Thread: Shurflo

Default Shurflo

My wash down pump quit working so I went to WM and picked up a pump without doing my usual www research. My old one was a Pro-Blaster and the new one is aqua king.

Anyone tried their "non-saltwater" version in the salt?

I see on Shurflo's website http://www.shurflo.com/marine-produc...s/default.html that even just the standard Blaster is not saltwater rated.

WM in ANC did not have the Pro-Blaster (just the blaster). Would have thought that the saltwater version was more in demand than freshwater washdown pumps.

Wondering whether I should pull it out and take it back. Really want to use it this coming weekend though.

I learned a long time ago, Buy what you want and need the first time. It's too expensive to have lesser parts laying around after you had to upgrade to the real deal. I'd pull it and order from Amazon if you can't find anything local.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

ya - that is what I am thinking too. I am going to need it by Thursday though- that is the kicker. We are headed out to montegue Friday morning and I clean the fish on the boat - else the skeeters'll eat more than we do.

They don't have the pro model in stock. going to get the extended warranty for the one I have and go from there. Still wondering if anyone has used one in the salt and how long it lasted.

Curious if the Aqua King is salt rated? If it isn't, an extended warranty may not take you too far if it fails. I'm low tech, so my wash down pump looks like me, a 3 lb. plastic Folger's coffee container and a stiff bristled brush. Takes just a minute or two to muck things out and I've got more dance floor than many boats my size. It operates on a top ramen, fish and shrimp system. Hope you have a great, safe trip!

5 gal bucket and a rope always works.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have and have used a bucket, but the sprayer is very convenient for filleting a limit of chickens and rockfish on the tiny bow of my boat.

What did you end up doing? My shurflo pooped this winter as well. I took it all apart and banged on it and got it running but it won't start up under pressure.....unless I bang on it again. It seems to be just like a truck starter, brushes get stuck and need a little "encouragement" to start spinning. Sucks to be on a shiny two-year-old boat and then the guests get to watch me crawl into the back hold and start wacking something with a hammer.

I don't mind replacing it financially, but the idea of digging into the currently neat and tidy wiring to get it properly fuse blocked etc does not turn me on......not to mention just getting into the teeny tiny corner where all the junctions are.

Rope, check.....bucket, check.

I used the one that I bought. It is rated at 4GPM and I was not impressed. I would buy the Pro-Blaster next time (probably will have to).

For cleaning fish on the bow of my boat on my knees - using the hose was worth it last weekend - it makes it so much better. I do use a bucket for the occasional rinse if I have the hose put away - but for cleaning fish on my boat the hose is sure nice.

Try AK Perf and Marine on Arctic and Rasberry. Last year WM had the probalster on sale and didn't have any except for display...and they wouldn't sell it ot me. I tried AK Perf and they got it in a few days and was cheaper than the WM sale price!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have a Pro-Blaster (3-4 years old), and I'm not impressed in the least. My biggest issue is that if I run water continuously for more than 20 seconds or so, the unit heats up and shuts it's self off/throws the breaker. I thought I had an installation issue, but when I checked the FAQ/troubleshooting info, this is a known issue, and they recommended running the unit for 10-15 seconds at a time. In the end, it's more trouble than it's worth, and I just use the bucket.

I know this is a couple of days old but I would give donaldsons a try. Last time I was in there they had a couple different models for sale and a lot less than west marine was wanting. I have heard good things about whale marine and there washdown pump. I think when mine decides to quit I will be looking at one of theres.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    I know this is a couple of days old but I would give donaldsons a try. Last time I was in there they had a couple different models for sale and a lot less than west marine was wanting. I have heard good things about whale marine and there washdown pump. I think when mine decides to quit I will be looking at one of theres.
    Thats because they are now owned by LFS out of Bellingham, wait till those guys get ramped up and running they have everything you'll need and at better prices than most. Right now if you need anything i'd bet they can have it here from the bellingham store in no time. I worked for them years ago at their Naknek store, 1st class operation, just buy your shrimpin gear from me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692