Thread: neighborhood bear

Default neighborhood bear

So guys, just asking for some legal opinions. What kind of guidelines for shooting a bear in the neighborhood? (hypothetically speaking of course) Just say a bear got into someones garbage, but the garbage is no longer present. If said bear still comes around would he then be legal?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Prob best to present that question to F&G - I would be hesitant to render a recommendation.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

When the bear is actively engaged in being a threat to life or property at the time of the shot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There could be a fine involved, if the bear is shot after being attracted to garbage, an easy meal for the bear. Just like a bait station, some bears will return to a place where there's easy pickins. Best to not leave garbage or other food sources out for bears to get into, especially if it's a populated area.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    When the bear is actively engaged in being a threat to life or property at the time of the shot.
    I think he's talking about a legal harvest under the hunting regulations as opposed to a DLP situation, though I could be wrong. It's a non-issue in my neighborhood since there is no legal season, but that is likely different where he lives.

Just some anecdotal storytelling, but a few years back a small black bear showed up in the neighborhood and started trying to get into a neighbor's garage.It would not be dissuaded from returning and there was no trash or other apparent attractant stored there. The neighbor called the troopers who suggested he just shoot it and legally tag it.

He did.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sounds like Sollybug should be asking the F&G or Troopers down in Soldotna ( or wherever it is ) for his answer...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Common sense needs to used on this issue, I know for a fact there is absolutely NO hunting of bears in residential areas, meaning in or around town, even if they are considered problem bears. Best to check with your "neighborhood" F&G down there in Soldotna.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

"Neighborhoods" aren't always in town.

Well, bummer neighbor clarified that it was a smaller brownie not a blackie as I hoped. I am out of town so shooting is legal ( I was thinking my bow) but I was worried about his initial attraction to the garbage being seen as illegal baiting. It's not my garbage and it's gone anyway. I know you can shoot them on your property if there is no garbage involved...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Sollybug: it sucks that it is a small brownie, as some fresh meat in the freezer would have been nice. We do not live in town, it is legal to shoot here and if a bear came around (providing that the season was open) I would be processing some fresh meat along with my harvest report. Maybe next time!

As long as there is no intent to bait, shooting a bear that shows up on your property is fine. Think of the can of worms that could be opened if it were determined that you had stuff attractive to bears and therefore could not shoot one. Cooking odors, chickens, vinyl four wheeler seats... where would the insanity stop?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    As long as there is no intent to bait, shooting a bear that shows up on your property is fine. Think of the can of worms that could be opened if it were determined that you had stuff attractive to bears and therefore could not shoot one. Cooking odors, chickens, vinyl four wheeler seats... where would the insanity stop?
    In answer to the last 5 words of your post - it would depend on the number of lawyers involved.

I have regular opportunities to get a black bear with my bow (inside Seward city limits) in our yard. My main concern is the injured bear running into a neighbors yard and hurting a child playing or someone tending their garden before it bleeds out/expires. If I was responsible for someone getting hurt it would be un-bearable.

If it's safe, legal, early enough to taste good SHOOT AWAY!!!!