Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upper chena conditions?

Default upper chena conditions?

Anyone fished the upper chena lately? Looking for the current conditions. Might take a trip down the road tomorrow been itching to throw some flies.

Thanks
    Dave

Fished it the other day. The wind was horrible. The water was clear and about average flow. The fishing was slow. We fished from Rosehip, up a few miles. My buddy caught a nice 19" hog though. I think we ended up catching 8-10 fish combined. Its till early.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

They're pretty far up the river but it's spotty - you can find them but you'll have to work for it. I was up the road yesterday morning and on my way out early afternoon the hordes were arriving, huge numbers of people coming in.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

The Aluminum Hatch Began Eh! I will wait for Weds Next week :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    The Aluminum Hatch Began Eh!
    That's a very nice turn of phrase! It also seemed like every second car was towing a trailer with a side-by-side (or four). At any rate I'm not going back until the holiday's over but I think fishing is going to be picking up quite a bit shortly. It has been windy but it's been an opportunity to work on both my casting and on my leader untangling skills.

We caught a couple in the river last weekend. They seemed to be in good numbers. I threw everything I had except a grenade at them and finally gave up! I will bring some form of explosive next time!

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    We caught a couple in the river last weekend. They seemed to be in good numbers. I threw everything I had except a grenade at them and finally gave up! I will bring some form of explosive next time!
    No explosive necessary! I went up to the end of the road yesterday and fished my way back down, and it looks like we're back in a where-there's-water-there's-fish situation. But the water is cold and so the fish are moving a little slowly, and that's how you need to fish them. I didn't catch a lot of fish yesterday but I did catch some quite gorgeous ones, with two that I thought were pretty spectacular. It's excellent to be fishing again.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    No explosive necessary! I went up to the end of the road yesterday and fished my way back down, and it looks like we're back in a where-there's-water-there's-fish situation. But the water is cold and so the fish are moving a little slowly, and that's how you need to fish them. I didn't catch a lot of fish yesterday but I did catch some quite gorgeous ones, with two that I thought were pretty spectacular. It's excellent to be fishing again.

I would agree it did feel good to be fishing and as soon as i am done watching bears i will do it more. I failed to mention that one of the two I caught was a wall hanger! I couldn't get my hand around it (I have man hands to!) and was very nice colorwise.

You guys were spot on with the "aluminum hatch" in full swing. Brought the wife out there on holiday weekend to get her to try some fly fishing and people were everywhere, I don't know what I was thinking. We had a few small rises but nothing great, still nice to spend some time outside. I'm going to head back Tuesday night and Wednesday for the day if anyones up that way and wants to throw some flies give me a shout.

If you've got waders it's pretty easy to get away from the crowds once the fish settle in for the summer (as they've now done) and get a nice stretch of good fishing to yourself. Even on the 4th of July weekend you don't have to walk far to get away from the hordes and not see another soul. But, waders.

The river's been high and it's currently a little dirty, but there's still some good fishing to be had. A pretty good rule of thumb is that if the gage at the second bridge is above 16' the fishing's going to be a little more challenging. We're right at about 16' but it's on its way down and it can fall pretty fast once the rain runs off.

I'm fishing most days these days and may be around for a bit - I tend to go pretty far towards the end of the road. Drive a black Land Cruiser with a Yukon Quest sticker on it, look for a bespectacled grey-haired old (well, not *that* old) lady.

Caught a few Sunday night, nothing real big but a few 13-14 inchers most around 9 caught on bead head wolly bugger

how far up did you go Ron?

Has the Upper Chena come down at all? Wondering about heading up there for some grayling fishing tomorrow.

Or does anyone have any reports on the Chatanika?

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou1 View Post
    Has the Upper Chena come down at all? Wondering about heading up there for some grayling fishing tomorrow.

Or does anyone have any reports on the Chatanika?
    I think tomorrow might be pushing it... The gauge at 40 mile currently reads 17.4 and dropping, but not dropping rapidly. I'll fish at 16 while it's on a steep decline, but even then you need to adjust your expectations. Recent rains will keep that drop from occurring too quickly. A good friend of mine runs all the park sites up there, and he was telling me stories of dumpsters floating around the parking areas. If it was me, I'd look elsewhere for a few days. Focus on some sloughs or lakes?
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Rivers are blown out, running chocolate brown...go fish a lake...

I have to think Chatanika and Nome Creek our swollen too, no? Anybody been up there lately?

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    If it was me, I'd look elsewhere for a few days. Focus on some sloughs or lakes?
    You can often find good fishing in sloughs off the upper Chena when water's high, although when it's this dirty it's going to be extremely slow. Pond fishing has been excellent, but it's pond fishing. You can sometimes do well at the far upper reaches where the water's very skinny to start with, but I haven't been up during this high water time so I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I have to think Chatanika and Nome Creek our swollen too, no? Anybody been up there lately?
    Drove up saturday hiking, both look fishable. ( kinda wish I brought the rod!)

Default Here we go again???

Man...can't catch a break recently. Let's hope their forecast model is a bit off and things will be fishable by this weekend. Below is an excerpt from a special weather statement:

HEAVY RAINFALL IS EXPECTED MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT OVER PARTS OF THE EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN ALASKA INTERIOR...
    FROM 12 NOON MONDAY TO 12 NOON WEDNESDAY... THE FOLLOWING TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED...
    CHENA RIVER BASIN... ..0.5 TO 1.5 INCHES. SALCHA RIVER BASIN... ..1 TO 2 INCHES. GOODPASTER RIVER BASIN... ..1.5 TO 2.5 INCHES.

RAINFALL FROM THE TWO RECENT EVENTS HAS SATURATED THE GROUND. THE ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL WILL LIKELY BRING THE UPPER CHENA... SALCHA... AND GOODPASTER RIVERS CLOSE TO FLOOD STAGE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. HIGH WATER LEVELS AND FLOATING DEBRIS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS FOR BOATERS. GRAVEL BARS ON THE RIVERS MAY BE INUNDATED.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

It's not looking good - there's a huge blob of yellow on the weather map that's coming straight for us. As much as I love to fish I'm glad that this means that we're not going to be dealing with fires (we evacuated twice last year). We've got light rain right now in Two Rivers.

I went up last night and where there were fish it was a fish on every cast (very slow-moving sloughs in the rec area). But, really, *really* spotty in terms of location. Hate to say it but I think it's going to be 10 days before there's "regular" fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast