Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: half size shipping container "house" for sale, self contained

Default half size shipping container "house" for sale, self contained

Saw a new remote living "cabin" for sale now for 60 grand. Self contained 160 sq foot the size of a 20 foot shipping container.
    http://www.gizmag.com/zulu-queen-rhino-cubed/32326/

I'm not seeing any good pictures of the outside of it, but in true realtor fashion they feature tons of pictures of the inside of it using the standard realtor fish-eye lens:

I predict in a few years we might find a few of these strewn throughout the backcountry abandoned by their owners after they starved or killed their darn selves somehow, after they've air dropped onto their remote land one of these puppies along with a month or two supply of fuel and of course the obligatory bag of rice (just in case).

Doesn't seem real sustainable using denatured alcohol for heat and cooking, but putting a woodburner in there just doesn't seem feasible from many points of view.

I have seen some tricked out container homes in mags and online. One guy puts 3 of them side by side and puts a pitched roof over them with walls/doors and has it so the original shipping container doors can be closed for security. I think this one is for the niche 'preppie-prepper' (ones with more money than need).

I sure wouldn't mind getting a conex onto my property but it wouldn't have hickory floors if I could!

I have a few new ones with doors on both ends. They are expensive, but allow light in from both ends. I have hauled some into the Safari Lake area for temporary living. But mostly for secure tool, fuel, generator, etc. storage. They sure beat the snot out of a tent.

I don't think people that strew stuff across their property can afford a $60k pre-fab home.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

FUNNY.........How some people feel they have the right to tell other's what they can do with their property. MY property and I will "strew stuff" as I dam well please.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't think people that strew stuff across their property can afford a $60k pre-fab home.

I think Paul was referring to the 3rd paragraph in the original post.

I have looked at these for a couple of years now. $2000 for the container, $2000 for sprayed in insulation, $3000 to mod for roof and door for back country, $2500 to finish out. The best part was the quote to fly it in. 3 dollars a pound. We have discussed the issues with these before, but $60k is to much.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I think Paul was referring to the 3rd paragraph in the original post.
    Yeah that was me thinkin' that some of these will be left behind to rot after the owner finds less than imagined. There are a lot more people with 60 grand to lay down on a try, than there are that finish what they start. Heck in the brochure that lady in the kitchen is surrounded by tons of empty floor space, right? Pictures don't ever lie do they?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    FUNNY.........How some people feel they have the right to tell other's what they can do with their property. MY property and I will "strew stuff" as I dam well please.
    I don't see how I was telling anyone how to live their life???

I was simply commenting on the original post. I've seen plenty of properties where people leave all sorts of things discarded across their property. I just don't see those people as being people likely to plunk down $60k for a pre-fabbed home.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Me SORRY, Me Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't see how I was telling anyone how to live their life???

I was simply commenting on the original post. I've seen plenty of properties where people leave all sorts of things discarded across their property. I just don't see those people as being people likely to plunk down $60k for a pre-fabbed home.

rather than start a new thread...how would one of these work as a shop? I'm thinking of a 40' and framing half of it off, use the one half as straight storage for gear & toys, the other half as a wood shop / man cave, throw a stove in there and just heat it as I need it. Thoughts? I know from using these at work that condensation can be a big issue with these, but if I'm going to keep it unheated anyway surely some sort of passive or active ventilation would keep that to a minimum?

I always thought a good way to build a shop with conexes would be to run two of them as outside walls spaced ~16' apart on the inside with trusses going across the works, so essentially a 32' wide 40' long shop.

How tall are those containers? Edit: 8'6" Thanks for the idea Paul.

That is a great design!

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Would love to have a couple those those on my property. Would need to pay the railroad to haul them past the narrow bridges. What is the weight of a 20 footer?

20 foot weights about 4,189#

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    20 foot weights about 4,189#
    I was going to say about 5,000. Seems like that was the tare weight on the last ones I've dealt with.

wish I had the room for a shop like that! don't think the lady would be too hot for it...

My Wife was against putting one of those containers on our plot of land. When I showed her Paul's photo she started to come around. Need to make the center about 3 feet higher so we can squeeze our trailer inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast