Thread: corkscrew swivels ?

Default corkscrew swivels ?

Last weekend I lost two terminal rigs that I had connected to corkscrew type swivels. The rigs were halibut bait rigs with 150 pound mono crimped after installation of the little plastic loop thing. I had bites and then nothing both times.

Anyone else had this happen? I know a lot of charters use them. I threw that particular one away, but I couldn't tell any difference between that one and the new one I tied on.

What do you use if not a corkscrew type?

I use corkscrew swivels a lot and have never had an issue.

Does your terminal rig crimped end have a barrel swivel like this? or is it just a naked mono loop attaching directly to your corkscrew? Also, I've heard of guys over-crimping their heavy mono and weakening the line... just another thing to check.

I've used corkscrew swivels for years and have never had a problem with them. My guess is the crimped loop on your bait rigs are coming apart.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

These rigs are ones that a friend gave me. I didn't rig them up - I guess it could be pulling loose. I tugged on one for all I had with my hand - the "bites" were not lunkers by any stretch.

I don't have an extra swivel in there like the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

I don't have an extra swivel in there like the picture.
    I always use the barrel swivel like in the picture. I'm trying to visualize if there would be a way for your swivel-less crimped loops to twist their way free from the corkscrew swivel, but I'm just not sure.

The corkscrews work fine with one item attached like a swivel. Stack a cod weight on there and it will be gone during a fight. I have had way too many tangles with them over time especially when another line gets into it. I save myself the headache and run the P-Line ball bearing cross lock type snaps. Saves on twisted gear and won't get caught up nearly as easy.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I should have mentioned that I did have a 24 ounce weight on the corkscrew also. Where do you buy the lock swivel at? I have some similar, but I like the looks of that particular model.

I just picked up a box from Cabellas. They are not the PLine type as Charlie mentions, they are Cabellas name brand. The look just like those. After talking with Charlie I've decided to switch from the corkscrew. I've not lost any gear but the tangles on the mainline are a headache.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I should have mentioned that I did have a 24 ounce weight on the corkscrew also. Where do you buy the lock swivel at? I have some similar, but I like the looks of that particular model.
    I usually pick up a few packs a year from B&J's.

If you had the weight on first and then the leader it is almost a guarantee that the leader will depart...the weight can push it up and off during rotation or lifting.

I keep my leaders pretty simple and have no issues with twist or tangles. I will try to post a pic after a bit.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

That is what I think happened. I am going to change before I go out this weekend. So much to do, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I usually pick up a few packs a year from B&J's.

If you had the weight on first and then the leader it is almost a guarantee that the leader will depart...the weight can push it up and off during rotation or lifting.

I keep my leaders pretty simple and have no issues with twist or tangles. I will try to post a pic after a bit.

I also use the locking swivel for bait rigs. I do use corkscrews on my jigging rod setups.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Never used the corkscrews. Last year I tried the Owner Snagless for jigging/bottom fishing, 90lb class snaps swivels. Love them, will never go back.

http://www.ownerhooks.com/accessories.htm
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Here are a couple of the leader types and hardware that I use with success...

1st is a 130# mono leader with 130# P-Line swivel and 180ish# cross lock bearing snap swivel. This one is rigged with a banana weight to fish a rigged inline bait. This system cuts down tremendously on the weight needed to stay down. Often times I can use 10-16oz. where others are using 2-3# to stay down.

2nd one is a standard heavy 300# mono leader with a slip area for the weight. This rig is also using a cross lock bearing snap swivel. The weight can break away when hung on bottom so you can at least salvage some of the gear. Normally I would only rig this on a rod that is fishing a big bait at anchor.

And a link to a vid for the bait rig...

Heavy Hitter Fishing

I use corkscrews for halibut and such, and never had a problem. When I worked on a troller in my teens (yeah, long long ago!), that's all we used. There are better solutions for some uses in trolling when you need a really free spin, but I always carry a series of leaders for experimenting, and those have a corkscrew at each end. No probs. My wife's favorite for ease of use, but not a cure-all for all uses.

I have never had issues with corkscrews either. I have them on all my rods.
    I then either attach a jig or a spreader bar with a home tied leader made from Gaignon twine.
    I have had several crimped mono leaders come apart and have since refused to use them on my boat. I don't think I will ever use them again.
    The leaders came uncrimped on several smaller under 20# fish right at the surface. The last one was an 80# fish that came uncrimped after we had her in the boat.
    I have not noticed any difference in catch rates in using the Gaignon twine vs the momo leaders. And I have never had a knot come out or a leader wear itself to where I felt like replacing it. Usually I just replace them because they get grungy and smelly from lots of use. And the hook and swivel are reusable. No crimps or crimping pliers required.
    I do recall years ago when I first started halibut fishing that placing a leader and weight on the same corkscrew would result in one or the other coming off while fighting a fish.
    So for me I still use corkscrew swivels but refuse to use the mono leader setups.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"