Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any duckworths on here?

Default Any duckworths on here?

Hello,

New to me '04 duckworth advantage. 350, kodiak 3-stage w/ 200 hrs. It would seem near impossible to find much info on the net at all about guys using these boats in shallows etc, or using them all! Hoping to hear from some folks running these here in the state, and to get some ideas about the performance etc. My wife's uncle runs a 1991 18' duck with a 302, and he has been very pleased with his performance.

I really wanted an OB wooldridge, but each one that I looked at was either too high of hours/money, or beat to snot on the rocks. This duckworth was a lot of boat for the money, and in superb condition.

Any input or experience would be appreciated.
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

A few photos:

~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

I had a 20' Duckworth with a 150 horse Suzuki that I fished like crazy out of on the Columbia river before I moved up here. It was a great boat, wish I would have moved it up here. I think that boat was a lot better built than the Hewescraft I currently own.
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

That should be a great boat with a good jet/motor combination.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I had a 20' Duckworth with a 150 horse Suzuki that I fished like crazy out of on the Columbia river before I moved up here. It was a great boat, wish I would have moved it up here. I think that boat was a lot better built than the Hewescraft I currently own.

What year was the hull on your 20'? I hear the older ones ride like iron. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by boondockinak View Post
    What year was the hull on your 20'? I hear the older ones ride like iron. TIA
    It was a '95 if I remember correctly
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

your boat and mine come out of the same shop, built side by side. mine rides very nice, i have been in north river, jetcraft, alumiweld boats and the ride is compareable if not better. expect to be able to run in 8" depending on load on step, my depth finder i set to alarm at 10" and it goes off quite a bit. on average i burn 10gph but my motor\jet set up is different than yours. i dont think you can go wrong with a Duck
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    your boat and mine come out of the same shop, built side by side. mine rides very nice, i have been in north river, jetcraft, alumiweld boats and the ride is compareable if not better. expect to be able to run in 8" depending on load on step, my depth finder i set to alarm at 10" and it goes off quite a bit. on average i burn 10gph but my motor\jet set up is different than yours. i dont think you can go wrong with a Duck

What motor/jet combo are you running? Post up pics!

Specs on the duck:

72" bottom, 93" beam. Suspension seats, dual wipers. Large swim step, 8-horse 4-stroke kicker. Large humminbird GPS/depth finder/fish combo. I read of folks upgrading to SS impellers on boats newer than mine, but mine already has SS? I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

I've seen mixed opinions on the kodiak 3-stage. Any pros/cons short of rebuild cost?

i am running a MP 350 carb with a AT 309SD SS impeller
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Nice looking boat. Looks like a twin to mine (with the exception that it's 1' longer). How does one go about figuring out the weight on one of these? Reason being, this thing seems flipping heavy. I understand that this is a heavier boat, but I've heard that a guy can have some water logged insulation on his hands, if the water is left un-evacuated for long periods of time. I was super shocked to feel how heavy this thing felt behind my cummins... If I had to throw a SWAG at it, I would put it at around 3,000-3,500+ lbs. The fellow I bought it from didn't do anything to cover the boat or anything, and I didn't hardly see a drop of water in the bottom of the boat. Made me wonder....

Thanks for all of the information.

you are looking at 2500# dry according to Duckworth. Add 62 gallons of fuel @ 6.3 lbs. = 390 lbs plus oil and coolent, you are at about 3000#. My '09 f-150 with a 5.4 pulls the boat with out issue. Water logged foam is always an option for added weight. i know people who have pulled out about 300# of water logged foam out. Pull up the floor boards and take a look. My boat is washed inside and out after each outing and i have no doubt that after 8 years i am hauling water logged foam and probably 50 lbs of sand in the bottom under the floor boards.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

I suppose I should restate that, my cummins obviously didn't have an issue, but I was surprised how easily I knew it was back there. I noticed that it appears that your self bailing bow is a little deeper than mine. That's a nice feature.

it work well for the anchor and rope, but you can also put a lot more water in it when you burry the bow in white water...... dont ask how i know
    Their as some small but noticable differences between the 19 and 20 foot models
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

I was reading on this website and mean chicken, and I think my boat has the issue of porpoising. Take alook at the following pictures of the back section of boat, where the bottom of the boat extends past the back about 1.25". Is that bent enough to cause an issue? Currently, if I'm cruising at about 35, and hit any kind of wave, it starts to bounce really hard, long after the wave is gone, until I slow it down....

did I mention that she's wiiiiide:

If you bend that down 1/16" or 1/32" on both sides it should stop your problem. A big crescent wrench will work but don't over do it .
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    If you bend that down 1/16" or 1/32" on both sides it should stop your problem. A big crescent wrench will work but don't over do it .

Thanks. Mike at pro marine said the same thing. I'll try that and post back what I find.

^^^^^^^ Agreed dont over do it....
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Finally got the opertunity to do some river running. Went fishing on the deshka fri-sat and had a blast. Overall the boat performed really well and I am very impressed. Got a crash course on running some skinny water on the deshka and its highly addictive... Made a mistake that I normally would shake my head at seeing someone else make, but in the heat of the moment made myself. The boat was really seeming to run rough with a lack of power when I left the landing, and throughout the trip. Seemed like I was needing way more throttle than usual. Was inspecting later and found a spark plug wire disconnected from when I was checking plug gap the other day! Needless to say the trip back it was a real kick in the pants with all that extra power. Even fully wet with way to much gear, it didn't even seem to break a sweat. Havnt gotten a chance to adjust the back edge of the boat yet, and as a result it was still porpoising at any speeds higher than about 28mph. It's on my to do list.

nothing better than getting on the water, glad to hear you like your boat. Get that porpoising cleared up and she will be one sweet ride
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast