Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swim step kicker mount...

Default Swim step kicker mount...

I'm currently dealing with the frustration and worry of my current kicker set up. I've got a 24' Bayliner with a full swim step and a small kicker mount bolted to that. The engine seams to flex the swim step when it bounces or is given anything beyond idle in gear and I'm fearing the worst down the road. It's a 2001 bigfoot 9.9 and if feels fairly heavy. I can handle it by myself but it's not easy. Around 120lbs

Anyone have any experience dealing with an issue similar to this. I've seem a lot of aftermarket brackets but the would either raise the motor out of the water if the were mounted above the swim step or two low if mounted under the swim step...

Even something custom that bolts under the swim step to the transom would be great. I'd like to keep the full swim step as its been very handy to have for the kiddos..

This is a photo of the same boat I have without the kicker. You can see it's not a beefy step.

No picture ?? Sounds like you need to beef up the step where the motor mounts, maybe some kind of aluminum plate bolted to the bottom of the step and then a gusseted mount into the transom of the boat ?? or maybe some type of pipe legs going from the transom down to the outboard mount. I'm assuming the step is plywood covered with fiberglass so anywhere a bolt/fastener goes through it it should be decored/sealed and filled with hull & deck putty so the core doesn't absorb water and delaminate/rot. Cut the step narrower so you can mount the outboard on a proper mount bolted to the transom.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have been looking for one for my 2859. Found Saltboss on the web. I think it would solve all of your concerns. I am sure you could have one similar fabricated locally.

Okay some pictures... I think I found a solution

I did see the saltboss and those rock but wouldn't fit this application without spending lots of cash.

You can see the kicker bracket on there currently. I'm thinking of adding a support plate as seen in the last drawn image on the top and the bottom. The tabs on the one would bend down and bolt into the hull using the existing bolts. The almost square one would be on top sandwiching the swim step with mount bolted to it through the swim step as it currently is. And then adding another one of the support bar brackets to underneath the motor mount...

Thoughts... suggestion on a place to get the braces plates fabricated here in Anchorage?

I think you need to tie the outboard bracket into the hull as well a sandwich it to the swim platformswim.JPG.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

It'll be tied into the hull under the step. The bracket with the two fins will be bent down with welded braces and two 3/8 bolts will tie it in they will replace the two leftmost 1/4 inch bolts you see holding the top of the swim step. I lokked at hull directly behind the mount and there is a lot of stuff right there I'd have to relocate to run that route . so i went the uner the step route . its lasted over a decade as is so anything will be an imprivement .

not to find a shop for this simple job...

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWAK View Post
    It'll be tied into the hull under the step. The bracket with the two fins will be bent down with welded braces and two 3/8 bolts will tie it in they will replace the two leftmost 1/4 inch bolts you see holding the top of the swim step. I lokked at hull directly behind the mount and there is a lot of stuff right there I'd have to relocate to run that route . so i went the uner the step route . its lasted over a decade as is so anything will be an imprivement .

look up AKmud on here, Rob can make you whatever you'll need.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I would make it stronger just to be sure there no problems in the future.

ANyone got one of these... off a trophy or bayliner.... There is a longer versione of this that would work just fine too.... the braket is 3 x 1 on the back side and about 1.5 inches tall......

I could really use one or more......

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Mine are all in use, but it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.

Thats what I thought but to get a matching one I got a $200 quote....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Thats what I thought but to get a matching one I got a $200 quote....
    $200? Geez, thats a bit steep!!! I'd try contacting Greatland Welding and a few other shops that do work on boats. These guys do a fair amount of transom extensions etc and very well may have something like this laying around.

ANyone got one of these... off a trophy or bayliner.... There is a longer versione of this that would work just fine too.... the braket is 3 x 1 on the back side and about 1.5 inches tall......

I could really use one or more......

aluminum angle and flat stock or pipe and make some in a hour or less.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I'd like to go with an oem style (all stainless) so they will all match..... It's that darn bracket that makes everything difficult. It fits 7/8 pipe and everything is either half inch or 1 1/2 inch in that style.... I wish they had boat salvage yards up here.... couldn't find any listing for one.

It sounds like it's S.S. tubing not pipe. I know Greer Tank order some S.S. tubing for a airboat a long time ago also I would tried a Upholstery Shop that makes boat tops?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Solution found on the the support bars for those who might be looking. I found the swivel brackets in stock and on clearance at http://www.shortsmarineparts.com/ . The have a bunch of them and they aren't moving... 4.99 each. The stock a lot of Bayliner parts and if they have it in stock they are willing to ship USPS to AK ( A huge deal for some of us).

For the tubing I found that at http://www.dowlandbach.com/products-...eel-materials/ . THey were very helpful in getting the correct tubing and helping understand the different grades for the application I was using it for. It was 10.50 a ft for the thicker high grade SS 7/8 tubing. Not the cheapest I found but the service more than made up for it. I'll throw a pic up after I get the new ones made next to the original ones. Hopefully these two link alone will help the next guy out.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    They were nice but didn't have what I needed....

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    It sounds like it's S.S. tubing not pipe. I know Greer Tank order some S.S. tubing for a airboat a long time ago also I would tried a Upholstery Shop that makes boat tops?
    They didn't have any... Bummer cause I drive right by there every day...

It was 10.50 a ft for the thicker high grade SS 7/8 tubing. .
    Let hope it's marine grade 314 or 316 S.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast