Thread: Son's and Son-In-laws

Default Son's and Son-In-laws

I spent all winter loading 223 ammo and recently discovered that I haven't got a gun in the house that shoots 223. So I sent out one of those text messages that goes to several someones all at once and stated that someone best fetch me home a 223 rifle. My son and my daughters husbands like to shoot up my ammo with my guns and it's all good with me, just leave me any 223 to shoot groundhogs with. My Son-In-Law from Des Moines came bringing me a brand new mini 14. One of the new tactical ones. I guess that means he's trading me for the AR15 that he's got. Works for me! I've always like the mini over the AR platform anyway. Especially if it is one that shoots under 2 inches........that's as good as I need to be anyway!

Same kinda deal here. But when he's deployed overseas, I get em all back PLUS his.

Parity!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Same kinda deal here. But when he's deployed overseas, I get em all back PLUS his.

Parity!
    We both probably have more guns than we can shoot anyway! I killed a couple big groundhogs last week with my 243 shooting 58 Grain Vmaxes at 3850 fps. Ya gots to shoot em 3 or 4 times with a 223 to mess them up that good! Ha!

Sounds like a pretty good deal there. And thanks again for them 65 gr V-Maxes they shoot like a house-of-fire out of my 6mm. 3500 fps and about 1/2 inch groups. They make a fine red mist on ground squirrels.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good deal there. And thanks again for them 65 gr V-Maxes they shoot like a house-of-fire out of my 6mm. 3500 fps and about 1/2 inch groups. They make a fine red mist on ground squirrels.
    Yup, I always liked those 65 Vmaxes but found that the 58's shoot about the same and found a big stash of them for not much money. So I'm now blow stuff up with the 58's.

I plan to do most of my coyote hunting from here out with this 243 shooting 58's.......for the long shots anyway. I'm dying to kill a coyote with my Rossi 256 but can't find any Hornady 60 grainers to shoot out of it. They are suppose to be making another run of them soon and i've been promised some of them. I flung a few lead bullets at a coyote a couple weeks ago but need the 60 grainers to be real serious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ...can't find any Hornady 60 grainers....
    Huh....

Thought I could give you some, but darned if I can find them. I was sure I still have a few dusty boxes (never liked them myself), but they weren't where I thought I'd put them. Back to your point of sons-in-law? Doubt it, because that would involve pulling the lever on a reloading press. Could be I parted with them in the last few years, and it's fallen through the cracks in my brain. Much more likely!

Huh....

Thought I could give you some, but darned if I can find them. I was sure I still have a few dusty boxes (never liked them myself), but they weren't where I thought I'd put them. Back to your point of sons-in-law? Doubt it, because that would involve pulling the lever on a reloading press. Could be I parted with them in the last few years, and it's fallen through the cracks in my brain. Much more likely!
    Well thanks for thinking of me anyway!

I've got connections at Brownells but so far that hasn't even worked! Soon they say. The Rossi shoots 70 grain gas checked cast bullets at 2200 fps like a dream and that is enough to off a coyote. I just haven't got a real clean shot at one yet.

I did go to work on the mini 14 last night. The mail man brought me a new Hogue stock for it yesterday so I took off the ugly tactical stock and replaced it. I can't understand the cool in having rails all the way around the forearm part of the stock..... where do you put your hand?

When I see my son-in-law I will give him back the flashlight, the laser, the extry sling swivels, and the $25 Red Dot that was mounted like a scout scope . I will also give him a roll of duct tape so he can fasten all of that crap to the black gun. After much digging I found a couple of sets of Ruger 77 rings. I took the short rings out of each of those sets and stuck them and an old Fla. made Universal fine cross hair 4x scope on top and by George now I have a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ...and by George now I have a gun!
    Getting harder to find real guns these days, isn't it. Digging down past the black is a worthwhile effort for my tastes!

Have you tried those Speer 75 grain FP's in the Rossi? My favorite bullet in both the 25-20 and 25-35 these days.

Have you tried those Speer 75 grain FP's in the Rossi? My favorite bullet in both the 25-20 and 25-35 these days.
    His Rossi loves them, that is what I tested it with. Itís a great little bullet and the 256 will motor them right along pretty good with some LilGun. I havenít been able to find any to buy any for over a year now and Iím hording only about ten. EKC sent me some of those 70g FP gas checked cast and they look great but have shipped all the 256 off to new homes and havenít built another to try any in yet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good to know! As a dedicated 25 cal fan, I haven't crossed the 256 off my list. It's just a matter of shortening the list a little until its turn comes up. I shoot my 25-20 and look at the stack of cases and bullets I have for it, and the 256 slips a little. But it's still a 25, dang it!