Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Seward/ Whittier

Default Fishing Seward/ Whittier

Hi everyone!!
    Born and raised here. Took some time to get a boat. I've really appreciated the help I asked for running the Deshka. Loved fishing there, my family and I had a lot of fun. Been saving money and purchased a boat with higher sides for more saltwater fishing. We want to halibut fish now and were wondering any good areas on Seward ( canines head) and Whittier for halibut / rockfish? Just a few spots to get us started. I purchased a nice garmin to help with accuracy. Looking forward to fishing halibut, thanks!!

Seward over Whittier, head east cape junken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size of boat do you have now? If it is like an 18 foot sea skiff or zodiac, maybe you should think about going out of anchor point for those halibut you speak of. You don't have to go very far out, and it is not that much longer of a drive. kids can clam while you catch the butts.

I took my 18'er out to Cape Junken last Saturday and Sunday. My lower back was sore both days. 1st day we limited on butts. 2nd day we got skunked on butts.

"They're Everywhere" "They're Everywhere"

ya right.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Seward over Whittier, head east cape junken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Short and sweet and to the point.

Fishing out of Whittier can be very good, but expect to make long runs and put in a fair amount of time to be able to consistently get into fish. Seward is no guarantee, but I've almost always done better getting fish on the boat out of Seward.

Seward for fishing, Whittier for boating (and shrimping).
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Whittier is doable with much better protection for a smaller boat. Look for sandy or gravel humps on the chart and fish 250-280 ft deep. Best bite comes on the changing tide, but don't expect to hook up every time you go out. However, my wife an I did get 3 decent butts and 6 cod in half an hour last weekend; lost a butt and a cod as well in that same time. I decided to stop after I realized I had to clean all of them and pull shrimp pots that evening. The bite was still on, as far as I know, when we left. We were fishing in 280 ft of water on a gravel/sand ridge about 30 miles south from the harbor. Weekend before last I caught a 54 inch butt up in Port Wells in 245 ft of water on gravel; immediate catch on a turning tide and the only bite all day, but worth it.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm excited to fish, but unsure where to go. I have a 2005 19 1/2 ft Alumaweld Stryker with 3 1/2 ft sides. I also purchased a Garmin Echomap 50 series with GPS/Sonar. I'm not sure if you can see the boat in my profile and I have no idea how to download pics on here. Thought of Anchor Point many times, but I'm not sure where to launch. I don't want to pay the fee at deep creek. Is there a way to unload smaller boats on the beach somewhere, maybe with a smaller fee? Heard of people doing it, but I don't want to get stuck. My trailer is about 24 ft with a long neck to the hitch, so my tires never touch water. Clamming is a very good idea, we need to do that too

Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. There was another gentleman who mentioned Junken, not sure where that is. Near the Thumb Cove side?

I've been researching on decent halibut rods and reels. What a headache! So many choices. i'm looking to spend about $200 on rod and reel, hopefully. Trying to get a somewhat lighter rod I can jig with also, thinking around 6 5' ft pole. Ugly stick Tiger, maybe with a $150 nicer reel? Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Messaging me would be fine too, for spots

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    I've been researching on decent halibut rods and reels. What a headache! So many choices. i'm looking to spend about $200 on rod and reel, hopefully. Trying to get a somewhat lighter rod I can jig with also, thinking around 6 5' ft pole. Ugly stick Tiger, maybe with a $150 nicer reel? Any suggestions would be much appreciated
    My ugly stick tiger and 2 speed avet mx have hauled in many halibut out of my kayaks no problem. But my avet sx and ugly stick salmon rod do just as well and it's more of a fun fight

I'd look at the shimano charter special 2000 if you want a level wind, or the tld 15 if you don't and replace the drag washer with a carbon tex.

Or if you're interested in a used reel I have a pair of tld 15's I'm selling with the carbon tex drag washer and an aftermarket crank installed, $100 ea OBO.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

I scored a great deal in two wright and McGill halibut rods. I liked them for the jigging I can do. Light weight and 7' rods. Looking at a pen squall 40. $130 online with shipping. Lever wind and open reel. 6.1 ratio. I believe it will work for 30+ butts. Any options from the more experienced is appreciated! I guess the squalls are similar to the internationals, from what I researched.

a lot of us go overboard on rods and reels. My uncle uses a medium action 7' salmon uglistick for his butts and rockfishin duties. He put a cabela's linecounter trolling reel (very small) on it (the reel/with a different rod combo was 50$ at cabelas). He put some 50 pound spiderwire on it and it works just fine for butt and rockfish.

I should clarify that the biggest butt he has caught on that setup was 50 pounds. I am pretty sure that he could have handled a 100 pounder with it.

The specs on the squall 40 look good to me, 21 oz weight and 20#'s of drag. Should have no problem with fish up to 100#'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    a lot of us go overboard on rods and reels. My uncle uses a medium action 7' salmon uglistick for his butts and rockfishin duties. He put a cabela's linecounter trolling reel (very small) on it (the reel/with a different rod combo was 50$ at cabelas). He put some 50 pound spiderwire on it and it works just fine for butt and rockfish.

I should clarify that the biggest butt he has caught on that setup was 50 pounds. I am pretty sure that he could have handled a 100 pounder with it.
    Agreed. People like to have nice stuff, but I have seen a couple 100lb halibut caught with a cheap Kmart spin cast combo with cheap 30lb mono line. I say buy the best you can afford and not worry too much about it. I will say though, it's nice to have A durable lightweight rod reel combo

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Not trying to hijack but Paul are those reels lefty ? Pic sure looks like it
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Not trying to hijack but Paul are those reels lefty ? Pic sure looks like it
    Standard right hand conventional reels have the cranks on the right.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I scored a great deal in two wright and McGill halibut rods. I liked them for the jigging I can do. Light weight and 7' rods. Looking at a pen squall 40. $130 online with shipping. Lever wind and open reel. 6.1 ratio. I believe it will work for 30+ butts. Any options from the more experienced is appreciated! I guess the squalls are similar to the internationals, from what I researched.
    Beware of high speed gear ratios as they feel like you are cranking a ton of weight all the time. Gear from 4:1-5:1 are better suited for anything over a pound on the line. I've always preferred mine in the 4.1:1 or 4.3:1 ratio.

I would seriously consider Paul's reels to start and then save a few bills for a very nice reel.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Anybody have thoughts on my 18' Lund / 35OB going to Cape Junken? Bull, I guess your Sea Runner makes it ok. Looking for some halibut within reach of the "new" boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast