Thread: Worst Experience with Taxidermist Ever

Post Worst Experience with Taxidermist Ever

Hello all,

I am not down to ripping companies to badly, but this has gone to far for how much money I spend on my critters. First problem, false deadline on when he will finish. This process started back from my north slope trip last fall. He gave me a deadline of before Christmas, which is very very fast for a fall harvest. When Christmas came no call, when new years came no answer, and finally at the end of febuary he answered and said it would be about another three weeks. Well, after three weeks no call, five weeks, no answer by this time I am getting mad and we are in mid march. The only way he would ever call me back is when I would leave a disgruntled message on his companies Facebook page. He then gave me another few week deadline. So late april rolls around, and he finally asks me out to the shop to look at my mounts which is 1 each grizzly, 1 each european caribou mount, and the bear skull beetled and bleached. I was so exited I could not wait, I ran to his door and even took my kids inside. I was all smiles until I was looking around his shop and did not see my mount, he kept talking to me when he pointed at the rug he was just finishing. Telling me how nice my grizzly was, he flipped it over. I saw the scars on his face just like mine, and I knew it was mine, his mouth was open, and the rug was stretched. When he looked back at me I must have been white. I looked at him and said this is not at all what I wanted, It was just the opposite. I showed him the receipt, and it stated: 3/4 Mount, Mouth Closed, slight turn right....

I was highly upset and when I couldn't talk anymore I wanted to see the caribou european mount. He couldn't find it, and asked me to describe what it looked like. Are you F@#@#$ kidding me? He didn't even know what mount was mine. We found it in a pile of untouched caribou racks, and he kept apologizing but all i was hearing was myself getting pissed. I asked where the bear skull was and he told me it was in the beetle shed, I didn't even care just wanted out of there.

It is now a couple days from June, and no bear skull yet. I still owe him 500 bucks, and quite frankly don't want to pay him another penny. But I think if I don't pay him, he has the right to take my other critters he did on the same bill. I don't really care about the skull anymore, I just want out. My "RUG" is stuck that way, and now I have a rugged mouth open grizzly that is 7.5 feet. Which is why I wanted my brook range blonde once in a lifetime grizzly 3/4 mounted. I am very upset. I am sure this site will delete this post, but hopefully they will just black out the company name. PM me for the company if they do.

Company's name is ***** ** *** ***** Taxidermy. <name removed per forum policy>

Good looking rug, great job on it. Except for the wrong MOUNT, Crappy customer service, and the fact I will do everything possible to make other Alaskans not go through the heartache of seeing their trophy not the way they want.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    am sure this site will delete this post, but hopefully they will just black out the company name. PM me for the company if they do.
    Nope, we won't delete the post - will just remove the name and invite people to PM you, just as you mentioned. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, and I appreciate you being willing to share with our members privately.

Hi JoJoMoose..

It sounds like another instance of poor business practices. Sorry for the inconveniences you've had to go through.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Pretty shocking stuff. Don't see how it's possible, really.

I mean, for what you guys pay and for how unique/custom/special/important as these things are, what the heck?

Imagine waiting a year for a custom specced Kingfisher and when you show up to pick up your boat they hand you the keys to your new motorcycle.

Clearly you have never heard of Tinny Spencer in Sterling, Alaska (1970's). He was the master, he is long dead now, and few remember what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post

I wonder if he was doing mounts for Cabelas. I have heard of others that have experienced big delays while their taxi was doing other work. Not making excuses. Just saying that may be why it took so long although it is still bad business not to disclose this.

I can count of the fingers of one thumb the mounts and taxi work I've received which were precisely as detailed on the work order and made it out of the shop on or before the estimated completion date.

I have two terrific reindeer mounts; one head and one velvet plaque done by the same taxidermist in the valley that were exactly as ordered, and beautifully done. I had no timeline; I trusted the taxi to get them done when he could, and didn't pressure him to turn them out with a deadline. He has a very good reputation, and charges a goodly bit for his work. In the taxidermy field, the best usually are very backed up, and often command premium prices because their work is known to be quality. In my opinion, if you start shopping for guys with the lowest rates, you'll find work to match the rate.

Willphish4food -

great post!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I have two terrific reindeer mounts; one head and one velvet plaque done by the same taxidermist in the valley that were exactly as ordered, and beautifully done. I had no timeline; I trusted the taxi to get them done when he could, and didn't pressure him to turn them out with a deadline. He has a very good reputation, and charges a goodly bit for his work. In the taxidermy field, the best usually are very backed up, and often command premium prices because their work is known to be quality. In my opinion, if you start shopping for guys with the lowest rates, you'll find work to match the rate.
    I didn't even ask prices when I was looking for the taxi for my lynx mount, it's not that I can afford to throw money away but I figured it was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity so I figured I'd cut back somewhere else and make up for it. I got a great mount back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Unfortunately this stuff happens every year with some regularity. Even after doing research, going to taxi shops, talking to the owners, looking at their work, looking at friends mounts and sharing their experiences. So after doing all of that, a person decides, puts their trust in someone and presses on. REPUTATION is huge with me personally. The price is worth it then.. I think this guy got a bad apple who wasn't diligent, got in a hurry, over worked himself, obviously didn't read the workup sheet, or didn't care.. Maybe all of the above, who knows.. That's too bad...
    Taxidermy is art, and when you pay for art, it's because you're paying for something that you want and know will last... I'd be pissed too...