Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People camping next to your bait.

Default People camping next to your bait.

So I have a bear bait. It's not the best location. It's at the end of a dead end trail that I've never seen anybody down, and then it's a little ways off the trail in the woods. My buddy went to check on it this weekend and there was people camping about 50 yards from my barrel. I have those bright caution black bear baiting signs spread out down the trail. Furthest one about a half mile away from the bait. Well he pulled my camera so it wouldn't get stolen. Looking through the pictures there's a guy walking around through my site and several of his dogs eating the bait. My questions are one is this illegal? I didn't call the troopers or anything, and second does anyone have any experience with this happening and do you think they ran the bears off by being there? Thanks in advance for any input.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    So I have a bear bait. It's not the best location. It's at the end of a dead end trail that I've never seen anybody down, and then it's a little ways off the trail in the woods. My buddy went to check on it this weekend and there was people camping about 50 yards from my barrel. I have those bright caution black bear baiting signs spread out down the trail. Furthest one about a half mile away from the bait. Well he pulled my camera so it wouldn't get stolen. Looking through the pictures there's a guy walking around through my site and several of his dogs eating the bait. My questions are one is this illegal? I didn't call the troopers or anything, and second does anyone have any experience with this happening and do you think they ran the bears off by being there? Thanks in advance for any input.
    Were there bears hitting the bait prior to the campers moving in?

Yes bears were hitting it

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My hopes wouldn't be real high, that the bears will be back, but it's certainly possible. It's also possible that one of the campers think they found a great new hunting spot. It really sucks that these knuckleheads messed up your hunt, I feel for ya!!

Welcome to the new Alaska
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

YEP....that be true.............and it will only get worse, as more and more, and more, and more, and more, and more humans escape the lower 48 to migrate to paradise, where game is plentiful, and anyone can live off the land. The land is free, the log cabin practically builds it's self. Alaska, a hunters and fisherman's paradise. All employment starts at $200,000.00 per year, with two weeks on and two months off to hunt and fish. ATV's are welcome everywhere. And Bald Eagle tastes like Kentucky Fried Chicken........

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Welcome to the new Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Sounds like squatters. We get a lot of them down here where they pick a spot off to the side somewhere, drop lots of crap (literally and figuratively) and seek out under the table wages. Unfortunately, none of the governmental agencies seem to want to handle such people. But you... if YOU break a rule, real or imagined, the LEOs will be on you so quick it will make your head spin.
    I'd sure report them if I was you. They are probably in trespass. Maybe drop a hint that they aren't paying taxes, or they are making hard liquor....

I would politely ask them to leave. If not then do a large fan of bait and grease every where around the camp. It would get really harry there at night. the bears will come back and get quite bold. If they shoot one then you have some one hunting your bait that doesn't have permission.
    also I would call the wildlife troopers and just ask a general question.

if they are screwing up your hunt, they may be guilty of "hunter harassment." It is against the law to interfere with the lawful hunting of game in the state of Alaska. I would definitely be talking to them!

Whether there first or not, Why bait so close to the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    I would politely ask them to leave. If not then do a large fan of bait and grease every where around the camp. It would get really harry there at night. the bears will come back and get quite bold. If they shoot one then you have some one hunting your bait that doesn't have permission
    Poor advice. You are promoting attracting bears to the campsite of another. Very dangerous and could result in criminal charges to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    Poor advice. You are promoting attracting bears to the campsite of another. Very dangerous and could result in criminal charges to you.
    Actually he was already attracting bears to his bait stand before the campers started camping. If there are signs posted informing others of a bait station, and he's got pics of the guy and his dogs at the bait site, sounds to me like the campers may be bear hunters as well...like these campers are encroaching on your bait stand.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Actually he was already attracting bears to his bait stand before the campers started camping. If there are signs posted informing others of a bait station, and he's got pics of the guy and his dogs at the bait site, sounds to me like the campers may be bear hunters as well.
    But now it has been suggested that the camp be surrounded by bait. It is one thing for individuals to enter a risky situation, it is quite another for a different individual to knowingly exacerbate a bad situation.

If my neighbor drives fast and dangerous is one thing. If I loosen his lug nuts to teach him a lesson is another thing.

But now it has been suggested that the camp be surrounded by bait. It is one thing for individuals to enter a risky situation, it is quite another for a different individual to knowingly exacerbate a bad situation.

If my neighbor drives fast and dangerous is one thing. If I loosen his lug nuts to teach him a lesson is another thing.
    Well if they know there's a bait station right there in the area, then they are camping there at their own risk in the first place.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Well if they know there's a bait station right there in the area, then they are camping there at their own risk in the first place.
    Yes. But you don't spread more bait around their camp

If not then do a large fan of bait and grease every where around the camp. It would get really harry there at night. the bears will come back and get quite bold

Yes. But you don't spread more bait around their camp
    Give me a break...they camped 50 yards from the bait stand, the bait was there BEFORE they chose to camp, the bait is 'already' spread around their camp, if they continue to camp 'knowing' the bait is a mere 50 yards away, they most likely want to shoot a bear off someone elses bait. ( Or maybe they are the Timothy Treadwell type. )
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Whether there first or not, Why bait so close to the trail?
    Like I said in my original post not the best location. The trail dead ends no where for anyone to go and nothing to do back there. They however camped right next to a bright colored black bear baiting sign.

On another note, I wish my buddy had taken pictures of them and reported them. They left trash and a pretty big slightly spread out down the trail mess of toilet paper and other waste. Pretty sad that people are too lazy to haul out what they don't burn. Plus having a fire last weekend was stupid of them anyways.

I suspect that they are protesting it in some fashion, they may move on due to some sleepless nights, as for baiting around the camp, that was more of a want to do than really would. I did mention calling the troopers as well, that would be my first move.
    You have pics of the guy and you could still give those to the troopers as well.

They left sometime Monday or late Sunday. I sat the bait the last 2 nights. There was fresh tracks through the trail since the campers left. But nothing has touched the bait since we rebaited it. Did burns both nights for about 2 hours. I'd rather not call them in. I just wished I would have been around I would have made them leave. My partner wasnt really sure what we could do. The only pics I have are of the guys back and the dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast