Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting an old jon boat

Default Resurrecting an old jon boat

On my jogging route I had been noticing an old 14' jon that was on a trailer and sitting in the willow brush beside a guys house. I first seen this boat about 2 years ago and noticed it hadn't moved in quite some time but it was exactly what I wanted and needed to access one of my favorite spots. Every time I'd go buy it I'd think about knocking on the door and asking if it was for sale. I finally did it a few weeks ago and when I asked I was told the owner left it about 13 years ago and moved away so make an offer. I made the guy a 200$ offer and the speed in which he took it made me wish I had offered just 100 for it. The tires were flat and there was Moss growing in it from a false carpet covered plywood floor and carpet covered benches it was in rough shape but definitelya sound hull and that's all I needed. I couldn't get my truck to where it had been parked so I brought down my side x side and a small compressor hoping the tires would still hold air, and since it was only about a mile from my house figured if they wouldn't hold air I'd drag it home on the rims. I was pleasantly surprised when I put the compressor on them they actually inflated and held air. So I brought it home and the work began. I spent the first day tearing out the wood floor and carpets the sanding and wire wheeling paint and glue and 15 years worth or grime off both the inside and out before scrubbing it down with soap and water to clean off any oils and dust. I let that dry and the next day painted it, and so far I am very happy with how it turned out. I still need to give it a camo paint job and sand and paint the trailer and add new wench, bunks, jack and lights but I've got all that bought and just need some time to do it. I am hoping to get it all finished by the end of my week home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That looks like a really straight boat, only thing i can see wrong with it was the dirt and grit. Galvanized trailer to boot, what a deal!! Bud
    Wasilla

I have one just like it with an old Johnson 9.9. Great family boat for lakes and picnics.

Tony very nice I'm sure it will be a duck killing machine when your done with it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Never painted anything camo before so this is all trial and error. I finally settled on his after trying and repainting after I didn't like it.

It's looking good Tony! Going to be a duck killing machine in a couple months!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Finished up all the camo paint tonight and going to have the wife give me a hand getting it off the trailer. I could do it myself but don't want to scratch the new paint, just yet.
    Tomorrow it's sanding all the old paint off the trailer then new paint, replace the carpet and wooden bunks. Install new lights new wench and build new bow stop.

My first reaction is how in the world did you get all that work done in what? a few days??? My duck boat project started out in WAYYYY better condition than yours, but I've been working on it several hours a day, several days a week, for the last 3 or 4 weeks-and I'm no where near done....you wanna come help me with mine LOL!

My question though, is why did you go with green for a base color on your camo, given that by duck season, everything is brown/tan? Also, how did you make your stencils?

Lastly, how do you sleep at night getting such a deal for $200 lol.

Very nice job Tony. Great looking boat and great job!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    My first reaction is how in the world did you get all that work done in what? a few days??? My duck boat project started out in WAYYYY better condition than yours, but I've been working on it several hours a day, several days a week, for the last 3 or 4 weeks-and I'm no where near done....you wanna come help me with mine LOL!

My question though, is why did you go with green for a base color on your camo, given that by duck season, everything is brown/tan? Also, how did you make your stencils?

Lastly, how do you sleep at night getting such a deal for $200 lol.
    Forgot to add I also am a stay at home dad on my weeks off from work because my wife works as well so I was able to get this done with a 2 yr old and a 6mo old running around the garage and changing diapers.

Never done a camo paint job before so the color I picked was going to be green or tan and I settled on the green. Tan would probably have been a better choice but I don't hunt out of this boat, I just use it for transportation (for now) do I just picked something that looks good to me. The stencils I got from a plant that was growing at my wife's work I just grabbed some of it and sprayed over the top of it. Just make sure you have good access to whatever you use if you do this because they don't last long before they're soggy with paint. To make the light grass outline stuff I went to joann's fabric and got some fake plants and used those to spray over.
    I was able to get all the prep work done with power tools and air tools. And I sleep just fine at night because I think the guy would have taken 100$ for it.

Before and after.
    I hope to put it in the water tomorrow

Yours is going much faster than mine.

Are you thinking new tires and repacked wheel bearings?

Nice job Tony! I need to stumble upon something similar!!! Please keep us posted on your progress. Id love to see the finished product as well as the steps you too to get there.

Again, Nice job!

Very nice job,

Although you should probably ask your wife before adding any new "wenches" to the stable.

She looks great.

What a great job Tony, well done!

Scott

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Very nice job,

Although you should probably ask your wife before adding any new "wenches" to the stable.

She looks great.
    I was thinking the same thing. His wife must be way more understanding than mine!!

I did re grease the wheel bearings but those rusty wheels are an eye sore I need to sand and repaint them but for now I'm done with this project. I took it out and ran it today. I have an 8hp for it and wasn't sure how well it would do pushing it but I am pleased with the performance of it so far. I do want to add another person to it just to see how it does but I ran it to day with 3 dogs my 2 girls (although between them it's only about 45 lbs) and myself and it jumped right on step. I didn't bring my gps but I'd guess it was moving around 16-18mph.
    It was a good week and a fun project and I'm happy with the outcome but now I have to wait another 89 days till I can use it for its intended purpose. This boat will definitely find its place in my fleet of boats and I may eventually put a 20hp jet on it but for now it'll work like it is.
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and see you in the marsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Very nice job,

She looks great.
    I love auto correct. I really should proof read a little closer.... If you can keep the wenches between us that would be great.

Hey Tony, looks really great, good enough for me to off you $500 for the combo, thats a $300 profit, can't beat a deal like that, when do you want me to pick it up. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Hey Tony, looks really great, good enough for me to off you $500 for the combo, thats a $300 profit, can't beat a deal like that, when do you want me to pick it up. Bud
    Thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep it for a while. Besides I have about another 300 into it with paint new "winch, " jack, guide-ons, etc. And with the time into it I could have just bought a new one but this one has my elbow grease in it. Can't wait to use it this fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast