Thread: Taking a handgun(s) on Alaska Airlines

Default Taking a handgun(s) on Alaska Airlines

Anyone travel with their handguns on Alaska Airlines? Any problems? Any advise? I have 6 handguns all unloaded, locked open, and all in a Pelican hard case. The Pelican case has TSA approved padlocks. My wife will have one set of keys to the gun locks and I the other. I am driving through Canada. We are moving back the the lower 48.

I've traveled numerous times on AKAIR with pistols in my checked baggage. Just make sure you declare them and have no ammo in the locked container with the guns and you shouldn't have any problems. Typically I've traveled instate but once brought on from Phoenix.

What he said. It's easier than one would imagine. Same as any other firearm, if you do have ammo, have it in an originalish looking box, keep in separate bag, and declare all.

The ammo claims above are bogus! There is no requirement to keep the ammo and guns separate. Ammo has to be in original or a box designed for ammo. Basically not just loose in a bag. Both can be in the same case.

Basically Declare gun case to airline, sign form, put one copy in case and other back to airline agent, lock up bag tag on, and take to special table or in Anchorage "oversize screening" and away it goes. The verbiage they go by is it has to be "secure" (basically can't access anything inside the case. Some flimsy plastic cases can be locked with a lock or two but still could get to the contents inside).

INdeed!!!!!!!!!!!Bogus!!!!!!!!!!(note use of mass exclamations.........)

see below from Alaska Airlines website:

Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3440-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

I was wrong (see horse's mouth above), but dienqvrs, your ardor was a bit much for a Wednesday.

No ammo, I'm taking that through Canada. Up to 5k round through Canada and I have less than that. I called Canadian Customs/Border and the guy said handgun ammo is ok, hollow points is ok.

Yes, I know what the requirements are regarding the ammo but after i was hassled about it on a trip I just find it much easier to pack it separately.

I carry handguns every trip to Alaska, 2-3x per year, and I've never had a problem. HOWEVER, do NOT use TSA approved locks!!! The traveler must be the ONLY person with a key or combo, read the TSA regs. They don't want baggage handlers, etc. to be able to get into the case. They'll page you if they want to check the bag again, but I've never had them do that. I travel with a Tuffpak most of the time and it has the little round lock/key. I've also done just a locked pistol case in a regular suitcase.

I pack a hard case with the guns and empty mags in it in my bag, ammo not with guns but in same bags as the gun case in ammo boxes . . . I use foam in ammo boxes to stop rattling if needed. At the ticket counter tell the agent you have guns, fill out tag and drop half in the bag with the guns. Now sit tight for 20-30 minets before you go through the TSA check becouse they almost always page me to unlock it for some inspection, I mbst look more republican than redlander or something!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I always stand by until TSA clears my suitcases with guns and ammo. The guns are usually not a problem, but they've checked out my ammo on several flights. Always OK, just a PIA.

Use to put declared tag in gun case, but now anywhere in suitcase is OK.

Note to Wife: Don't shout "I've got a gun!" at ticket station. "I have an unloaded firearm to declare." After "Hi" it's the first thing I say to the counter person. Alaska has always been great to work with. The Wife flew up by herself with a couple of handguns and I really worried about it. For her it was a non-event.

I have traveled with handguns and rifles in cases within my check baggage too and the ammo is in the same case, where else ya gonna put them? I never had a problem. They say theres a limit on ammo, when I went to Africa I took more than I needed...no problems.

Default how much do you like them

Quote Originally Posted by ph21 View Post
    Anyone travel with their handguns on Alaska Airlines? Any problems? Any advise? I have 6 handguns all unloaded, locked open, and all in a Pelican hard case. The Pelican case has TSA approved padlocks. My wife will have one set of keys to the gun locks and I the other. I am driving through Canada. We are moving back the the lower 48.

I am going in November and all my guns are being shipped fed-x to a gun shop in the town I am going to

Is there a max limit to the number of handguns you can have in a rifle case? I.E.- if I want to pack 49 pounds of pistols into a double rifle case will that be an issue? Has anyone flown with "many multiples" of handguns before? Most of us are "club 49" members w/ Alaska Airlines and get two checked bags.... Couldn't see anything on the websites, but thought about actually running to the Airport and running it by in person w/ a TSA supervisor and AA Supervisor... Thanks, Chris..

Why not just call the airlines on the "how many" question. I have flown allover the country with firearms and with different airlines and everyone is a bit different but for the most part it all comes down to who checks you in and if they know what there company's rule is. E.I. IF ammo can be in the same bag, how many guns can be in the case, can pistols be with long guns, does the bolt have to be out of the rifle, etc. Most of the time you the traveler has more knowledge of what the rules are than the person checking you in at the desk.
    You should not have a problem, good luck.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

sweepint is right about contacting the airline about their regulations. I had a problem with a certain airline and once they made a mistake, they would not back up on it and refund my extra fee. Months later, up and down the chain of command, and they still refused to correct their mistake by giving me my $ back. They did give me a credit to fly with them in the future. After I used the credit I've only flow with them once because work booked the flight.

I moved 4 handguns and 1 stripped AR lower in one case on Alaska Air. Must have been a good day because no one was concerned.

It is not normally a big issue with Alaska Airlines and the carrying of guns as checked baggage. They seem to understand our unique "state" and that is one aspect they have done right. Now on to other concerns and that would be the destination airport. You only mentioned that you are returning to the lower 48 and did not specify a particular state. Some of our NE states will or may or have been known to cause grief to honest hard working Americans, just because they were carrying a "concealed weapon" ( a gun in checked baggage with no ammo in the baggage...just because they can). So make sure on the destination end that you will not be breaking any unknown laws before traveling. Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.

Whatever you do, dont take your bolt (or any part) out of your rifle and put it in your carry on. I figured I was being smart by disabling my rifle by carrying the bolt myself....and had the friendly TSA guy confiscate it prior to boarding. Luckily for me, an aquiantance was in the terminal to take it and mail it to me. FWIW, you cannot travel with ANY "Gun Part" in your carry on.

Did confirm, no restrictions as to quantity per the Alaska Airlines website, and speaking with one of their reps on the phone. I know what you guys mean about localities, I have brought rifles through the airport here, Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Portland. No issue anywhere except Portland, people were grabbing their kids, freaking out, you name when I walked up to the counter and properly declared it as required, the joys of a liberal haven..... Chris..