Thread: new to anchorage and would like Pike info

Default new to anchorage and would like Pike info

Hello I am new to Anchorage and would like to no where there is some really good pike lakes outside of anchorage. I tryed Nancy lake last week with no luck, also please tell me what kind of bait you use here, In Michigan I would us daredevils and kastmasters or live large chubs and suckers, please any info will help. Im like a fish out of water here dont no what bait to use or what lakes to try

Don't give up! They're all through the Nancy Lake Rec Area with Redshirt Lake being the most popular for pike.

FYI no live bait allowed in AK. Spoons and dead drifted herring or top water plugs. I've also had good success drop shotting soft plastic shad baits.

Call the state DNR office and reserve one of the Redshirt cabins for $25 a day (unless it went up). Be warned, they're very basic but with wood stoves. Rent a canoe (Tippecanoe in Willow used to be the vendor). The canoe's are locked up at the lake--you carry in the key and PFD--sorry I don't have fee info. Pack a weekends worth of gear and grub a hit the trail. 3 miles from the trail head to the lake. Several shallow bays within easy paddling of the canoe rack/main cabin area.

Pike are pike. I think your only adjustments are locations and timing.
    Good luck

Default Nancy Lake Rec Area Pike Report

My wife and I rented a canoe from TippeCanoe last weekend ($57 two days) and they're a great vendor. We paddled/portaged into Big No Luck Lake. The State website claims this lake is "infested" with pike. We paddled the entire shorline pitching double jointed Rapela plugs and fly fishing with mouse patterns and pink poly-wogs. No Luck! There was hardly any weed beds or lilly pads to speak of.

Eventually we ended up on a little pond and caught a few little guys (all under 14 inches) but it was still great fun. We camped out overnight and hardly saw a soul.

Default Should you want some REAL pike...

Move to the Yukon... :P
    Attached Images Attached Images

or Minnesota...
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default But Minnesota don't have Fatty Bombatties...

Like this one...

Default Pike Galore

There are lots of Pike in the lakes West of Wasilla, Red shirt etc. There are even more up near lake creek in Fish lakes, Otter Lake, but those require a boat, plane or snowmachine.