Thread: Back pain= stool?

Default Back pain= stool?

Just wondering if anyone has a good folding stool that they have used for fishing that is stable enough and light enough to help on a ocean fishing charter?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Bud of mine has to wear a leg brace. He's packing one of these now, and sezz it's the best he's ever used. Cheap enough he plans to leave one with us when he visits this summer, and not a big loss if he forgets and leaves one on a charter.

I always found that a 5 gallon bucket with a swivel lid worked well on boats, "Roll-A-Stools" are awesome too...

http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-stool.htm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a good folding stool that they have used for fishing that is stable enough and light enough to help on a ocean fishing charter?

I found some really handy lightweight folding camp stools at Gander Mountain. Got one for my mom for when she goes out on the boat (mine down here or the rentals up there). Has a small backrest & folds up to stow out of the way when things get hectic. Will get the UPC number etc from the tag to post later.

Lower back pain can be caused by compacted stools. Some of the remedies may require use of that five-gallon bucket.

We also use stadium seats and the crazy creek style on top of the boat cooler too.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The best solution probably depends on why you have back pain. I have a fractured L5 vertebrae and a disc that is bad underneath it. I refuse to give up on being out on the water!

I don't know that a stool is the best idea. I think that you'd end up using a lot of core strength to keep yourself stabilized. I'd get burned out pretty quick and end up slouching the rest of the day. (which, obviously, is what you don't want to happened..)

Here's some things that I can recommend:

1. Use a seat cushion. I have tried several, and I like this one from Amazon the best: http://amzn.com/B00006IDA3 It's high density foam and I use it in the car, plane, and the boat and it's held up very well…
    2. Take some heat wraps. I think the ones I have used are ThermaCare brand. They are like $6 for 2 of them.
    3. If possible, go for a walk and stretch before heading out. I know it's hard to do that bright and early (at least it is for me), but going from being half awake to pounding out on the water is really hard on the back
    4. Obviously, if you have meds, take them. It's probably a good idea to pack extra just incase the trip is longer than expected.
    5. If you have a back brace, and that seems to help you, then I would take that too.
    6. Lastly, CATCH FISH! The adrenaline really helps

I would absolutely call the charter captain and see what he recommends. Do that now, don't wait until the morning of your trip... Every boat is different and some might have room for a chair, while others may not have much room for anything at all. I'm sure it's not the first time they've been asked to accommodate someone with a back issue.

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry for being long winded. I know how much back pain sucks, and I just want you to have the best time possible!

thanks for all of the responses so far. one of the reasons that I was asking about stools if for the aspects of sitting higher at the rail for jigging for halibut and not having to rest the rod on the rail at at high angle and having trouble at the moment of truth. A 5 gal bucket wouldn't do the and roundness seems like it wouldn't be very stable. I'm definitely thinking back brace. A high FOLDING stool with a back would be ideal but haven't been able to locate anything. I did see one on line that had an adjustable seat height that seems interesting but worry that it might slip.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Remember the old westerns and the saloons? Now try to remember the rail that was almost on the floor in front of the bar. That rail was there for a reason, to prop your foot on to prevent back pain and keep the cowboys drinking at the bar. You might be better off if you made a small stool (2 or 3 2x6's nailed together-about 4 to 6 inches tall) to place on the floor and place your foot on it. My wife has back problems and I made a stool for her to put her foot on while she was ironing and that eliminated her back pain while standing.