Thread: FNM Diesel on the Copper

Default FNM Diesel on the Copper

Just wanted to make a few comments about the 22' Boulton I purchased from FNM marine in Wasilla. It sports the 250 H.P. FNM marine diesel which is nothing less than amazing IMO. I have logged 100's of hrs on the Copper R. in everything from a 14' Bombardie with 25 hp. prop to an extreme shallow and now this boat. For the Copper it seems to be the perfect boat/motor combo. While there are a few things I might would change about the boat I can't say that about the diesel. It's as light as a 350 Chevy, has tons of torque, and great on fuel. I don't keep a strict fuel log but running with a full load of 3 guys and camp for 10 days up the Copper at 3600 rpm's I'm averaging 26 mph and burning around 7 gph. It'll do around 34 mph easy going up river loaded at about 3900-4000 rpms but my fuel burn goes up to about 10-11 gph and my temps go up a bit so I just keep it at 2600.
    I understand they are putting this motor in the North River boats instead of the Boulton now and also re-powering other units. I know they are spendy but I think if you plan on keeping one boat for a long time you will probably pay for the price difference over time. The guys in Wasilla are great to work with as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    Just wanted to make a few comments about the 22' Boulton I purchased from FNM marine in Wasilla. It sports the 250 H.P. FNM marine diesel which is nothing less than amazing IMO. I have logged 100's of hrs on the Copper R. in everything from a 14' Bombardie with 25 hp. prop to an extreme shallow and now this boat. For the Copper it seems to be the perfect boat/motor combo. While there are a few things I might would change about the boat I can't say that about the diesel. It's as light as a 350 Chevy, has tons of torque, and great on fuel. I don't keep a strict fuel log but running with a full load of 3 guys and camp for 10 days up the Copper at 3600 rpm's I'm averaging 26 mph and burning around 7 gph. It'll do around 34 mph easy going up river loaded at about 3900-4000 rpms but my fuel burn goes up to about 10-11 gph and my temps go up a bit so I just keep it at 2600.
    I understand they are putting this motor in the North River boats instead of the Boulton now and also re-powering other units. I know they are spendy but I think if you plan on keeping one boat for a long time you will probably pay for the price difference over time. The guys in Wasilla are great to work with as well.
    Nice Pics Mtman, I think I'll be making a run down there Sunday to scoop some reds......I hear there's allot heading north. I think you ment you keep it at 3600. You can typically cruise the diesels at <90% of max rpm speed for extended periods without any worry.

Default Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Nice Pics Mtman, I think I'll be making a run down there Sunday to scoop some reds......I hear there's allot heading north. I think you ment you keep it at 3600. You can typically cruise the diesels at <90% of max rpm speed for extended periods without any worry.
    Yes, 3600 rpm. Typo.
    The fish are in for sure. I just came off the river from a bear hunt & we saw eagles with fish & many rollers in the river. Should be a very good year. The water is low which should help.
    Attached Images Attached Images