Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baiting success in unit 16A/ specifically around Trapper Creek?

Default Baiting success in unit 16A/ specifically around Trapper Creek?

I read this forum daily and would first like to thank all contributors here, who make this forum the great resource that it is.
    That said, I know that this is shaping up as a rather odd season for many...including myself. This year is my first attempt at bear baiting, even after raking the class many years ago. I see that I am far from alone in my quest for what has proven to be a very illusive quarry.
    I am specifically looking for feedback on bear (black and brown) activity within a 10 mile radius of Trapper Creek (both Petersville/ Oilwell road and the Parks Highway). I took over an existing stand that has been successful in previous years, going back to 2005. It is in what would seem to be a great location with water nearby. The bait station has been baited since April 28th, with lots of hard work from my three teenage grandsons...and we have yet to draw a single Bruin of either flavor. It has been checked at least twice a week and continuously freshened up with both new bait and LOTS of scent (burning honey, bacon grease, bear crack and allot of awesome Baitem 907 products). We have a 55 gallon drum with a 6" hole midway on the barrel, and stocked with a mixture of Ole Roy dog food, COB with molasses, outdated baked goods, honey, marshmallows and maple syrup. It was last checked yesterday (Sunday June 1st) with still no sign of activity (barrel undisturbed and nothing on camera). I'm simply looking for feedback on the status of any other bait stations within my stated 10 mile radius around Trapper Creek and very much appreciate any and all info provided. We will continue to remain optimistic and bait until the end of this month, but find it harder and harder to tell ourselves "next time". Thanks in advance and wishing all good luck in what seems to be a challenging bear baiting season.

You sound like you're off the road system and possibly using atv's. You didn't specify. With that being said, that means there's access to others as well. Your historically successful bait station might have competition. It seems like you're doing everything right. Keep at it is all you can do. If it's a bust this year, might be time to move locations if you bait next yr. Good luck...

We didn't have any action last year on a new site until June 23rd. This year, another new site, browns hit may 3rd or so , just a matter of time, keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put mine out on petersville road so I'm no help yet. It's a new site but I only go where no one wants to go. I did have a grizz track within 200 yards of it. Pretty fresh being as it was raining all weekend. Has it been clear or raining up there the last couple days.

I'm in 16A, probab ly not very far from you, and I've got bupkis. Keep in mind, that I'm not baiting (can't get the 1 mile distance from my own cabin), but I'm in an area that is usually rich with black bears. I'm right on the trail they usually use to cross our property from one creek to the next, and I'm overlooking the entire creek "valley." I've stumbled across old, very old (last fall perhaps) scat within 50 yards of my stand, but I've seen nothing fresh and nothing on the game cam overlooking the trail.

Remember that baiting in 16A ends June 15, but black bear can be taken all season in 16A, up to a max of three bears.

I am not off the road system (.4 miles in) and go in on foot. To clarify the last post about the 16A baiting season closure, all of unit 16 (A&B) is open to baiting through June 30th, not June 15th (just clarified w/ ADF&G Palmer). I'm on my way north to check my station this afternoon. Good luck to all.

nothing yet. Just another lone wolf and bear track between my bait and the road in a sand bar so still recent. and yes it is open for browns and black baiting until june 30th

Another strike out for us this past weekend..

Will be back up friday afternoon to hopefully reveal some better news.

no action for me either. Not even a bird. If I could tie a raven or magpie up by the foot it might help call them in for me

My son and I got some land out in the flats off Oilwell and we have been out on the trails two times trying to fine a way out to my land (no luck as of yet ) But i have seen some monster grizz tracks on the trail this last weekend there was some real nice tracks left over night we didnt see any thing other than tracks but had fun and plan on going back as often as we can. Met to guys on ATVs when we got back to my truck
    good guys to chat with and would like to see them out there next time. Good luck to you all cant wait to get back out there

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

AlaskaGrizz, did you take a blackie off your bait yet? A buddy that has a stand in that general vicinity took two in two nights last week! maybe picking up!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Alangaq, thanks for the feedback (and all who have responded)...we have had one blackie visiting us nightly for the past week. We've yet to lure him in when there, having tried burning caramel, honey and bacon grease. Hopefully, we can harvest him before the season closes in 11 days. Wishing all baiting, who have yet to harvest...the best of luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try a fox pro game call if u have one. Set it on wounded hare and slowly raise the volume, had a bear circle me for awhile one time and I turned the call on and he came right in looking hard. Good luck!

I am baiting around have had success

We really did not have good hits unti the 20th then everyday. My baiting partner got one also

Some stick and sting action goin on! Gotta love it!!

Great job fellas.

Default Season ends unsuccessful in 16A/ Trapper Creek

Well, baiting season 2014 ends with no success taking either Black or Brown! Our station was dismantled and packed out yesterday and we've had no bruin visitors of either flavor since 6/20. We had sporadic black visitors from the first of the month and only one small immature brown in early June on one day only. After trying every trick known, we could never get a bear in while in the trees and only have pictures to show for two months of hard work. We'll definitely bait again next year, but will find another location...to be sure! The best part of this year was spending allot of quality time with my grandsons and we all now look forward to next year!

Keep in touch withme I pass my spot onto you.

I had a small blackie from 6/12 until 6/29 when an onery griz boar chased him out of there. So I let the air out of him. Hey txbowhunter nice bear but you forgot to hide the rifle in your bow pic

Default blackie

Attachment 79391small blackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast