Thread: My SL5 with stove test run

Default My SL5 with stove test run

I got a SL5 last year and had a stove jack installed for the ed t stove. Last weekend was my first go round with it and I am quite impressed. I left the nest at home and quickly regretted it with the mosquito swarm in the tent. I had a 1/2 nest like Luke and beccas made and think I am going to really like it. Stove worked good but seems to be either on or off. I need to keep playing with it some more. Thought I would share some pics.

Nice set up Tekla! Where did you get the nest made for your sl-5? I'm looking to get one in mine as well. Also, who installed the jack for you?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I had barb at Alaska leather sew it in. She does good work. I got the nest from bearpaw designs.
    http://bearpawwd.com just call them up and tell them what you want. I went with silnylon sides bathtub floor and mosquito net on the side with he stove. I think if I did it again I would get the silnylon and the net on the stove side so you could use either one.

Great looking setup man!!! Those stoves are oh so nice when its wet and cold out.

I run the same setup but with a sod skirt bottom. I'm running an XL Ti stove in mine. It's big but I just build a smaller fire. Then I can use it in my larger tepee. My SL5 has Epic fabric and when the moisture starts flying it breaths well. The sod skirt is great in situations where the surface is uneven. Enjoy your sweet shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    ...... I went with silnylon sides bathtub floor and mosquito net on the side with he stove. I think if I did it again I would get the silnylon and the net on the stove side so you could use either one.
    Maybe I'm just dense...but...I'm not following what you did here or would do with the nest.

I was thinking of using one of their net bivi's to sleep in but your idea of a half nest is better...or one that leaves the stove outside the nest where it belongs. I'm also thinking a sod skirt is a good idea too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    My SL5 has Epic fabric and when the moisture starts flying it breaths well. .
    As "Lowrider" said...."Maybe I'm just dense".......lol, but by you saying "My" (as if yours was different than other SL5s), and then capitalizing the word "Epic" you have me wondering about the fabric. So I went to the website to look and see if they made the tent with different fabrics....meaning one of them was made with a fabric they named "Epic". I have the SL3 and was wondering if maybe the 5 was made out of different stuff? I didn't see any mention of different fabrics. Did you get a SL5 custom made with different fabric, or did you just mean you just really like the fabric, ie, think it's "epic"...??? I would imagine the latter....???

Sorry, but had to ask, because I noticed that with 2 people and the nest in place it seemed to hold in the moisture pretty good. But that may only have to do with the very fine mesh they use, and the fact that it was very moist conditions the last goat hunt I was on. Probably shouldn't have used the nest but I've always liked the idea of a floor under me when it's rainy out.....as in a creek possibly running under my bag in the middle of the night......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My nest is only half of the tent. The outside walls are nylon and the inner section is a net. The stove sits off to one side and can still warm up the nest through the net while keeping the bugs out. I was thinking that if I did it again I would have a nylon wall on the inside and a net so I could chose either or depending on the type of camping. Sometimes I don't use my stove and would like the solid wall on the inside. Just got a sawtooth for kodiak this season and am anxious to test it out compared to the sl5.

Thanks Tekla! That cleared the "fog" for me.

I have a 12 x12 Cabela's guide tent that I'm thinking of doing the same type of thing, but really hate to cut the floor out of part of the tent just to keep the dirt and mud out of the rest of the tent. The other thought is have zip on porch roof that I could use to take off the boots and put on camp shoes to keep the muck out of the tent and maybe to cook under if the weather is bad....gotta play with that idea some more.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a stove jack that I was planning on installing in the vestibule of my guide tent.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Bighorse,

Set up my SL5 today to try to figure out where I should place the stove jack and the fact that you had a sod skirt sewn on yours really made me wonder if that wouldn't be great idea to increase the useful size of the SL5. How big/wide is your skirt and do you find it worthwhile?