & Regulations

1. All fish entered must be caught by hook and line (i.e. hooked, fought, and landed) from a human power kayak, canoe, SUP/boards of no greater than 42" wide. The watercraft must be powered by a double bladed paddle (kayak style), leg drive system (Mirage or others), or single bladed paddle (canoe or SUP). Double/tandem paddlers are allowed. The use of amas/outriggers is allowed. Inflatable vessels paddled kayak or canoe style meeting the maximum width restrictions are allowed. Float tubes, belly boats, kick boats, and the like are NOT allowed. Vessels paddled rowing style are NOT allowed.

No mothershipping (defined in more detail in rule #6) allowed, the kayak must be under human powered control from launch until landing. Sails and/or motors are not allowed onboard even if they are not used.

All entries must be caught without aid from anyone else and using methods deemed legal according to the body of water from which they are caught.

2. All fish entered must be caught in Alaskan waters. Eligible launching locations are any public access (fee or non-fee areas) between Ninilchik and Homer. Fish caught from waterways with restricted access to the public, such as members only or private waterways or aquaculture operations, are not allowed.

3. Only halibut that you can legally retain are eligible.

4. The biggest halibut will from each angler's catch will be used towards the angler’s standing in the Big Fish Prize for the tournament. Primary measurements will be taken using an official measuring stick marked in inches. In the event of a tie for length of fish, these fish will be weighed with the same scale to determine the larger fish. All fish over 36 inches will be weighed.

Additional categories for prizes given can include, but are not limited to:

• Largest/Heaviest stringer (single day, tournament duration)
    • Smallest fish
    • Skunk award

5. Entries must be checked in for measurement and weight no later than 12 o’clock pm on June 29th at the Whiskey Gulch beach access area (“headquarters” location will be determined by camping spot location and availability). All entries must be presented for measurement as a complete fish. Fish that have been cut or altered (with the exception of viscera removed) will not be counted towards contest standings. (i.e. cut lips, chopped tails, filleted fish)

6. Use of motherships is prohibited. "Mothership" is defined as arriving by and launching from a boat. Use of a vessel(e.g. water taxi, ferry, or privately owned boat) to travel to a destination for overnight or multi-day trips is not considered mothershipping. Camping on boats is permitted and kayaks may be launched from the boat, as long as the vessel was moored overnight and the kayaks are launched from the overnight mooring location.

7. Fish caught while participating in, or in conjunction with, a paid and/or guided trip may not be entered. This includes guides, comped participants, and paid clients.

Just some further info.

There is no entry fee...or frankly formal event. This is just a grass roots deal. Here is the current prize list.

1) Sg release reel (MSRP $249) donated by a NWKA member.
    2) Shakespeare Line counter reel and rod. Homer Chamber of Commerce and Sportman's warehouse
    3) PFD - Homer Chamber of Commerce and Sportman's warehouse
    4) Drybag Homer Chamber of Commerce and Sportman's warehouse
    5) Assortment of handmade jigs. Donated by Kasilofchris on the the Alaska Outdoor Directory.
    6) A trophy donated by kardinal_84

Any assitance or ideas for further prizes would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have specific video from last years event, but I did include a few photos in my yearly highlights video. Should be set to start right at the segment of last year's event. It was slow fishing last year so its one of the reasons we moved it back a month. Big tides on that weekend but hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer.

I'd like to try and get a few more goodies. If anyone has good contacts to collect some more goodies, it would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT** Video is not starting where it should. Last year's tournament starts at the 2:14 mark.

Charterboat Operator
    Anchorage AK.

right on, more buoys to dodge!!! wishing you calm waters and tight lines. will make it a point to do a slolom run thru you guys just for good measures

Default Kayak Angler get together June 28 - Whiskey Gulch

C'mon!!! You know you want too!!! Lol. Come join us!!

June 15, Whiskey Gulch.
    Maybe 20lbs avg.
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Video from the day. Should be titled "How NOT to net a halibut." I can laugh about it now...because both fish are IN the freezer!.

So no more nets I think except for small ones in my rubber mesh net. I still can't free the spreader bar and weight from the net a day later!

Haha, nice work!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Ok...second to final teaser!!!! C'mon down this Saturday, June 28.

I'll upload today's video link here after it compiles.

A 57 pounder on Friday
    A 34 and 43 pounder on Sunday!

Posted the video of the 57 pounder in the sea kayaking forum:

You have got to be driving the cattle boat captains crazy when their customers go home with fish half the size that the kayak-guy gets.

Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You have got to be driving the cattle boat captains crazy when their customers go home with fish half the size that the kayak-guy gets.

Great job.
    Lol. Thx.

Here's the video. Too tired to embellish it much had a few issues. Still working out the kinks. lol. Still a 15, 57, 34, & 43 pound halibut in two days isn't a bad haul. Spent $58 in gas driving down from Anchorage in my civic. No launch fees and no "on the water" fuel bill! Much easier on the wallet than some of the beautiful boats I secretly lust for...

Fairbanks, AK

Hey K84, if a guy were to get into this kind of fishing, how much would a setup run?etc boat, accessories, ......poon? Please finish my sentence--"come on guys/gals, you too can catch fish this way for about________ bucks"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fishin ak View Post
    Hey K84, if a guy were to get into this kind of fishing, how much would a setup run?etc boat, accessories, ......poon? Please finish my sentence--"come on guys/gals, you too can catch fish this way for about________ bucks"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I started with a $1,000 set up. $500 for a kayak and $500 for a drysuit. SO I would say you can do it for $1,000 on the super cheap. To recreate my set up it will cost $3,000.

I upgraded Kayaks to a Hobie Mirage Drive Outback. That's about $2,250 with shipping, turbo fins and sailing rudder upgrades. I highly recommend a drysuit but you can sort of get by with waders & belt.

So I would say for a paddle kayak, you can get one for $600 or so with the $1,000 to $1,200 ones being slightly better suited for this fishing. The Pedal kayaks are going to start at around $2,000.

Normal rods work. I use a $200 fishfinder. Harpoons and such will run $50 to $100. The most expensive piece of equipment on my kayak are my Boca Grips that were over $200 but much better than the chepaer knockoffs.

The other thing to consider is my sit on tops I use for Big Rivers (Kenai River- Upper , midle and lower), I use on lakes, I use in the ocean. So it has now replaced everything I own from my float tubes to my 21 ft center console with a 150Hp engine on it. So far the only fishing where I feel truly left out is lingcod fishing. I even shrimp out of my kayak!

Not super cheap but considering the HUGE monetary savings later on launch fees and on the water fuel bill I think it's ultra cheap! But the thingI love most about my kayaks is the HUGE flexibility it provides me. I can decide last minute to go halibut, king or silver fishing on the ocean without having to round up a partner, get my boat ready, and trailer a vehicle somewhere. Throw a piece of oversized tupperware on top of my 2 dr civic and I am catching the fish I catch. It seals the deal for me.

I have a pretty simple website you can look at for the gear. if you have any other questions, let me know!!!