Thread: Thank you!

Wasilla, AK

Default Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I want to take a moment to thank all of you who have made so many helpful contributions to these forums over the years. I have lived in Western Washington my entire life, and for many years have had the privilege of traveling to Alaska with my wife (and children in recent years). We have spent a great deal of time fishing and exploring our way around the state and have made many wonderful memories. It has been our home away from home for a long time. My grandparents began their Alaskan adventures in the 1950's and their passion carried down through the generations. My wife and I have often jokingly talked about living and working here, yet our careers and family were in WA, so it had to remain just a fun daydream.

However, in late November a job came available in my field that would make the move possible. We devoted the following four months to going through every eventuality we could think of to decide whether or not this change was feasible and made sense for our family. Having been a member of the forum for several years (though not overly active) I knew where to go for some of the local, hands-on information about relocation, where to live, quality of life, etc. There are many pros and cons. I spent many hours and days poring through every thread in the "Relocating to Alaska" section and many others. There is such a depth of information and opinion on nearly any topic, I never felt the need to start a thread of my own on the subject.

Well, the decision was made and the planning began. On April 16, we pulled out of our home in Bellevue, WA with the drift boat in tow and headed North. The drive up was great. Our remaining vehicles and belongings headed up by barge. The new job began on May 1st and has been going very well. My wife and kids (ages 9 and 4) couldn't be happier. Next weekend we are moving into our new house and can finally unpack the shipping containers and get settled. It's all coming together....

So, the point of this post is to simply say thank you. This forum is home to a lot of great people (and some rascals..) whose experience, wisdom, and willingness to share has been very helpful. Thank you.

San Diego, CA

Congrats and good luck to you and your family in this next chapter!

Fairbanks Area

Wishing you and the family the very best, hope Alaska becomes HOME.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member