Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Bears

Default No Bears

I have been running a stand out in PWS for about 8 years now. Always bears there and have taken quite a few. This year I put the bait in about 4 weeks ago. And so far, 1 deer. Trail cam has nothing on it. Eagle, raven.... me.

A friend is using my other stand about 1/2 mile down the beach. We have about 190 photos of one 6 foot, rubbed out bear. And that is it. One only.

It is baffling me the lack of bears. It is just not normal.

I have an airman coming in Friday to hunt for two days. So tonight or tomorrow I am going to do a jelly burn and see what happens.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Very slow for us as well..

No bears yet at our usual location in 16. Had a friend take a very nice bear up above us though..Hopefully will heat up in very short order.

I'm headed down for a week to look for one for the wife. Hope they are just sleeping in.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Very slow for us as well..

No bears yet at our usual location in 16. Had a friend take a very nice bear up above us though..Hopefully will heat up in very short order.
    Same for us. I had come to a conclusion that there must be another bait/food source nearby that the bears like better, but hearing that a lot of guys are experiencing the same thing, now I don't know what to think. We have 1-2 bears hitting our site about once every three to four days...makes it pretty tough to pattern them.

I am close enough to the shoreline that any bear walking the edge should smell the bait. It is just odd. Tomorrow is jelly burn day. So we will see what happens.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I was at fish and game yesterday in Fairbanks and the guy told me they had next to nothing for 3 weeks and in the last two days have had about 20 a day come in. I hope it picks up for you guys soon. We are just starting to get going good.

That's good to hear akrogers, because I've got a good location and tons of scent, just no bears! Hopefully you're right and it's just gonna start picking up. There's been a definite weather shift here in fairbanks in the past couple of days also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    I was at fish and game yesterday in Fairbanks and the guy told me they had next to nothing for 3 weeks and in the last two days have had about 20 a day come in. I hope it picks up for you guys soon. We are just starting to get going good.
    Good to hear, I was thinking the opposite, SE is waaaaay ahead on foliage and temperatures etc. (up north also?) so I figured a lack of bears would be because they were in summer mode and elsewhere than bait piles as compared to not moving yet. Happy bug swatting to all the baitstanders out there

I have had the same bait same tree same barrel for six years with bears demolishing it every other night. This year I have had one bear (brown ) come in once. I am starting g to wonder if someone told them we can shoot brownies from bait. I can't figure out where they all went. Numbers are 37 or so have been shot but that's for the whole peninsula. Guess we have till Saturday. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by robertnbrewer View Post
    That's good to hear akrogers, because I've got a good location and tons of scent, just no bears! Hopefully you're right and it's just gonna start picking up. There's been a definite weather shift here in fairbanks in the past couple of days also.

We noticed a huge difference in the temp from Sunday night (we froze) to Tuesday (it was warm). Good luck everyone.

I hope that does it! I have not had a single hit either yet... Previous years we had lots of opportunities. I am heading back out tomorrow.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Well boys. I'm convinced there's not a single bear between fairbanks and delta. Not a single one. Lol.

Same story in unit 7 for me. I thought I just suck at bear baiting but sounds like my frustration is shared. Good luck to all bruin chasers & hopefully it picks up.

Patience people.... If they don't hit your bait by May 20 DOES NOT mean that your bait sucks or isn't working.
    Every year is a little early or a little late when bears go nuts. Snow pack from winter, break up, bad spring weather, etc., all are factors. Stay after it, it'll happen... Jeesh...

Default no bears here?

where did youfind the number of harvested bears at ? ive been running round the woods from glenallen down to palmer have not seen bear sign anywhere its running out of ideas especially since you guys are saying they aren't even hitting the bait sites

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I have had the same bait same tree same barrel for six years with bears demolishing it every other night. This year I have had one bear (brown ) come in once. I am starting g to wonder if someone told them we can shoot brownies from bait. I can't figure out where they all went. Numbers are 37 or so have been shot but that's for the whole peninsula. Guess we have till Saturday. Good luck
    Why only until saturday?

Browns end on he 31 st. I will still be out there looking for blackies. But I am sure on the 1st my bait will be overrun with browns. Just the way it work sometimes.

is that for your unit specifically? where does it stat that? I thought it was open to same regs as black bears....

RB 300. Says right in the regs unit 7. Did I meet you in happy valley last year?

Ah I see, I am in unit 13d so i guess it wouldnt apply. My bad. It is highly possible that we met in happy valley last year, i was in a white cummins with a hunting buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast