Thread: Back Yard Target Tip

Default Back Yard Target Tip

I learned one way to make cheap practice targets. For those new to Archery like myself. I went over to Cadres Feed & Seed in Soldotna and bought some burlap bags. The guys in the warehouse save the shrink wrap and plastic for bow hunters. Just fill the burlap bags tight. I put another burlap bag over the open end to keep the plastic from coming out. Then I spray painted a bullseye on the bag. Just use field points with this type of target.
    I use a "07" bowtech tomkat. I have it set up for 60 lb. pull. I did some fine tuning today on the sights. I am now getting tight groups at 30 yds.

Maybe someone could let me know what elements are required for the Alaska bow hunting certification test and if there is one coming up in the Soldotna Kenai area this summer?

AL7R

Here ya go...

Bowhunting certification course -

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...type=bowhunter
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the info on the cert course!

Default This was posted a while ago

Blue Moose Rafting is now offering the IBEP Bow Hunters Cert with a two week notice. We have a certified instructor on staff. For those individuals who require the cert prior to gaining access to some of Alaska's Bow hunt only areas please contact us at www.bluemooserafting.com

I also have tried the burlap bag target. I filled mine with plastic grocery bags (seemed like a million of them fit in there) but havent shot it yet. How has yours held up? Obviously no broadheads, but do they do well with a lot of field point shots?

I bought a target bag from sportsmans wharehouse for about 12 bucks and stuffed it with shrink wrap. It is basicly a fiberglass type of burlap bag . Ihave shot the snot out of it for over a year and is is still in excellent shape. Have a smaller feed bag that I stuffed with the grocery bags but I have not shot it a lot but it has stopped all of the arrows that I have shot into it.

I use a plastic/woven grain bag. It is not affected by water, weather, etc. I found out the hard way to take a couple of minutes and cut off all of the stickers. When an arrow goes through them, it heats the glue and takes more effort to pull the arrow. I also use the bag in the garage at 6' to 8'. I hang it from the ceiling so it it can move and absorb the arrows a bit better. After 8 years or so it is time to re-stuff the bag.

How long will that burlap last? can't shoot broadheads! I'd just go with the block, i go through one every other year but at least I get to shoot the broadheads, and see what its doing. The block is cheap and very mobile, I take it up the haul road with me so i can dial in, whether I'm using mechanicals or fixed ......K

Yeah these bags are strictly field points. Yeah I do have a black hole and a block 4x4 also, but why use the block when you can use the bag? I dont think my block is "cheap" so I'm gonna give it a whirl!

I use 3 pieces of 2" blue foam, 20"x20" tied together at the corners for my hunt trip target. It is light and cheap. Hang it from the top corners in the trees. It will swing a bit after a hit, but settles down quickly. I have never come close to a pass through (60lbs +/- & carbons). If you get a worn spot, take them apart, rotate them, and retie the corners. Works good. Maybe one day I will have enough money to buy some good targets.
    I think the stretchwrap filled bag is my favorite though. I can shoot for hours inside or out at no cost.

Default homemade targets

I've done, as Riverat, take some 2" x 2' - 2' R-tech insulation. Shrink wrap and tape together about 3-4 pieces, making a block. Very light and with stands everything I've shot at it(field points to broadheads). Another, is to take an empty milk jug, dry it out and fill with expanding foam. Paint your favorite small animal on it and away you go. Like to hear about other homemade targets.

Default backyard target

I have a friend who collected carpet scraps, then used allthread with metal bars across the top and bottom to compress the carpet scraps. He shoots everyday, lots and lots, and has been shooting his carpet target for 2 years now, and it shows no signs of wearing out. It is for field points only, and needs a roof, otherwise the carpet gets wet and freezes in the winter. It was some work to put together, but is 4 ft square, so it's a replacement for 6-800 dollars worth of block targets-