Thread: Forest Service Cabin at Port Chalmers on Montague Island?

Question Forest Service Cabin at Port Chalmers on Montague Island?

Anyone stayed at this cabin? I have reservations out there next month.

Looking for any info, including anchorage, dinghy landing area, cabin amenities, hiking trails, nearby fishing opportunities, etc.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I have stayed at that cabin 4 or 5 times.

Great cabin , protected cove may go dry in spots at low tide, up north of there there is a old army bunker, fishing well we went out deep for dinner!

Shoot me a PM and I can share some specific information.
    Randy

It's been almost 10 years since I was out there. As I recall the bay in front of the cabin will go dry on a low tide, so either anchor some distance from the cabin in deeper water, or have your boat ready to be high and dry. Arriving at high tide will make it easier to unload your gear. The cabin is pretty nice, but bring kerosene or firewood if you want it warm. You're not going to find any dry wood near the cabin. There is plenty of hiking from the cabin. You can hike back behind the cabin all the way to the tip of the peninsula, or skirt the head of the bay and head up into the hills. Not many established trails per say, but plenty of meadows and it's not that heavily forested.

Can't help on fishing intel, we were dropped off for a deer hunt.

View from the cabin across the bay in the fall

View looking back towards the Chugach from the mouth of the bay

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The wood stove takes short wood. I put a new damper in the pipe last summer. I also bought a new globe for the lantern that someone left there - not sure that it would still be there though. Summer you don't need it much.

The cabin should be warm enough without a fire, but if the whether is wet being able to dry out yourself and your clothes is a Godsend. Even if you don't fire up the stove, kicking about around a campfire in the evening outside the cabin is nice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.