Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no 2 strokes on the Kenai

Default no 2 strokes on the Kenai

http://www.adn.com/front/story/8950200p-8850239c.html

This is gonna be a bummer for the guy who can't afford a new motor. It's almost like the guides are trying to run everyone else off.

Starting to look like "Little California" on the Kenai. Bummer!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default No CARBURETED 2-strokes

DFI (direct fuel injection) will be OK...
    I.E.; Evinrude Etec and other DI motors are compliant

The Kenai was exceeding the water quality standards set by the State on a number of days in July. Removal of 2 stroke motors - and if you read the regulation all the way through - will improve water quality so that there are no exceedences of the standard but also that 2 stroke motors less than 35 horse will still be allowed. The people who are using 25 and 30 hp motors will be able to continue to use them.

At this time the Kenaitze tribe is offering $500 toward the purchase of a new compliant - motor when you turn in a 35 hp 2 stroke. There are some other programs coming that will be announced shortly to help off set the cost of a new motor.

I know we all don't like the Californication of Alaska-I was born and raised here and remember the "good old days" 50 years ago when you could do pretty much what you wanted.....like run bulldozers down the river and build jettys and harbors and all kinds of fun stuff. As our population has grown we need to take action, like limiting the amount of hydrocarbons we put into a prime salmon river, to preserve as much of our wildlife and fish as possible. This regulation is a step in the right direction. Sorry there is a financial burden - the first time I took my old pick up through Anchorage inspection it cost over $600 to make it meet the specs........things change and we have to change with them.

From what I read, even those motors under 35 HP will not be allowed after next year. They are giving us a couple years to upgrade. And the $500. to help upgrade to $5000.00 motor if you turn in your perfectly good (in some cases only a year or 2 old $3,000. to $4,000.) motor is not going to help most of us. IMHO they would be better off limiting the numbers of boats allowed on the river somehow I know that would be hard to enforce. Maybe do it like to old "gas line" problem where they would only let boats with odd registration numbers on somedays and even the other days. This would include guides. We don't want to put those poor guys out of business, just get more of the family sportfisherman off the river like the guides seem to be pushing for. This would help the river water quality, as well as make it safer and slow down the number of altercations from over crowding the river as well. It has become an absolute ZOO down there in the past 5-10 years. Let the flames begin...

I agree with AK Fly Guy. I too, like Gusdog44 was born here. It doesn't matter if you put more "cleaner" motors on the river. There are just too many of them on the river. Think about it, if you had 100 or even 1,000 "clean" motors on the river, they still pollute. People seem to forget that even the clean motors emit pollution. Why not take those sections of the river where it is the worse and make them drift only? Presto, no pollution from an engine. Isn't that what the goal is? Of course, then the guides might not like that...

Alaskas' standard of 10 parts per billion is the lowest in the nation. Even with a lot of older 2 strokes on the river there were only a very few days in July where the standard was exceeded. Getting the 2 strokes off the river will eliminate the exceedence.

If the hydrocarbon release in the river is then within the limits set by the state, why would you push for a drift boat river? How on earth would you set it up? It just doesn't seem practical. How would a power boater get up or down the river to access th PU fishery? Would there be "travel corridors" through the drift areas to allow transit by motorized persons? Parks can't seem to enforce all the regs in place now - who would enforce and how? What would a property owner like myself do if the river in front of my home went drift?? I would then be deprived of my opportunity to fish as I am too darned old and out of shape to row all day.

Why not support the plan? George Patton said that a good plan, today, is better than a perfect plan tomorrow......lets do what we can now, continue to study, and take further action IF NEEDED when we find out more.

I'm don't agree with jumping on the band wagon simply because a plan is submitted. Obviously, this is a complex issue. I didn't jump on the Murkowski (spelling?) gas line band wagon either. Look how that's turning out. Nor am I responsible for submitting a plan. I am simply voicing my opinon. I do not like the plan, but as a fellow boater, I would honor it. We don't have to agree, but I'd certainly shake your (supporters) hand and bid you a good day on the water. I think a lot of use have strong feelings about this issue and posting can help vent some of the frustrations while reading an opposing side of view. We're all boaters and we can agree to disagree.

Default Good move

Banning the old 2-strokes is a good move. I for one wont miss the clouds of blue smoke hanging over the river.

4 strokes have been around for almost a decade. You donít have to buy a 2007 50HP 4-stroke. Look at some older motors, 20, 30, 40 hp. You can pick them up pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    Banning the old 2-strokes is a good move. I for one wont miss the clouds of blue smoke hanging over the river.

But I love that aroma early in the morning!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    Banning the old 2-strokes is a good move.......
    Yeah, banning things is great, especially when you're the banner and not the bannee.

It isnt like this was not expected as this change has been predicted for several years at least.
    I am sure in the end it will result in a better fishery for all of us.
    Tennessee

delete
    delete
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    But I love that aroma early in the morning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yeah, banning things is great, especially when you're the banner and not the bannee.
    Heck I love that smell anytime of day.

I second that about being the bannee
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

How about banning or restricting the guides? They make majority of the wakes on the Kenai becuase their are overloaded. Some of them are the rudest people on the water! How about restricting guiding to Alaskans instead of all the out of staters???? Make them use 4 strokes, which most of them already have, but in July they come out of the woodworks with 2 strokes.

I believe in cleaning up the Kenai or other rivers but lets not ban the little guy from upgrading his motor that would cost up to 6K for a 50 hp. Wouldn't it be better to lengthen the process out a little more for the little guy? Seems like the guides where supporting this from the beginning. It will force people to sell their boat and go on a guided trip.

Ryan

i live on the Kenai Peninsula but do not own a Kenai river boat set up, so i do not have a vested interest. I just don't see it as fair to force someone who has been fishing the river for years that may have been forced to down grade motor now is having to get 4 stroke. i would think they could be registered ( grandfathered in )and no "new" 2 strokes added to fleet. especially if Alaska has the strictest water reg. even last year at the bad times was probably no where near as bad as many other rivers have been for years. there are some folks who will have to give up fishing the Kenai because they can not afford the new style motor.

how about passing a law to not allow idleing motors or you must have motor off until a fish is hooked. that would clean river greatly.....be fun to watch also
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Mark

Two strokes are becoming less available new now anyway. Why not just let them attrition out?

I think I know. It's about getting people off the river, and the sooner the better. When this arbitrary silliness has passed, they'll find another change that will discourage a few more folks.............

We currently have a problem with hydrocarbons in the Kenai. The fastest way to fix it is to remove the old technology 2 strokes from the river. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to delay any longer when we have a fix.

Don't forget what happened in the 80s when a whole lot of people had to get rid of their inboard jet boats on the Kenai. The economic impact was greater than this current regulation will create, but the perception was that the guys with the jet boats were "rich old guys" and they were not given any type of grandfathering or slow phase in. They took the hit and either fished elsewhere or took a loss on the boat and bought one that complied with the new regulations.

Currently there is a program with the Kenatzie tribe and Kenai Watershed Forum to credit people with $500 toward the purchase of a new motor. I understand that there are a couple of other programs that will be available by the end of the year to also help with the cost.

We have a problem, we have found a solution, lets move forward.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    .....Don't forget what happened in the 80s when a whole lot of people had to get rid of their inboard jet boats on the Kenai.....
    How could I forget it? Or any of the other myriad increased access restrictions or outright denials that have come down the pike over the last 27 years?

The economic impact was greater than this current regulation will create, but the perception was that the guys with the jet boats were "rich old guys" and they were not given any type of grandfathering or slow phase in.
    Yeah, "those rich old guys" ought to be used to taking it in the shorts by now.

They took the hit and either fished elsewhere or took a loss on the boat and bought one that complied with the new regulations.
    That's the goal, isn't it?; fish elsewhere.

Currently there is a program with the Kenatzie tribe and Kenai Watershed Forum to credit people with $500 toward the purchase of a new motor. I understand that there are a couple of other programs that will be available by the end of the year to also help with the cost.
    Well, that's mighty nice of 'em. At least that's more consideration than the "rich old guys" got years ago.

We have a problem, we have found a solution, lets move forward.
    I'm impressed with your optimism.

Let me guess; you run a 4-stroke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast