Thread: Mamma's new toy!

Default Mamma's new toy!

Just got my new toy. Now to learn how to use it! Yay. I can't wait. I know, I know, aluminum; loud, cold, heavy. Also, affordable, tough, last forever, good for making memories. Thanks for all the info I've already gotten from this site. Watch for future pictures lol.

Waiting till after next payday to buy our life vests, oars, rope, etc.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

looks like a 17 FT dubble end you will have a lot of fun an a lot of fishing an it will last a long time it will be around for a long time to come
    SID

But it will last forever with minimum care and will bring a ton of good memories! Thanks for waiting on the vests!! Good on ya!!

Nice ride
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks guys. I know I said I can't wait but of course yes, we will wait for vest. I do try to be a good role model for my kids. I figured we would take it down to the Chena and just play around Grahel Park (shallow, wide, slowish) and practice the different strokes first, play tippy canoe and see what it will do.

congrats on the canoe, and the pup too. when you train the pup to sit still, don't hesitate to give the dog a bonk on the noggin with a paddle if they get rowdy.

Lol yea she can't go with us yet as she is too much of a rowdy freakazoid and would probably dump us all!

Yay, made it through our maiden voyage. I had thrown the insurance back on the old 4 runner recently so because I was scared I would scratch my new pretty Ford, I just used that. Eh, that was a good call. Even with the foam blocks, well, we are just not graceful at all on loading yet.

Yes I really thought I knew how to tie the proper knots. I grew up with my dad tying loads down to drive cross country all the time. I've tied down my own share of loads! Luckily when I pulled over 5 miles down the road because I could tell it was sliding backwards a bit, I had some straps in the junk box in the back. Those worked just fine. I need to get some ratchet straps though.

We went to check out our new Chena Lakes park. I must say, they did a great job of fixing up this old gravel pit area into a beautiful little park place. They just opened it a couple of weeks ago while I was in Chicken so this was the first time I have been there. There's a non motorized boat launch, a sandy swim area, a separate picnic area with a covered pavilion. It's the first place like this that we have here. I see it getting much use by town folk and I am happy for them to have such a place to go and get outdoors.

At first Olivia was sitting up on the seat but figured out really fast that she was not comfortable up there so got on the floor which made both of us feel a lot more stable. I think we did pretty good for just learning. It doesn't have a keel so we were blown around a bit when the wind came in. It just gave us that much more experience for learning. We went across the lake and back. Loading the second time was still not as smooth as I know it can be. I'll have to watch some more youtube videos to remind myself how that is supposed to go. I think for the most part it would go smoothly with someone taller and able to pick up one end. Olivia can't carry her end very far yet. Eh, she's just 12.

Swimming area.

That's our vehicle on that far shore there. We hit the beach right as it started to rain so loaded in the rain.

Over all, this is going to be great! I can't wait to learn more.

help stop some of the movement of the canoe , one more strap from what I can see, one tight strap on the back end, to stop it from comming forward, this will help when you stop short for some reason , an you cah put "" pipe insulation"" on the straps to stop rubbin if it bothers you ,
    [ I see you have one on the back to stop it from going back but ?] MY 2 CTS SID

If you want a nice calm trip with the kids, go out to Piledriver Slough. Construction on the Rich has access restricted now, but you can put in off of Eielson Farm Road. You'll have to paddle back up (hardly any current, so that shouldn't be a problem) until they finish construction on the highway and re-open access farther down, but its a good place to go with kids. You're likely to see moose in the slough, and there is decent grayling fishing. Bathing Beauty pond is good in the evenings, too.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    help stop some of the movement of the canoe , one more strap from what I can see, one tight strap on the back end, to stop it from comming forward, this will help when you stop short for some reason , an you cah put "" pipe insulation"" on the straps to stop rubbin if it bothers you ,
    [ I see you have one on the back to stop it from going back but ?] MY 2 CTS SID
    I had one on both the front and back Sid. The problem was my original rope was not tight enough in the front so as I was driving down the highway, the canoe was sliding back. I stopped and put a strap on it instead of a rope and it fixed the problem. I just couldn't get it tight enough with a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    If you want a nice calm trip with the kids, go out to Piledriver Slough. Construction on the Rich has access restricted now, but you can put in off of Eielson Farm Road. You'll have to paddle back up (hardly any current, so that shouldn't be a problem) until they finish construction on the highway and re-open access farther down, but its a good place to go with kids. You're likely to see moose in the slough, and there is decent grayling fishing. Bathing Beauty pond is good in the evenings, too.
    Thanks. My main problem is getting another adult to help me with shuttling between the put in and the take out. None of my friends seem to want to do any outdoors type of stuff.

I never had any luck with the foam blocks under the canoe. We use Yakima's canoe system and it has worked very well for us. With the Outrigger I can get our canoe on our pickup by myself (I not sure I could do an Al canoe by myself, "older age") and it's really easy when the Wife helps. I picked our system up a piece or two at a time when REI or other stores had it on sale. The towers come 2 to a set or 4 to a set. The 4 to a set only cost a couple of $ more than the 2, so I bought the 4 set. ( I run different fronts and backs.) Now I've got enough parts to be able to have racks on two of our rigs at the same time. Makes it nice!

In a few short years your Daughter can help with the shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

We went to check out our new Chena Lakes park.
    Oops, I mean the new Tanana Lakes park.

Finally got it out for my first solo trip a couple of weeks ago. Found out real quick that when it's empty, I needed to be down on the floor. That was pretty comfortable but I am going to get a couple of those foam gardening pads to sit on. It was just down the Chena from Grahel Park to Pikes Landing but the water is still pretty high and the river torn up.