Thread: hot water

Default hot water

I'm interested in gettin a hot water on demand tankless thing. Anyone have any recommendations? Propane fired & no electricity is what I'm after. And, oh yeah, inexpensive. Is that possible? The Rinnai systems that I see at the shops are to spendy for us at time. I've seen some cheapos that say like 2 gpm- I'm not even sure what that means. I know what it MEANS, but the reality in action is the part I'm inexperienced at.

I have one in my camper and love it. It uses a pilot light and burn gas 24/7. I would measure the water flow when you take a shower to see if 2gpm is enough water for you if not you may need to look for a bigger one.

Now this is going to sound odd you will need to know how cold your water is, if it very cold you are going to need two on demand tankless heater's in series to get the water hot enough.

You did say no electric, I assume your talking about the tankless heater because you will need a water pump.

Have you tried a tub and two bucket of water.

Bosch makes a nice one, which I can recommend. I meets all your requirements except "inexpensive".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

For the less expensive model contact Wilber Pryor 2450 Tongrass Ave. Box 115 Ketchikan Ak 99901 wilberpryor@hotmail.com
    I know a guy that has had one and had good luck with it.

Can recommend the capacities and capability of the Bosch system. Probably doesn't qualify as "inexpensive" but they were cheaper than Rinnai or a couple other brands.

...and to tag along with others, you'll need a small electric pump and a batter to power it.

You know how the saying goes, water heater $XX, small electric pump $XX, new penetration through the roof $X, happy wife & DIL, priceless.

thanks you all! We have our well in w/ a jet pump, our pressure tank is tiny- so we've got a new one to put in. I wasn't planning these upgrades right now- but my husband offered up a shower, so good on him! So, the shower stall has been ordered. =) We have 'neighbors' at our cabin site who have showers & heat water & use a solar shower type bag to dispense water. That would probably work- but a little tankless system would be sweet.

I don't have $1000-$2000 to drop on a Rinnai- but I don't wanna buy a $200 set-up if it's a waste of $$. And I dn't mind using the solar shower method for awhile- but it's nice to hook everything up when we're working on a project (ha- like that happens at the cabin. Lotsa change orders!). =)

There was an older paloma tankless hot water heater on Alaskaslist for $50. Add states in working order. Think it was under materials or heating...

I've been using the Eccotemp L5 (about $150) at my cabin for several weeks, along with a cheap 12V pump, battery, and small solar panel to keep the battery charged. Also have used the EZTankless 110 which works about the same as the L5. Both seem to put out plenty of hot water for a nice shower. If you have really cold water, you can just recirculate it back into the tank (presuming you have some sort of tank) and "pre-heat" it a bit to raise the baseline temperature before using for a shower. Both of these are "outdoor" type showers, and the biggest caveat I have is that the flame will blow out at times with any wind. I've actually now put mine inside the shower enclosure (actually just some 2x4 and old plywood with a blue tarp cover, fairly drafty) which has eliminated the wind issue. Both of these heaters use no electricity other than a couple of D cell batteries to run the sparker. No pilot light on either, so no wasted propane.

Greg

I've had a new Paloma sitting in the shed for better than 12 years. Heck, Paloma on-demand water heaters aren't even made any more. Anyway, I never installed it. Water systems in cabins that will freeze regularly need to be simple or the owner becomes a regular plumber. Wifey has always been happy to heat water in a big pot. I have an inexpensive transfer pump mounted on the wall next to the sink with a hose that's routed to a small fish tote that's overhead of the shower stall. I drilled through the bottom of the tote, put a threaded flange on the tote and sealed it up, and then attached a pivot arm and a shower head with a ball valve in easy reach right at the shower head. We've been taking showers with that setup for 15 years and have no desire to do anything more sophisticated. But one never knows what the future holds, so no, the Paloma is not for sale. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I've had a new Paloma sitting in the shed for better than 12 years. Heck, Paloma on-demand water heaters aren't even made any more. Anyway, I never installed it. Water systems in cabins that will freeze regularly need to be simple or the owner becomes a regular plumber. Wifey has always been happy to heat water in a big pot. I have an inexpensive transfer pump mounted on the wall next to the sink with a hose that's routed to a small fish tote that's overhead of the shower stall. I drilled through the bottom of the tote, put a threaded flange on the tote and sealed it up, and then attached a pivot arm and a shower head with a ball valve in easy reach right at the shower head. We've been taking showers with that setup for 15 years and have no desire to do anything more sophisticated. But one never knows what the future holds, so no, the Paloma is not for sale. :-)

Can I borrow it?

Keeping it simple is pretty awesome. I just bought a couple of solar showers & planned on using them if needed- but when a shower was offered up... I'm fine with that too! Even just having a shower STALL would be great. We have neighbors (limits our privacy) that have visiting children (- that we can't get to understand that we like days with NO visitors (preferably several days in a row- that's another rant tho!). I have a little 'outside' style camp shower- but it's more hassle than it's worth.

Someone locally has an Aquastar, but I don't know them & I'm hesitant about buying a used set up that I haven't seen work. Not sure if all parts are accounted for, needs a part & they are non negotiable. I offered to pay full price after I install & make sure it works but no go.

Stayed at a cabin with a Paloma & gotta say... a warm shower when I turned on the faucet was pretty sweet. When my husband tells his buddies what he's doing- they look at me like I'm all high maintenance, but it wasn't my idea! I WILL be happy to use that hot water though. And besides, I don't care much what anyone thinking about it. =)

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    Keeping it simple is pretty awesome. I just bought a couple of solar showers & planned on using them if needed- but when a shower was offered up... I'm fine with that too! Even just having a shower STALL would be great. We have neighbors (limits our privacy) that have visiting children (- that we can't get to understand that we like days with NO visitors (preferably several days in a row- that's another rant tho!). I have a little 'outside' style camp shower- but it's more hassle than it's worth.

Someone locally has an Aquastar, but I don't know them & I'm hesitant about buying a used set up that I haven't seen work. Not sure if all parts are accounted for, needs a part & they are non negotiable. I offered to pay full price after I install & make sure it works but no go.

Stayed at a cabin with a Paloma & gotta say... a warm shower when I turned on the faucet was pretty sweet. When my husband tells his buddies what he's doing- they look at me like I'm all high maintenance, but it wasn't my idea! I WILL be happy to use that hot water though. And besides, I don't care much what anyone thinking about it. =)
    If you leave your cabin to "freeze up" when you are not there make sure that the HW heater you get can be fully drained.

yes- drain stuff (and buy stuff that CAN be drained)- check! Hope we did a good job last fall!!! We'll find out in a week- when we head up to the cabin. Seems like the guys use compressed air & blow the water outta the lines also.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    When my husband tells his buddies what he's doing- they look at me like I'm all high maintenance, but it wasn't my idea! I WILL be happy to use that hot water though. And besides, I don't care much what anyone thinking about it. =)
    If they started doing nice thing for there wife maybe there wife would start doing nice thing to them. Just saying.

exactly! we try to do kind things whenever possible- works out sweet for everyone involved!