Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorit for kings in the salt besides herring??

Default What is your favorit for kings in the salt besides herring??

What do you use for feeder kings besides herring? Do you ever use J Plugs or spoons? What colors?

Apex Spoons from Hot Shot, with hoochies and a herring strip coming in third.

Run out of herring before and switched to Apex, and didn't notice any difference in catch. But I always start with herring.

Brads. It is all I use.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

To my surpsrise a K16 works pretty well too.

Gotta add one point-

There's "herring" and then there's herring.

I've come to prefer cutplug to whole, with the catching results to go with the ease of rigging.

But guess what-

Troll herring can run short each season, some years earlier than others, but at some point you're going to find the freezers bare when you need it most.

Meanwhile there's no trouble getting the big herring. It's everywhere, but waaay too soft and usually too big to use for trolling. Right? Wrong!

I've been experimenting with an old form of trolling, made easier and better with some additional gear. I'm talking trolling with herring strips. Cure or salt fillets from those big old herring to toughen them, then cut into strips. The additional gear is the rotary style nose clip, the kind with the built in planer or whatever to make them spin. Dang! Been quietly using them this spring, and I may never buy another tray of troll herring. Here is a short writeup on preparing and using them. I'm sold that it's at least as effective as tray herring, whether whole-rigged or cutplug.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The additional gear is the rotary style nose clip, the kind with the built in planer or whatever to make them spin. Dang! Been quietly using them this spring, and I may never buy another tray of troll herring. Here is a short writeup on preparing and using them. I'm sold that it's at least as effective as tray herring, whether whole-rigged or cutplug.
    Awesome! Can we get those nose clips in town? Just what the doctor ordered I just got a big batch of the big guys from a friend. Will have to brine them up and cut some strips!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Brownbear your PM's box is full
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    Brownbear your PM's box is full
    All clear now. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    Awesome! Can we get those nose clips in town? Just what the doctor ordered I just got a big batch of the big guys from a friend. Will have to brine them up and cut some strips!!
    Macks has an array on pegs over their bait freezer. None with the eyes. I tried adding my own, but didn't see any difference, so I quit.

Macks has an array on pegs over their bait freezer. None with the eyes. I tried adding my own, but didn't see any difference, so I quit.
    roger that, thanks!

You should be able to buy those nose clips (aka bait biters) at your local fishing store. I run cut plugs sometimes, but nowadays I prefer to use a whole herring in a bait biter when sport fishing. It's nice not having to check your bait so often, and a whole herring lasts longer than even the heaviest salted cut plug. A lot of the time though I will use several different hootchies which have been productive in the past.

I go completely artificial and lean towards plugs but a hooch gets it done too.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

The old saying is "nothing outfishes a flasher" when it comes to trolling. An 11" flasher is a power king attracting tool, based on the motion it puts out in the water that simulates feeding salmon. So, tow a herring, spoon, or hoochie behind one, and you are stacking the deck in your favor. Other baits/methods have their moments, but the old 11" hot spot or okie is one hell of a producer.

You got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I go completely artificial and lean towards plugs but a hooch gets it done too.
    I personally dislike running herring, and as such have tried lots of different hoochies and spoons and absolutely adore coho killers when the needlefish are thick. But, what plugs are you running, I always like to mix it up but haven't gotten into plugs as of yet. My go to is white on white, flasher and hoochie, trolled at 2-3knots depending on conditions. Have equally good luck on green and blue hoochies.

Homerdave's son ties some surprisingly effective saltwater flies. Last time I fished the winter derby I pulled a decent king from one of his flies trolled behind a flasher. He sells them in the Ashore Water Taxi office out on the spit. I was skeptical about pulling a fly for feeders, but it's hard to argue with results.

Apex Spoons from Hot Shot
    If you had to pick one size & just a few colors/patterns of these, what would you put in your tacklebox? Inquiring minds want to know ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    If you had to pick one size & just a few colors/patterns of these, what would you put in your tacklebox? Inquiring minds want to know ...
    Actually two in two sizes for specific times and conditions. Gotta be the #83 Black/Pearl for overcast days, #84 Dark Blue/Pearl for sunny. Then it's A7 (6 1/4") for early season, A5 (4 1/2") for mid-season and late.

The additional gear is the rotary style nose clip, the kind with the built in planer or whatever to make them spin. .
    What brand do you like so I can try to find them up here...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Pro Troll and Hot Spot are the easiest and most effective among those I've tried. I've stuck with the clear models, but you can get both in lots of colors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast