Thread: Kuiu gear

Default Kuiu gear

I have been looking at kuiu's rain gear, the Chugach and the Yukon series.
    I have come across a couple complaints about the water "resistant" zippers.
    Some complained about pockets being soaked after some light brush busting
    or in a all day downpour. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these setups
    Just wanting to see if anybody that has either of these setups, has experienced any
    similar problems? Thxs

The only complaints as far as zippers I've heard have been from the yukon series zippers. They leak

No problems at all with my Yukon gear. I put them through hell last year with not a single leak or puncture from hiking in the alders and salmonberry bushes. I wore the pants everyday, all day during a sheep hunt and loved them. They'll be the only pants I take on this years sheep hunt as well.

Love my Chugach, I bought it right before the NX came out, but I don't need to upgrade yet..

Thxs for the response, both setups seem to have a lot of positive reviews. Probably start out wih
    chugach and see how it goes. Thxs again

Guess I'll keep this going for a bit longer, anyways curious as to what temperature/conditions
    would make you reach for the Yukon over the chugach? If anybody has both? Can't quite
    decide which one to get. Thxs

I have the Yukon jacket. It's been with me everywhere from fishing in sporadic downpours to sitting on whitetail hunts back in KS for hours on end in some brutal Kansas wind. I've busted trail in wet country and haven't had any rips or tears. No leaks on any of my YKK zippers as of yet. I have nothing but good things to say about the Yukon jacket. It has handled all I can throw at it so far. We'll see how it handles my 10 days in the bush come September. I imagine I'll be living in that thing. But like I said, I've worn that thing in some nasty stuff and I've never had a leak.

The reason I went with the Yukon over the Chugach is because after reading a million reviews and scouring the forums I came to the decision that the Yukon is more durable than the Chugach. I've never got my hands on the Chugach, but as careless as I can be about watching out for Devils club or anything else you could snag your gear on, I decided that I'd pay a little extra to account for the way I tend to stomp through rough country. You'll have to let us know what you end up going with.

Hope this helps!!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

I have the Chugach jacket and pants as well as the Yukon pants. I got the Yukon pants when Kuiu upgraded me after the Chugach pants developed holes olong the top edge of the taller reinforced cuffs after just a few hours of trail hiking. I still have a gray pair of Chugach pants I where for very light duty general use but would never trust them to hold up on a hunt. The Yukon pants on the other hand are very sturdy and great for all day wear. The Chugach jacket is great as well.

I've found the pockets on the Chugach jacket will leak. There is a storm flap over the zipper but water will run down the jacket and behind the flap at the top and if you don't have the zippers sinched up tight against the top water will sneak through. Be sure to sinch these zippers up tight or you'll run water right into the pockets.

How noisy are the Yukon rain pants?

About as noisy as carhartt insulated coveralls. I've worn them on stalks and as long as you're not rubbing your thighs together like two sticks trying to start a fire, they're plenty quiet.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.