Thread: Haul Road Bou

Default Haul Road Bou

I will be heading up to the Haul Rd for Bou, but can only go 4-11 Aug. I've never been up there that early, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea where they will be that time of year.
    Thanks

They are going to be way north. Bugs will suck.

Do yourself a favor and go back in the archives here and check out reports from past years. People always talk on here about where the caribou were when they were up there. So go back and check out haul road caribou posts for August... you should get a pretty good idea.

To say where they will be from year to year is futile. They go where they go with no rhyme or reason sometimes. Sometimes they arrive early, sometimes late. If you read reports from past years, it will give you a pretty good overall picture.

"The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

drive until you find them. about 45 min after you get over Anigun pass start looking. They could be there or could be all the way up to franklin bluff
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default been there during early aug

hey i have hunted there in early aug, bug dope is a must seen a few caribou by the boat launch and pump station 2 i believe, me and my friends hiked in 5 miles, only saw one small bull out past 5 mile, wished i brought my fly pole the creeks where full of grayling. good luck

I ususally go during that time frame and they are usually around pump 2 or just south. You can find bou from that area all the way to Deadhorse though. Like someone else said, start looking after Atigun/ Gailbreth (SP?) Lake area, but dont be surprised if you dont see them for a bit. Good luck!

Default Thanks

Ronster,
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for the info.

If the bugs are anything like in the interior up north (which I suspect they are) I'd reccomend a head net for sure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Twice

I have been up there three times around that time. The bugs were tame unless you were knee deep in water and moss. Might just be me. For sitting if not windy a Thermacell would work great. If they are really bad, Ben's 100% is the best.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

bugs are bad... I tried the head net but them little rascals found there way in my net. I just use spray
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I hunted above Galbraith Lake last August and the bugs were surprisingly tame. The only time I used the headnet was when I was skinning out the caribou. It was not that windy, just caught a break. It was a great trip. Enjoy the beautiful country. But be prepared for a horrible pack. I've never walked 3 miles on a pillowtop mattress before.

2nd the Bens, the headnet is of course in addition to the DEET
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Forgot

I forgot: Muskoil 40% DEET in the spray can. Worked really well and does not hurt plastics like the 100%. The spray allows you to cover areas like the back of your neck better too and your waist in the rear. Got to protect those butt crack areas.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My son and I have hunted the Haul Road the first or second week of Aug 3 or 4 years in a row now, and heve not found the bugs to be all that bad. Mostly there are lots of white sox, which are annoying, but usually don't bite all that much.

That changes, though, when you cut an animal open, especially on a hot sunny day. Then billions of them will show up, biting like crazy. Be sure you keep a headnet in your pack while hunting. I did not the first year, and had to step away from the animal every minute or so, in order to take a breath; the bugs were so thick around me I inhaled them and choked if I didn't. At that point, I don't think bug dope would have mattered.

Also, wear gloves when you gut the animal. If you get blood all over your hands and arms, and cannot wash it off (there isn't much water around) the white sox will go for your bloody hands like there's no tomorrow!! Moist towlettes are helpful too, to keep your hands and arms clean.