Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Redhawk grip ideas

  1. #1
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Redhawk grip ideas

    My 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt is a great shooter, but the recoil can be brutal (heavy Ruger only handloads). The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds. I put on Pachmyer Presentations, which are better, but are narrow, and are still uncomfortable. I'm looking at either some Nills Griffe smooth wood, or Herrett Jordan Troopers. Any personal experience with these two, or ideas for other grips?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I have the same problem with the 500S&W. Seems like big hands always have this problem. Double stacks are about the only thing comfortable.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    My 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt is a great shooter, but the recoil can be brutal (heavy Ruger only handloads). The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds. I put on Pachmyer Presentations, which are better, but are narrow, and are still uncomfortable. I'm looking at either some Nills Griffe smooth wood, or Herrett Jordan Troopers. Any personal experience with these two, or ideas for other grips?
    I don't have big mitts, and I don't think hand size is necessarily the primary factor. Sticky rubber grips plus heavy recoil causes blisters and tear my hands up, regardless of make/model/frame style. I think you're on the right track with a smooth wood grip.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Hoque makes some very nice grips for the Redhawk.
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...Path=27_66_433
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    245

    Default

    I'm with Amigo Will on this one. I ordered a set of Hogue's and love them.
    Attachment 78908
    Sorry for the lousy picture. What i wanted (looks wise) had to be ordered through Hogue, but Amazon has some with Prime shipping that are nice. And that shipping up here, depending on the company can be a deal breaker... (MidwayUSA - shipping normally shows up more than my purchase unless i'm spending over $75....)

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds.
    Hmmmmm.....that's interesting. The Hogue grips seem to do well with the 325 Buffalo Bores in mine. You loading hotter than that?


    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I don't have big mitts, and I don't think hand size is necessarily the primary factor.
    I'd have to agree with that.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I'm with Amigo Will on this one. I ordered a set of Hogue's and love them.
    Attachment 78908
    Sorry for the lousy picture. What i wanted (looks wise) had to be ordered through Hogue, but Amazon has some with Prime shipping that are nice. And that shipping up here, depending on the company can be a deal breaker... (MidwayUSA - shipping normally shows up more than my purchase unless i'm spending over $75....)
    Can't view the pic.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  8. #8
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmmm.....that's interesting. The Hogue grips seem to do well with the 325 Buffalo Bores in mine. You loading hotter than that?




    I'd have to agree with that.....
    I never shot the BB, so can't compare. I'm shooting 335 at about 1275fps.

    Had a nice bruise in the shape of a backstrap in the palm of my hand. With the Pachmyer, it's better, but after 30-40 rounds, I'm ready to stop for the day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I never shot the BB, so can't compare. I'm shooting 335 at about 1275fps.
    The BB are 325s, and they claim at 1325.....don't know what barrel length they use tho....

    All I know is they scare me a little.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The BB are 325s, and they claim at 1325.....don't know what barrel length they use tho....

    All I know is they scare me a little.......lol
    I'm guessing my pressures are similar, with 4" barrel and all. I actually backed them down to 1275. I was over 1300 with slight pressure signs, but less accuracy.

    My new load I'm developing is my own cast from a Lee 300rf mold, that with gas checks weighs in at 325. I'm having leading problems, so I need to do a lot more shooting with test loads to iron that out. Testing yesterday and my sore palm lead to me posting this thread.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  11. #11
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    I haven't shot the hot BBs enough to hurt myself. But if I did I would imagine that I would too. They cost too da*n much and I haven't got set up to reload for the 45 yet. I'm just now getting set up again for my rifles....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Not sure what the deal is w/ the pic, but i'll try it this way too:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •