Thread: Kodiak brown bear....rifle?

Default Kodiak brown bear....rifle?

So I was lucky enough to draw DB291....the "hard" part!! I have a nice 7MM mag, however I am looking into a .338 Lapua and was wondering what you guys think? Is the 7MM good enough or should I consider the .338 Lapua or Maybe a different cal?

Every .338 Lapua I've been around would be a pain to haul around! I'm no expert, that was just the first thing that came to mind!

A bit more info on how you plan to hunt would help, guided, no guide, alone, with backup???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone that draws a Kodiak tag needs to buy a new rifle,, I did.

Congrats and good luck!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I plan on doing a fly in self guided hunt, I will have a buddy with a buck up gun for sure. Prob will be doing a lot of hiking and packing around as I look for a bear.

I second what limon32 said- all of the .338 Lapuas I've seen weigh something like 12-14 pounds before you stick a scope on it.

For that type hunting a nice .375H&H or .375 Ruger would be tough to beat.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the information everyone, I will start changing gears and looking into it.

IMHO neither choice is what I would take to Kodiak to hunt big bears. The 7mag while high in velocity comes up short on projectile weight, the 338 Lapua and the 7 mag as well are more long range type calibers and for me bear hunting is a close up affair. I would rather shoot my 375H&H all day over a 338, every 338 I ever shot beat me like I owed it money.
    Founding Member

The 7mm will work but would prefer 30-06 with 200gr. or bigger bullet of sound construction. The 300winmag and up is gravy. Remember bears are taken on Kodiak that are the same size as interior grizz or brownies anywhere else. The biggest question is do you plan to get in close for the shot 100yards or less or take what ever comes up?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    What he said......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ...every 338 I ever shot beat me like I owed it money.
    Sounds like a man in need of a 338-06!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Hilljack69 View Post
    I plan on doing a fly in self guided hunt, I will have a buddy with a buck up gun for sure. Prob will be doing a lot of hiking and packing around as I look for a bear.
    If I were you I'd reconsider my hunting strategy a little. Find a good place to glass from and set your camp on that spot or as close as possible. Hike around as little as possible. It's pretty easy to blow bears out of an area for days by hiking around. Set up your camp and glassing spot with consideration to the prevailing wind direction.
    As far as rifles, although big bears have been shot with much smaller rifles, I'd recommend anything from the 300WM and up, along with a good bullet such as a Barnes Triple Shock, etc..

I'd buy a 338 RUM and be done with it!...saw one not long ago on Alaska List!...Remington 700 SS for I think $700.00, I almost bought it!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I second this also. I own most of the guns discussed so far so I have a fair amount of incite in them. I can shoot my 458 Lott, 375 H&H, 338 Win without much recoil discomfort. Not so with my 338 Lapua and 338 Edge. I won't hunt with a gun that requires a muzzle brake because I don't want to scramble for ear protection if a quick shot comes up and I want my hunting partners next to me ready as a backup instead of cowering from muzzle blast behind me.
    A 375 H&H has plenty for bear with very manageable recoil. That's what I'd pick. (I've never shot a 375 Ruger)

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    If I were you I'd reconsider my hunting strategy a little. Find a good place to glass from and set your camp on that spot or as close as possible. Hike around as little as possible. It's pretty easy to blow bears out of an area for days by hiking around. Set up your camp and glassing spot with consideration to the prevailing wind direction.
    As far as rifles, although big bears have been shot with much smaller rifles, I'd recommend anything from the 300WM and up, along with a good bullet such as a Barnes Triple Shock, etc..
    Solid advice,,, hiking spreading scent around is about the best way to run off a mature bear. I have seen this more than once, guys fly-in before the season, see lots of nice bears. They are so eager to get started they spread scent and by the time the season opens all they see is Sows, Cubs and juveniles.

Find a high spot and glass until your eyes bleed. Walk with your eyes, good optics, warm clothes and a tarp to keep it all dry is the key to success.
    Founding Member

your 7mag will do fine with a 175 partition if you put it in the right spot. That's what it boils down to, I have a friend that shot one twice with a 300mag 200gr tsx and after 2000 yards of blood, no bear. he didn't put it in the right spot. but if you do have choices go with a 375. if you reload I would go for the 375 ruger, you can get a 270 tsx going over 2900 out of a 23 inch ruger barrel. if you don't reload get a 375 hnh. the factory offerings for the ruger consist of 3 hornady bullets that I despise. the hnh is offered with every imaginable bullet form and weight.

We'll I agree with Stid, take the opportunity to buy a big bore while you have a legitimate reason!

I love my .375 h&h when I'm in big bear country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be scared on Kodiak with either of my 2 7mm's. The two animals I'd take my (hated) .338 for are buffalo and Kodiak browns. I dislike the long range performance of the .338 but the bigger bullet would be nice on one of those bears-especially a big one. My 7mm's kill interior grizz easily.

So, I've never hunted Kodiak bears yet, but hope too some day. Basically the last major big game animal I want is a brown bear. At this time I've acquired most cal from 7mm, 30/06, 338wm, 375h&h, 416 ruger, & 458 Lott. If I had to take 1 gun - it would be my 375h&h, followed by my 416, then my 458 Lott, then 338 wm, 30/06, then 7mm.

But if I owned a 7mm and that was it, I'd get real good with it and dial in my 175grn bullet... Nothing wrong with that...
    Tony