Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Is it really true?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default Is it really true?

    Recently, I read somewhere, that the copper fouling in a Stainless Steel barrel made the patches GRAY, while the fouling in a non-stainless barrel was BLUE.

    I even repeated this, and I'm sorry I did. Because, IIRC I had BLUE on the patches when I cleaned my One and Only SS barrel rifle.

    I won't be able to check it until I shoot that rifle again enough to copper foul it.

    So, I'm asking if the above is a True Fact.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Copper fouling, in my stainless guns, comes out blue when using wipe out.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  3. #3
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Never gave it much thought but I cleaned a SS 358 last weekend that had several rounds down it and the patches were a dirty grey color for what its worth.... I would think the type of powder one is shooting and how dirty it is combined with the copper would be a factor more than just the copper alone???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  4. #4

    Default

    I have cleaned copper from a couple different stainless barrels and it come out blue. I would guess that if you are getting gray patches out of your barrel that it is powder fouling and you have not got to the copper yet.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    485

    Default

    I think it is the chemical makeup of the cleaning solution you are using as to whether the copper turns blue or not. Sweets or MPRO in the stainless barrel of a 20 yo Model 700 I have does it.
    I worry more about getting out the powder fouling more so than the last bit of copper. Sticking a Q Tip in the end of the barrel a 1/2" will allow light to reflect off of the whiteness and plainly show any copper. A patch with some Ezox protects the rifling from corrosion until the next time it gets shot.

  6. #6
    Member Steven_JR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    301

    Default

    When I clean the barrel on my Rem Model Seven stainless barrel with Hoppes 7, the patches come out a grey color when wet. But after they sit in the air and dry out for a bit they turn a blueish green. I would say more green than blue though.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Thanks All:

    I was using Wipe-Out, actually the Gunslick Version. That seems to be the only thing that really works for me.

    I normally clean a gun with some kind of Copper Solvent, THEN the copper SHOWs at the end of the barrel, bright and shiny, on top of the lands, at which time I use the Foam till that goes away, usually only one application.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I think it is the chemical makeup of the cleaning solution you are using as to whether the copper turns blue or not. Sweets or MPRO in the stainless barrel of a 20 yo Model 700 I have does it.
    I worry more about getting out the powder fouling more so than the last bit of copper. Sticking a Q Tip in the end of the barrel a 1/2" will allow light to reflect off of the whiteness and plainly show any copper. A patch with some Ezox protects the rifling from corrosion until the next time it gets shot.
    The last bit of copper may NOT cause a problem. I have that on the authority of an Expert BR guy. He said it fills the cavities in the barrel.

    To examine a barrel, I usually hold it up to a florescent light, OR put a white patch in the action and while letting light shine on it look down from the muzzle.

    Looking at the barrel that way, I can't tell if there is copper or not. I look at the lands at the muzzle end, and pay attention to the patch color.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Never gave it much thought but I cleaned a SS 358 last weekend that had several rounds down it and the patches were a dirty grey color for what its worth.... I would think the type of powder one is shooting and how dirty it is combined with the copper would be a factor more than just the copper alone???
    I wonder if there is different makeups, of SS barrels.

    I just remembered, I have TWO rifles with SS barrels. The 280 is on a Blued Action.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have cleaned copper from a couple different stainless barrels and it come out blue. I would guess that if you are getting gray patches out of your barrel that it is powder fouling and you have not got to the copper yet.
    OR, the patch is dry.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Yup there are many types of stainless used for barrels but Id guess 80-90% of them are ether 410 or 411.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  12. #12
    Member hunterelk2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mancos, CO
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I use wipeout, and all of my patches come out dark blue cleaning stainless barrels.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterelk2002 View Post
    I use wipeout, and all of my patches come out dark blue cleaning stainless barrels.
    OK, Thanks.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #14

    Default

    I think the cleaning chemical makes a difference. A dedicated cooper cleaning chemical from Barnes and Shooters Choice turns my patches blue on my stainless barrels. Not so much with Hoppes #9.

  15. #15

    Default

    Bore cleaners with a high ammonia content cause copper fouling to come out blue; It's a chemical reaction. There are other bore cleaners (ammonia free) that are used as copper removers and they may cause a different type of reaction and a different color change on contact with copper.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Bore cleaners with a high ammonia content cause copper fouling to come out blue; It's a chemical reaction. There are other bore cleaners (ammonia free) that are used as copper removers and they may cause a different type of reaction and a different color change on contact with copper.
    OOPS, I done forgot to mention that I was using Foam. (Like Wipe-out, only the Gunslick version.)

    Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Bore cleaners with a high ammonia content cause copper fouling to come out blue; It's a chemical reaction. There are other bore cleaners (ammonia free) that are used as copper removers and they may cause a different type of reaction and a different color change on contact with copper.
    I know a target shooter that uses only ammonia. He puts a little rubber cap and hose clamp over the end of the barrel then stands the gun on it's nose and pours it full of ammonia. I always thought he was nuts......maybe not huh?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I know a target shooter that uses only ammonia. He puts a little rubber cap and hose clamp over the end of the barrel then stands the gun on it's nose and pours it full of ammonia. I always thought he was nuts......maybe not huh?
    Ammonia bore cleaners while effective on copper can damage the bore of a rifle if the bore is exposed to the chemical for prolonged periods.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  19. #19
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    80

    Default

    They come out blue from my stainless barrels, using ammonia based products. The gray preceding the blue is the powder fouling. I also get gray when I use non-ammonia products like Witches Brew.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •