Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

Default Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

Is a Swaro 2.5-10x42 too much scope for this rifle and hunt?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Nope. IMO thats just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Is a Swaro 2.5-10x42 too much scope for this rifle and hunt?
    Hey Romo,,,, here is what I've been using, since I've been toting a .375 Wby/H&H for Quite" sometime now, Ball's in your court.-

Attachment 78837Attachment 78838
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Your good with that scope Romo. FYI I'm Scottf270 on the other forums. I hunted on Kodiak this spring with a Leupy 1.75-6 with heavy reticle.

I've got a Leupold 2x7x33 on mine, plenty of eye relief so I don't scope myself, and plenty of zoom for any shot I'm planning on taking with a 375.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I also have a Leupold 1.75-6 on mine

Default Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

The old leupold 1.5-5x is excellent for my 416 but the 375 probably has a little more usable range. I've had a 416 with a leupold 2-7 and that was a perfect setup. Good eye relief, good clarity and a close enough view for 250-400 yd shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Ditto for the 1.75x6 Leupold; but they are hard to find. However, if I was going to go out of my way for Kodiak hunt, I might go with the 1.5-5 Illuminated Leupold. I doubt any guide would let someone shoot a bear at a distance the 5X would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck hunter View Post
    Your good with that scope Romo. FYI I'm Scottf270 on the other forums. I hunted on Kodiak this spring with a Leupy 1.75-6 with heavy reticle.
    Please tell us about your hunt. Did you get a Bear ? How many did you see ?

Just about any waterproof scope will work. I never seen a scope that you could see thru that wouldn't work just fine. Don't overthink this one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I imagine that all of the recommendations above would work well. Just in case you want one more, I really like the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x 32mm on my .375 Wby. It basically goes from no magnification up to 8x, and is very clear. It has a full six inches of eye relief too: http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...-32mm,-multi-x

Perhaps I should clarify a bit.
    Any adjustable zoom scope will work fine and if your looking at a dream bear thru it, well it just became the best scope ever!
    Big objective lenses are nice but I prefer smaller scopes due to the nature of brush and having to carry a bigger object on my gun. Bigger they are more to go wrong sorta thing. Try to limit possible damage on a trip, exspecially to your scope!! I used a 1.5-5 leuy forever. Small, lower profile less to hit on stuff and the straight tube is sturdier. I once dropped my rifle and bent the eye piece on my scope to where it touched my thumb when I shouldered the rifle. I was still on a paper plate at 180 yards, even having to look up into my scope. Course, leuy sent me a brand new one the next week.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I've got a Leupold 2x7x33 on mine, plenty of eye relief so I don't scope myself, and plenty of zoom for any shot I'm planning on taking with a 375.
    Ditto, same setup on mine.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I put a 2.5-10 on my Kimber 375 H&H. Seems like a great power range for what I want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Seems like a great power range for what I want to do with it.
    Personally, I think that's just it........what a person wants to do with it. If he wants to use heavy loads for a short range bear (only) gun then the smaller scopes should do him fine. If he wants to lighten the loads and reach out a bit for other animals as well, then the larger scopes should do the trick. Whatever he chooses get quality....that thing is a hammer and he needs something that will stand up to it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally, I think that's just it........what a person wants to do with it. If he wants to use heavy loads for a short range bear (only) gun then the smaller scopes should do him fine. If he wants to lighten the loads and reach out a bit for other animals as well, then the larger scopes should do the trick. Whatever he chooses get quality....that thing is a hammer and he needs something that will stand up to it.
    Agree 100%! Well said!

if you want to drop some cash, the leupold vx6 in 1-6 x 24 with illuminated reticle is the best scope they make in that mag size.

if i was dropping that much cash i'd rather spend it on actually going on a bear hunt and using an old 30 dollar bushnell than have a pricey scope and just shoot paper with it!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    if i was dropping that much cash i'd rather spend it on actually going on a bear hunt and using an old 30 dollar bushnell than have a pricey scope and just shoot paper with it!
    Yeah....that $30 Bushnell might be good for one shot. Hopefully that's all he'd need.......lol

That VX6 sure is spendy though....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a 1.5 x 5 with a German #4 reticle, a 1.75 x 6 with a post/duplex reticle, and a 2.5 x 8 with a standard reticle, all are Leupold's. The first 2 scopes were sent to the Leupold Custom Shop to have the reticles installed. The guy I talked to at Leupold told me the 1.6 x 6 is the toughest variable power scope they make and custom gun smith D'Arcy Echols said that is the test scope he uses on his heavy hitters. I sent a 1.5 x 5 back to Leupold in the 80's as the lenses had separated and it would "cloud up" after each shot and then clear back up, weird.. My old 2.5 x 8 has sit on .338's for over 20 years and is my favorite. For your use I would go with the 1.6 x 6 and take a look at the post/duplex the Leupold Custom Shop offers. That or a German #4 would be my reticle of choice on a dedicated brown bear rifle. When you get your new scope leave it submerged in a sink over night and see how it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast