Thread: Susitna river hooligan

Default Susitna river hooligan

As of early afternoon today the main push of hooligan is just above the mouth of the yentna. Some rolling by the deshka but it's 1-3 fish every other dip. Down further it's a full net every swing. Should be perfect timing this coming weekend for those looking to put a bunch in the freezer that don't want to run a bunch of river miles.

Good luck and have fun.

just curious, what does everyone do with them? We kept a few we caught fishing sockeyes last year and they were hands down the worst fish i have ever eaten. We double battered and deep fried them. Is there a way to make them edible or do guys just use them for bait?

Smoked and canned they are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    just curious, what does everyone do with them? We kept a few we caught fishing sockeyes last year and they were hands down the worst fish i have ever eaten. We double battered and deep fried them. Is there a way to make them edible or do guys just use them for bait?
    I've tried to use 'em for bait, but I haven't found a critter that will eat them yet. I've tried them for halibut...nothing.I put a dozen of them at a bear bait site a week ago...the bears ate absolutely everything there, but all 12 hoolies are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I've tried to use 'em for bait, but I haven't found a critter that will eat them yet. I've tried them for halibut...nothing.I put a dozen of them at a bear bait site a week ago...the bears ate absolutely everything there, but all 12 hoolies are still there.
    I had my best day out of Homer for halibut last year using hooligan. This was June 12th. I've done very well using holligan for burbot, pike, and lakers. Two years ago while icefishing on Skilak for lakers the ONLY thing we could catch them on was hooligan. We tried spoons, jigs, eggs, shrimp, herring, and whitefish. Didn't get a single bite. Once we switched to hooligan it was game on, weird I know..
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I had my best day out of Homer for halibut last year using hooligan. This was June 12th. I've done very well using holligan for burbot, pike, and lakers. Two years ago while icefishing on Skilak for lakers the ONLY thing we could catch them on was hooligan. We tried spoons, jigs, eggs, shrimp, herring, and whitefish. Didn't get a single bite. Once we switched to hooligan it was game on, weird I know..
    I got introduced to Halibut fishing on Adak in 1965.. Hooligan were all we had for bait and they worked excellent.. Hooligan would run up a narrow tide channel into Clam lagoon. There was a narrow wooden bridge over the narrow channel and we'd rig a leader with 6 or 7 shinny treble hooks, dip it once and have 6 or 7 hooligan hooked.. One thing you don't want to do with hooligan and that's to leave 10 or 12 of them in a zip lock bag in your favorite fishing jacket..... unless you just want to get a new jacket....

I have caught a ton of burbot and pike with them. Usually I have more success with them than any other bait. I have tried eating them and I can say they are not for me. I am going to try the smoking and canning before I solidify that opinion though.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Susitna river hooligan

Hooligan work

And who wants to pay 10$ for herring

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Nice! I am with you! They make great bait!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice, Gotta love those pout!

We smoke em' and then vac seal em'. First brine, then smoke in alder. Just take them out of the freezer and pan fry them. They make their own oil and the skin becomes super crispy. Haven't had the time to try canning yet, but really want to. They make amazing bait too, as long as they don't fall off the hook too easy if you're surfcasting. You'll need some way to hold them on the hook.

I salt them with garlic salt and pan fry, nothing else added. I also alder smoke them and vacuum seal, they make great hiking/hunting food with all the oil in them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Great pickled too.

Pack em in gallon ziplock bags, about 20 to a bag, and freeze for pike bait. At nearly $10 a dozen for herring, its a huge savings. Plus they usually outfish herring by a considerable margin. Our cats love em for treats, too. For eating, I like to smoke them, brining them in a very simple salt, sugar, soy sauce and hot sauce brine.