Thread: Chocolate Milk!

Default Chocolate Milk!

Kenai turned to chocolate milk this afternoon, reducing visibility to less than 6". A few fish caught this morning before the mud however, I heard of fish from Sunken Island to Fall-in Hole and all points between.

While it's just a bit early, I'm hoping that's the big June dump coming out of the Killey a few days ahead of schedule. It usually blows sometime in either the second or third week. Last year the Killey blew out overnight as June 9 became June 10. The lower Kenai was toast shortly after daylight on the first day of bait.

Hopefully she's all settled down by the time I get there on the 23rd, and yukon's honey hole will be prime for the Spey rod!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I was down at the river cleaning fish at about 730am and the river looked great; then i went to town and when I came back a half hour later it was ruined! I guess it's back to the ditch for the next couple days.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

The mountain rains sure did put out an effort at making the streams high and muddy on Monday. I fished Ship Creek on Tuesday morning and it was certainly less than desirable conditions. She was up over half a foot from the previous day. High, muddy and filled with debris. A few fish around but not many.

So what... was it rain or was it melt? Perhaps a bit of both?

If it was strictly rain, then the dig dump is yet to come.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

mmmmmm, chocolate milk!!!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Rain or Melt?

Doc,

My best guess is both rain and melt. We went from 20"+ to less than 6" visability in a couple of hours. At that time, it was clearly raining in the hills, and the wind was blowing, and it was high 50-low 60's. So, my hope is that it is the "big dump", however I am a bit skeptical due to the late breakup (really the normal time, but late compared to recent years).

I fished a charter trip yesterday and not only did I not even get a good bump, but I didn't see a single rod down all day! I didn't fish today, but the river still looks muddy...

Sonar says 519 on Tuesday and 605 on Wednesday! I am betting that most of those make it to the spawning beds.... The good news, is a few more days like this and we will likely see bait...