Thread: Outboard fuel tank connections to older Mariner 8 hp

Default Outboard fuel tank connections to older Mariner 8 hp

I know very little about outboards, other than pull the starter cord, and need a little advice. I have a 1985 Mariner outboard that was given to me and need to make a connection to a fuel tank, I also have an older metal Yamaha tank that has two nipples for fuel line plug in. Are the fittings on the motor the same as on the tank or do the manufactures use brand specific fittings? The tank does not have a vent screw on top of the cap, is this normal? Who in Anchorage would you recommend for purchase of a fuel line with primer bulb and proper fittings?
    Thank you, Bob

Default Outboard fuel tank connections to older Mariner 8 hp

This should be what you are looking for... This is a 80s Merc.

Last edited by stid2677; 06-01-2014 at 14:51. Reason: photo added
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Mine has two protrusions on the motor and the Yamaha tank also has two, can they be converted to the single port connections?
    Thank you, Bob

If it has 2 it may be the new style and they should be available at most the boat stores. On those one side is for fuel flow and the other is the locking post.
    Founding Member

The mariner end has a larger fuel port than the evinrude. You should be able to get the end at any sporting goods store that has marine stuff. I got mine at the fred meyers in Soldotna. Cut the hose, a new clamp and push the end on. only takes a couple minutes to change it out.

Thank you for the replies Stid2677 and avidflyer. Is the lack of a vented tank fuel cap a concern or do they vent trough the fuel line somehow?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Watana Bob View Post
    Thank you for the replies Stid2677 and avidflyer. Is the lack of a vented tank fuel cap a concern or do they vent trough the fuel line somehow?
    Bob
    It will need a vent or it will form a vacuum and quit. Some old tanks were non vented and the way they worked air was pumped into the tank from the engine and that pressurized the tank and pushed fuel to the engine.

Fuel tanks should be common and fairly inexpensive, you might be able to just leave the fuel cap loose and use it that way.
    Founding Member

Walmart fishing/marine sections usually have all the pieces you need to construct your own fuel line. I had to build one for my 15hp Johnson kicker to fit the fuel tanks for my main Yamaha. Probably won't find any labeled for mariner but I'm reasonably sure the mercury fittings will work.

Thanks guys for all the info, took the motor out to cabin this past winter and I remember the two fuel port connection that the Mariner had on it and then just recently picked up the used Yamaha fuel tank and was hoping to put together a fuel line for it before I head out. Guess that I will make up one to fit the tank and take a few extra fittings incase I guess wrong on the motor end. Would run out and check but Watana Lake is a bit off the beaten path.

I have the same motor...you will need a Mercury fitting on the motor side.. http://www.globalindustrial.com/prod...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can't be of much assistance on the Yamaha side.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thank you AK2AZ for the parts link, that helps me out alot.
    Bob