Thread: Whittier Halibut

Default Whittier Halibut

How has the fishing been our of Whittier lately? I am planning on going in the next day or so. Gonna drop the pots and cruise around for halibut. I can't make the run to Montegue, any other suggestions? I'm planning on still fishing deep, 200+.

Well if ya wanna fish 300-330 I'd say the structure N. of perry island but east of egg rock will produce on an incoming tide. I got lucky there Thursday with 2 over 20 and one over 30. In about 2 hours. Not the greatest but for being close to Whittier I was happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Areas around the west side Lone Island are pretty good too. Just check out the NOAA charts and look for some humps surrounded by deeper water.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Watched a boat from shore fishing just off the jetty near where the fish effluent and herring are. Hooked into a big halibut, fought it for about 20-25 minutes, got it to the boat, attempted a harpoon and somehow managed to lose the fish. Poor guy stooped over the gunwale looking totally crestfallen and stunned....I felt for him.

I'm not kidding. It was a nice fish 2 minutes out of the harbor. Might be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Watched a boat from shore fishing just off the jetty near where the fish effluent and herring are. Hooked into a big halibut, fought it for about 20-25 minutes, got it to the boat, attempted a harpoon and somehow managed to lose the fish. Poor guy stooped over the gunwale looking totally crestfallen and stunned....I felt for him.

I'm not kidding. It was a nice fish 2 minutes out of the harbor. Might be worth a shot.
    I've caught some nice halibut and kings there in the past.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly