• did not complete the mount as requested

0 0%
  • lost my animal

0 0%
  • ruined my trophy and did not compensate me

1 8.33%
  • did poor work on my mount

2 16.67%
  • 'swapped' my trophy (does this REALLY happen?)

0 0%
  • won't return my phone calls or attempts to contact them

5 41.67%
  • other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: top complaint about your taxidermist

Default top complaint about your taxidermist

Many of the threads regarding poor dealings with taxidermists have to do with the taxidermists' lack of business ethics/procedures...It makes me wonder what the most common complaint really is...So I thought a poll.. if you have been disgruntled by a taxidermist, please tell us the 'offense' that bothered you most by voting in the poll...

please no business names - or personal names or info.

thanks!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

None for me. I've always had excellent service and quality mounts from the two taxidermists I've used.

I too have to vote never a problem from two different taxidermists. I felt like I checked them both out sufficiently; both had 100% very happy customers and then there's just that spark of life that a great taxidermist can encompass with the detailed work. I'm not sure if its proper etiquette or not but I go nose to nose about 3 inches away - either it resembles an animal, or it is an animal. That's my unschooled technique so far.

I am glad you both responded such because there ARE very good and excellent taxidermists. I would say the few 'bad apples' are the ones that cause a majority of the sometimes unfair opinions of taxidermists as a whole.

Also - doing the homework - checking references, visiting the shop before you drop off or calling and talking in length to the taxidermist are very important...not unlike hiring or contracting the services of other professionals.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

A few years back my son caught a salmon shark and I took it to a very well known taxi shop in Anchorage to have the tail mounted. After many calls and 18 months they said it was ready. Went to pick it up and after all that time I got back what appears to be a Mako tail. They had no idea what happened to the salmon shark tail. Even though this was a highly respected shop I will never set foot in it again.

OTHER: He loaded "ALL" the hides for mounting, all of the Pelts the Alaska Trappers had entrusted him to sell, into 40 foot long van. Drove out of Alaska, after he Double checked that the building and "ALL" of the buildings & contents (Read: customers trophies, and trappers pelts) was full insured for FIRE.

You will never guess what happened that night..........So if you think you have been pee'ed on by a taxidermist/ tannery operator, you ain't meet the master. You will need to go to "HELL" to meet him today. Criminal charges you ask........sorry, NONE.

Honest communication on time line has been my biggest problem. If a quality job is going to take 18 months than tell me that, I have no problem waiting. Just don't tell me 6 months knowing it's going to be three times that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk