Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got Back- 2014 Bear Hunt

Default Just got Back- 2014 Bear Hunt

Well while everyone was heading south toward fire stricken Kenai in pursuit of black and brown bear, we decided to head north toward the interior to an area we call Griz Highway, we got word of a moose kill and bears were in the area, mainly because of the calving season. The bears mainly hit the low land before migrating on to the salmon streams. I had some use/lose leave so I burned up a couple extra days along with the weekend because I knew this was going to take some time to get in the area. Long story short... It has been a long time dream for me to pursue a griz by spot and stalk, to me, along with sheep hunting, it is the utmost adrenaline rush a hunter could ask for. After several failed attempts through the years, I realized it wasn't going to happen. With each attempt I learned from it, as I re-think my past encounters. And the main thing I have learned is....It is almost near to impossible to stalk griz to within close bow range, Patience is key, and this big boar made the mistake, he crossed my path as I sat at 19 yards !!!! .... My tribute to this Apex predator as I thank him for this experience !!! on a side note not that it matters to me....He'll make P&Y.

[IMG][/IMG]

P&Y really? I think if you were not sitting so far back behind the head people would be able to focus on the milk around the lips! Hahahahahahahahahaha, yup, I'm jealous a bit, and payback is a *****! Very cool man, waiting to hear the skull size on that bad boy!!

Excellent! Well done, Chuck. Just back from an attempt at spot and stalk brown of my own, but unsuccessful on my end. Patience pays off, eh?

Heck of a bear!! Really awesome getting that close and keeping your cool long enough to let an arrow fly. Congrats!

Congratulations........Super good looking bear.

Awesome bear. Congratulations! Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive. Maybe next year you could try a spear or maybe a wrist rocket!!

congrats on a nice bear,that is a dandy trophy with a bow,does not get any better very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive.
    Yeah, he's gonna be spoiled now...... Other than helping out the moose population, after killing a bear like that with a bow, killing another one with anything else would seem like a step backwards......lol

A fine bear Chuck... and a whole other element to the hunt doing it with a bow. You da man!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's a fine bear - congrats and well done!! I love the juice of being in close on big browns.

Great job! Do you have a 'backup' weaponry available if something goes awry when u got him?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Awesome bear. Congratulations! Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive. Maybe next year you could try a spear or maybe a wrist rocket!!
    In all actuality, I have a 375 H&H that I specifically purchased for coastal Brownies, and I am itching to use it someday either on the pen or Kodiak if I can ever get myself to plan the hunt instead of relying on draw permits. There's just something about hunting with a big bore I want to experience...

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Great job! Do you have a 'backup' weaponry available if something goes awry when u got him?
    Yes, On all my bow hunts up here, I'm packing a S&W 629 in .44 Mag strapped to my Diamond D chest holster. fortunately I never had to use it.

That sir is a fat headed bear,heck of a good job there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What a rush to kill a big bear at 19 yds! How far did the bear go after the shot? What bow & broadhead did you use? What did the bear square?

Very impressive Chuck! Congrats!

That's a heck of a bear Chuck...congrats!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Congrats again Chuck. Beautiful bear and I can't wait to see it in real life. The Kahahawai family is on a mean lucky streak for sure!

Chris

What a great bear kaha. ill probably never experience the thrill of spot and stalk brown bear with a bow, its quite an accomplishment. Congrats!

Very nice - good job!

Your livin the dream brother! Ever since I had the first one under my belt I have been working for a big boy!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast