Thread: Redhawk grip ideas

Default Redhawk grip ideas

My 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt is a great shooter, but the recoil can be brutal (heavy Ruger only handloads). The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds. I put on Pachmyer Presentations, which are better, but are narrow, and are still uncomfortable. I'm looking at either some Nills Griffe smooth wood, or Herrett Jordan Troopers. Any personal experience with these two, or ideas for other grips?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have the same problem with the 500S&W. Seems like big hands always have this problem. Double stacks are about the only thing comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    My 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt is a great shooter, but the recoil can be brutal (heavy Ruger only handloads). The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds. I put on Pachmyer Presentations, which are better, but are narrow, and are still uncomfortable. I'm looking at either some Nills Griffe smooth wood, or Herrett Jordan Troopers. Any personal experience with these two, or ideas for other grips?
    I don't have big mitts, and I don't think hand size is necessarily the primary factor. Sticky rubber grips plus heavy recoil causes blisters and tear my hands up, regardless of make/model/frame style. I think you're on the right track with a smooth wood grip.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hoque makes some very nice grips for the Redhawk.
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...Path=27_66_433
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm with Amigo Will on this one. I ordered a set of Hogue's and love them.
    Attachment 78908
    Sorry for the lousy picture. What i wanted (looks wise) had to be ordered through Hogue, but Amazon has some with Prime shipping that are nice. And that shipping up here, depending on the company can be a deal breaker... (MidwayUSA - shipping normally shows up more than my purchase unless i'm spending over $75....)

The OEM Hogue grips came off after the first cylinder of heavy rounds.
    Hmmmmm.....that's interesting. The Hogue grips seem to do well with the 325 Buffalo Bores in mine. You loading hotter than that?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I don't have big mitts, and I don't think hand size is necessarily the primary factor.
    I'd have to agree with that.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I'm with Amigo Will on this one. I ordered a set of Hogue's and love them.
    Attachment 78908
    Sorry for the lousy picture. What i wanted (looks wise) had to be ordered through Hogue, but Amazon has some with Prime shipping that are nice. And that shipping up here, depending on the company can be a deal breaker... (MidwayUSA - shipping normally shows up more than my purchase unless i'm spending over $75....)
    Can't view the pic.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmmm.....that's interesting. The Hogue grips seem to do well with the 325 Buffalo Bores in mine. You loading hotter than that?

I'd have to agree with that.....
    I never shot the BB, so can't compare. I'm shooting 335 at about 1275fps.

Had a nice bruise in the shape of a backstrap in the palm of my hand. With the Pachmyer, it's better, but after 30-40 rounds, I'm ready to stop for the day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I never shot the BB, so can't compare. I'm shooting 335 at about 1275fps.
    The BB are 325s, and they claim at 1325.....don't know what barrel length they use tho....

All I know is they scare me a little.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The BB are 325s, and they claim at 1325.....don't know what barrel length they use tho....

All I know is they scare me a little.......lol
    I'm guessing my pressures are similar, with 4" barrel and all. I actually backed them down to 1275. I was over 1300 with slight pressure signs, but less accuracy.

My new load I'm developing is my own cast from a Lee 300rf mold, that with gas checks weighs in at 325. I'm having leading problems, so I need to do a lot more shooting with test loads to iron that out. Testing yesterday and my sore palm lead to me posting this thread.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I haven't shot the hot BBs enough to hurt myself. But if I did I would imagine that I would too. They cost too da*n much and I haven't got set up to reload for the 45 yet. I'm just now getting set up again for my rifles....

Not sure what the deal is w/ the pic, but i'll try it this way too: