Thread: Kenai reds

Default Kenai reds

First of all thank you for any help.

My son and I are coming up on July 13th to ANC. We already have reserved a charter down in Homer on the 17th. I want to go Red fishing on the 14/15/16th Some day in there. It is low tide so we might try clamming.

Suggestions on tackle/pole for the Kenai. I know the clamming is low-I don't want to hurt residents clamming but it might be fun to go and get a couple or see how it's done. Would someone suggest a charter across the bay?

My son has aspergers-You wouldn't know it and he is FIRED up coming up there.

Also- any suggestion on might seeing some Brown bears aound the Russian river/Kenai.

Thanks again-take care;

Doug

Also- is there places you can take your fish to process around the Kenai area- Just wondering if I need to bring a filet knife to do it myself(I'd rather pay someone to do it) Thanks

They got a Lamiglass kenai special that should catch you any reds no problem. russian river has plenty of fish processors all around. me i fillet there so i dont have to carry extra weight of fish back to car. when down in Homer you can try for kings swimming in Dudiak lagoon. its like a kiddie pool but fish fight great anyways. you can watch sealions chase kings too.lol have fun
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    First of all thank you for any help.

My son and I are coming up on July 13th to ANC. We already have reserved a charter down in Homer on the 17th. I want to go Red fishing on the 14/15/16th Some day in there. It is low tide so we might try clamming.

Suggestions on tackle/pole for the Kenai. I know the clamming is low-I don't want to hurt residents clamming but it might be fun to go and get a couple or see how it's done. Would someone suggest a charter across the bay?

My son has aspergers-You wouldn't know it and he is FIRED up coming up there.

Also- any suggestion on might seeing some Brown bears aound the Russian river/Kenai.

Thanks again-take care;

Doug

Also- is there places you can take your fish to process around the Kenai area- Just wondering if I need to bring a filet knife to do it myself(I'd rather pay someone to do it) Thanks
    For a great across the Cook Inlet clamming experience I suggest you call Greg Markson at POLEBENDERS Guide service. 907-522-7757 or cell 907-632-2401. You will be provided with every thing needed, be on a safe and very seaworthy 28' custom boat with twin motors (for extra safety ) and will get your wonderful clams.
    As far as fish processors you have a choice in Soldotna, one is about 1 mile west of the sterling hwy. the other is on K-Beach road maybe 2 miles after turning off the Sterling (1st right after crossing the kenai river bridge.

Your timing for all these activities should be great. Bring your camera.

Spend a little time walkin up and down the Russian and you should have a fair chance at bear viewing.

If you don't want to buy gear to fish reds for one day, the boat rental outfit in sterling rents fishing rods. The 15th is usually right around the start of the big waves of reds, if plan on fishing in Soldotna but be flexible and go where the fish are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk