Thread: Green horn wanting knowledge

Post Green horn wanting knowledge

Hey everyone I am new to the whole bear baiting thing and looking for someone to teach or show me the ropes if willing.

*****I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANYONES SECRET HONEY HOLES! Just looking for someone to teach

My family doesn't hunt so I am doing research on the good ol google, but I would love to learn everything I can and teach it to my kid.

If you could give tips, ill take it.

I'll tell you this. Don't spend too much money on bait! Bears will smell and eat just about anything. Most of the time you can get expired bakery or meat products from the grocery store for really cheap or free. Check with restaurants for old fry grease. Bait 'em 907 has some great products to enhance the scent which I like to use. They are kind of spendy though. The bulk of your bait should be cheap, easily obtained bulk products. This year we had good luck with bread as our main bait and we spread a few scents on it for good measure. However, the scents may not have been totally necessary as the bread is pretty smelly on its own.

Great info. Thanks ck

Cheapest dog food you can find
    Make your own syrup with sugar and water and flavoring - maple or otherwise
    Dry Jello in an old sock for a drip bag
    Kitchen scraps (we have a separate freezer to store anything that gets thrown out from our kitchen)
    Watch the grocery store for sales on extracts in the spice dept
    Vanilla extract from Sam's club is pretty inexpensive
    Take empty yogurt containers, turn upside down, run a piece of wire through it and skewer some cotton balls. Soak the cotton with scent and pull the wire up - it will shield your scent from rain - mark with a piece of tape and hang it high in the trees.

Sent you an e-mail.

BEARBOB

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    I'll tell you this. Don't spend too much money on bait! Bears will smell and eat just about anything. Most of the time you can get expired bakery or meat products from the grocery store for really cheap or free. Check with restaurants for old fry grease. Bait 'em 907 has some great products to enhance the scent which I like to use. They are kind of spendy though. The bulk of your bait should be cheap, easily obtained bulk products. This year we had good luck with bread as our main bait and we spread a few scents on it for good measure. However, the scents may not have been totally necessary as the bread is pretty smelly on its own.
    This.

I used to go to Walmart/3 Bears and get a bag of COB (corn oats barley) premixed with molasses. Mix it with some molasses and marshmallows, and mix it up with a stick. It turns into a great big candy bar.

Scent, scent and more scent. Once they find it, they'll eat it.

Get off the beaten path and you'll have better success. PM if you want to know anything more.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.